Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

I think Fraser is a flatter-to-deceive guy, frankly. His strengths are linking play as well as some good long ball passes when he is afforded the time/space to make them from deeper midfield positions, but I am not confident in the defensive side of his game, maybe as a taller body in a low block, but what we really need from his spot, imo, is a big engine range guy to search and destroy to force midfield turnovers and feed our counter attacking track meet with Davies and Buchanan feeding David and Larin.  We'd all love to have a guy like Vancouver's Cubas emerge in that role but that is not happening, so I wonder how Marsch deals with?

17 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I have notifications turned on, nothing yet. They teased, and then announced the CANWNT pride friendly in Toronto (cool matchup), so I don’t know if we should expect two big pieces of news in a day.

Don't think they will want to overahadow that Canwnt news. But who knows?

Quite possibly we wait another day. Cue roster drop....

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

It’s more that they typically tease the announcement a few hours before it drops and they usually drop the announcement mid afternoon. Unless it’s a surprise drop, I think it’s too late in the day to drop it today.

And usually you hear from the media guys that a conference call with the manager is happening later that day too. Nothing on that front

Maybe slightly playing catchup but back from a looong weekend in the "greater" white north, I got to listen to all of Jesse Marsch on his last Call it What You Want. 

The centre back discussion was interesting.

He knows Bombito and mentioned him first - which was a great relief, to be honest, to me. 

As mentioned earlier, the others he named were MLS guys (almost, see below).  He mentioned Bombito and Hiebert played "in the same system" (I think those were the words).  Meaning a back 4? as compared to Waterman, sometimes Miller and maybe McGraw.

The other thing he mentioned was playing Johnston at CB, which he considered an option.

Pre-weekend roster prediction:

27-man roster

1. GK - Crepeau
  2. GK - St. Clair
  3. GK - Sirois
  4. RB - Johnston
  5. RB - De Fougerolles
  6. RCB - Waterman
  7. RCB - Bombito
  8. LCB - Miller
  9. LCB - Cornelius
  10. LCB - Kennedy
  11. LB - Ahmed
  12. CM - Eustaquio
  13. CM - Kone
  14. CM - Choniere
  15. CM - Piette
  16. CM - Fraser
  17. CM - Paton
  18. CM - Hoilett
  19. FW - Davies
  20. FW - Buchanan
  21. FW - Millar
  22. FW - David
  23. FW - Larin
  24. FW - Russel-Rowe
  25. FW - Ugbo
  26. FW - Bair
  27. FW - Corbeanu

Injured: Osorio, Adekugbe, Laryea 

Notable ommissions:

• Shaffleburg (things seem to have cooled down club-wise)
  • Borjan (I don't think we bring him back)
  • McGraw (not having a great season)
  • Brym & Nelson (both haven't done enough for the level they play at)
  • Zator & Loturi (no fault of their own, but too far down the depth chart for an A selection

There are a lot of players deserving of a look, but we cannot look at everyone, and as much as I would love to see a mega squad, I don't see us bringing more than 30. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

27-man roster

1. GK - Crepeau
  2. GK - St. Clair
  3. GK - Sirois
  4. RB - Johnston
  5. RB - De Fougerolles
  6. RCB - Waterman
  7. RCB - Bombito
  8. LCB - Miller
  9. LCB - Cornelius
  10. LCB - Kennedy
  11. LB - Ahmed
  12. CM - Eustaquio
  13. CM - Kone
  14. CM - Choniere
  15. CM - Piette
  16. CM - Fraser
  17. CM - Paton
  18. CM - Hoilett
  19. FW - Davies
  20. FW - Buchanan
  21. FW - Millar
  22. FW - David
  23. FW - Larin
  24. FW - Russel-Rowe
  25. FW - Ugbo
  26. FW - Bair
  27. FW - Corbeanu

Notable ommissions:

• Zator & Loturi (no fault of their own, but too far down the depth chart for an A selection

There are a lot of players deserving of a look, but we cannot look at everyone, and as much as I would love to see a mega squad, I don't see us bringing more than 30. 

Few observations, peferences

-  For me, Shaffellburg over Corbeanu, almost 7x the minutes this calendar year and relationship with the team. Scored some.

- LdF - has been playing centre back, but I guess if we want the option to play 4 at the back, we need some cover there. (Maybe Zator if that is really the case)

- Paton - position of need, has a number of appearances, almost the exact number of minutes this season as Loturi.  I wish I could see them more.

- Kennedy was subbed in the 70' (ish) 2 games ago and wasn't on the team sheet last game.  Not sure what his status is.

10 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Few observations, peferences

-  For me, Shaffellburg over Corbeanu, almost 7x the minutes this calendar year and relationship with the team. Scored some.

- LdF - has been playing centre back, but I guess if we want the option to play 4 at the back, we need some cover there. (Maybe Zator if that is really the case)

- Paton - position of need, has a number of appearances, almost the exact number of minutes this season as Loturi.  I wish I could see them more.

- Kennedy was subbed in the 70' (ish) 2 games ago and wasn't on the team sheet last game.  Not sure what his status is.

Shaffelburg vs Corbeanu is one I struggled over.

Ultimately though, Theo has played (albeit sparringly) for a club in La Liga. Moreover, he's been out too long not to be called for these two European based friendlies. Wasn't an easy decision for me. 

For Shaffelburg, I still rate him. He's been excellent for Canada. I haven't seen him with Nashville much this season, but they are struggling. He's starting for them still, but I basically sacrificed him for Corbeanu for this specific window. 

I guess the other thing you could do is not call a Kennedy (who's recently back from injury), but that would be 4 CBs on a 27 man squad. In a way I included Kennedy by default, as I think Marsch will want to see what he's got with him.

Paton is on there, at least for me. 

Shaff might get the edge for me based solely on his performances with Canada.  Yes, he is playing consistently with Nashville this season but like we've seen every year from him.  He's streaky.  And I can't sit here and say I've watched more than a couple Nashville games this season so I can't comment too much on play.  However, he hasn't scored in 12 games for Nashville since his double against Messi & Miami and only 2 assists in those 12 games after starting the season with 3 goals and 1 assist in his first 5 games this season.  But as I mentioned already, he's played well and scored twice in recent games for Canada, so I'm leaning towards his inclusion for the extended squad for sure.

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

I guess we can use this as a general news thread for the Copa too.

I noticed that Keylor Navas has recently announced his international retirement 

Man just wanted his summer off. I'm surprised he didn't retire after the tournament. 

On 5/24/2024 at 4:05 PM, Obinna said:

27-man roster

1. GK - Crepeau
  2. GK - St. Clair
  3. GK - Sirois
  4. RB - Johnston
  5. RB - De Fougerolles
  6. RCB - Waterman
  7. RCB - Bombito
  8. LCB - Miller
  9. LCB - Cornelius
  10. LCB - Kennedy
  11. LB - Ahmed
  12. CM - Eustaquio
  13. CM - Kone
  14. CM - Choniere
  15. CM - Piette
  16. CM - Fraser
  17. CM - Paton
  18. CM - Hoilett
  19. FW - Davies
  20. FW - Buchanan
  21. FW - Millar
  22. FW - David
  23. FW - Larin
  24. FW - Russel-Rowe
  25. FW - Ugbo
  26. FW - Bair
  27. FW - Corbeanu

Notable ommissions:

I'll take a stab at it myself but as far as my roster predictions go:

GK- Crepeau, St Clair and Sirois (3)

Defenders- Johnston, Miller, Bombito, Cornelius, Waterman, de Fougerolles, Kennedy, Ahmed (8)

Midfielders- Davies, Eustaquio, Piette, Kone, Choiniere, Hoilett (6)

Forwards- Buchanan, Millar, David, Ugbo, Larin, Corbeanu, Bair, Shaffelburg, Russell-Rowe (9)

3+8+6+9= 26

58 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

I'll take a stab at it myself but as far as my roster predictions go:

GK- Crepeau, St Clair and Sirois (3)

Defenders- Johnston, Miller, Bombito, Cornelius, Waterman, de Fougerolles, Kennedy, Ahmed (8)

Midfielders- Davies, Eustaquio, Piette, Kone, Choiniere, Hoilett (6)

Forwards- Buchanan, Millar, David, Ugbo, Larin, Corbeanu, Bair, Shaffelburg, Russell-Rowe (9)

3+8+6+9= 26

I think i’d remove a forward to make space for Osorio in the midfield. I feel he’s shown enough. 5 strikers is a lot, i don’t think that is where these games will be played.