Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

There's been very little reported about the play of Crepeau or St Clair.  Minnesota are in 2nd place and Portland currently last in the Western Conference. Has anyone watched their games? Team rankings don't necessarily reflect the play of the keeper, but it's a bit concerning that our starting keeper could be from a last place team in MLS. Anyone else concerned? 

I’ve kept my eye on Minnesota more for Tani than DSC, but digging into the numbers a bit more: Crepeau is one of the few starting keepers with a negative goals prevented rating, Portland is T-3 in goals scored this year, though 3rd to last in the conference, he has conceded the 4th most goals per game (Sirois 3rd).

DSC a little better- he’s 7th in fewest goals conceded, but he’s made the fifth fewest average saves per game this year. He also has the second lowest SofaScore for keepers in the league and is also leading the league in possessions lost per game by a keeper by a full 2 possessions per game. 

The sum is that crepeau is having a poor season, Sirois’ numbers are pretty comparable to his, DSC is having a better season but his numbers suggest that Minnesota is winning despite, not because of him. 

We won’t do it, especially because it seems that Swiderski may be called up as our 3rd keeper, but I’d give Gavran a shot, not because he’s a dual national, but because none of our other keepers are playing well, I think DSC doesn’t have the body of work to solidify a permanent spot, I don’t think Sirois has earned a lock either and Crepeau doesn’t inspire me right now. If he had the minimum number of games to be considered, Gavran would be leading the league for saves per game with 5, he’s preventing a whole 0.70 GPG more than our highest Canadian- so 3 goals every four games or so. 

I’ll also add that Portland’s CBs- especially kamal and ZMG are among the worst FotMob rated players in the league. On the other hand, Minnesota’s are some of the highest rated CBs in MLS. Not a 1:1 correlation, but I think Crepeau is playing with a leakier backline with is even worse as it pertains to us. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I’ll also add that Portland’s CBs- especially kamal and ZMG are among the worst FotMob rated players in the league. On the other hand, Minnesota’s are some of the highest rated CBs in MLS. Not a 1:1 correlation, but I think Crepeau is playing with a leakier backline with is even worse as it pertains to us. 

Great post.

Just want to add ZMG's rating is actually average league wise and 6th on Portland.  But ya, Kamal is 2nd last, only ahead of Crepeau on Portland and like bottom tenth league wise.  

I think this goes to show Fotmob's ratings fail to track one key detail....  If a player is not where he is supposed to be, or doesn't track defensive runs, the stats won't pick that up.  It's definitely been MacGraw's issue.  I had noticed the same with Edwards and Osorio last year (calm down Osorites, read the bold) where they'd have great ratings and running a tonne but were not doing anything defensively.

Bottom line, keeper is definitely an issue here and now.  Gavran seems to be having the best year, fingers crossed, hope he's closeted the Croatia flags.

Edited by costarg

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, costarg said:

Great post.

Just want to add ZMG's rating is actually average league wise and 6th on Portland.  But ya, Kamal is 2nd last, only ahead of Crepeau on Portland and like bottom tenth league wise.  

I think this goes to show Fotmob's ratings fail to track one key detail....  If a player is not where he is supposed to be, or doesn't track defensive runs, the stats won't pick that up.  It's definitely been MacGraw's issue.  I had noticed the same with Edwards and Osorio last year (calm down Osorites, read the bold) where they'd have great ratings and running a tonne but were not doing anything defensively.

Bottom line, keeper is definitely an issue here and now.  Gavran seems to be having the best year, fingers crossed, hope he's closeted the Croatia flags.

You may be/probably right re: the ratings. My FotMob app doesn’t separate by position, I just saw that ZMG and Miller are both at a low/mid 6 rating or something. Catch all scores aren’t always meaningful, but if both are that low, it’s indicative of *something*. In this case, I bet you could dig into some data that would tell you that Minnesota’s defence saves DSC a lot more often than Portland’s saves Crepeau. 

both our main keepers suck right now, it’s more glaring with one because of the weak team around him than the other, but with no starter solidified yet and likely none to be solidified for the next few years, it’s time to start trying new things out. 

Even beyond those two, Owen Goodman’s Colchester was 2 points above relegation during a season where he was sent to the bench for the last 5 or so takes of the season (though Palace fans seem high on him, he’s very young). Tom McGill has not played a single senior game in 3 years now, Sirois isn’t looking super great so far, Breza and Pantemis are just plain not so good, Odunze is a long shot to be a long shot for us, and after those names, I think you start looking at CPL guys or any of our guys toiling in like Série C or D. With all this in mind, Gavran seems to arguably be the only Canadian keeper who has shown much of anything this year, to be completely honest.

Oh, Borjan is also having a pretty solid season. Leading the Slovak league in fewest goals conceded. Bratislava have once again run away with the title. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

You may be/probably right re: the ratings. My FotMob app doesn’t separate by position, I just saw that ZMG and Miller are both at a low/mid 6 rating or something. Catch all scores aren’t always meaningful, but if both are that low, it’s indicative of *something*. In this case, I bet you could dig into some data that would tell you that Minnesota’s defence saves DSC a lot more often than Portland’s saves Crepeau. 

both our main keepers suck right now, it’s more glaring with one because of the weak team around him than the other, but with no starter solidified yet and likely none to be solidified for the next few years, it’s time to start trying new things out. 

Even beyond those two, Owen Goodman’s Colchester was 2 points above relegation during a season where he was sent to the bench for the last 5 or so takes of the season (though Palace fans seem high on him, he’s very young). Tom McGill has not played a single senior game in 3 years now, Sirois isn’t looking super great so far, Breza and Pantemis are just plain not so good, Odunze is a long shot to be a long shot for us, and after those names, I think you start looking at CPL guys or any of our guys toiling in like Série C or D. With all this in mind, Gavran seems to arguably be the only Canadian keeper who has shown much of anything this year, to be completely honest.

Oh, Borjan is also having a pretty solid season. Leading the Slovak league in fewest goals conceded. Bratislava have once again run away with the title. 

I have watched a bit of Portland.  (I guess I should try some Minnesota.)

Our boys have not covering themselves in glory and they don't have a lot of help.  Both are true. 

Has Sirois been bad, I got the impression he started poorly but was doing okay?  But my Saturday afternoons/early evenings have been busy since spring decided it was here. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I have watched a bit of Portland.  (I guess I should try some Minnesota.)

Our boys are not covering themselves in glory and they don't have a lot of help.  Both are true. 

Has Sirois been bad, I got the impression he started poorly but was doing okay?  But my Saturday afternoons/early evenings have been busy since spring decided it was here. 

Sirois is too high risk high reward. He has by far the best highlight reel of any keeper we have, but his mistakes are so much worse and frequent than I see others making. I think he was relatively fine against Miami. First goal couldn’t have been a more perfect free kick that picked the top right corner (though a 6’3 Sirois would’ve saved that easily, but nevertheless…), goal 2, Lassiter was caught sleeping by Suarez and not much Sirois could’ve done. The last goal was a silly gaffe that should’ve been stopped 9.5 times out of 10. Then, he makes a pretty nice save off Messi with time running out that I guess “kept us in the game”, which is also something you’re likely to see with JS. 

Lucky for him, his backup is Breza so not much competition there, but I can see a scenario where he plays against France and he lets in 6 or 7. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Sirois is too high risk high reward. He has by far the best highlight reel of any keeper we have, but his mistakes are so much worse and frequent than I see others making. I think he was relatively fine against Miami. First goal couldn’t have been a more perfect free kick that picked the top right corner (though a 6’3 Sirois would’ve saved that easily, but nevertheless…), goal 2, Lassiter was caught sleeping by Suarez and not much Sirois could’ve done. The last goal was a silly gaffe that should’ve been stopped 9.5 times out of 10. Then, he makes a pretty nice save off Messi with time running out that I guess “kept us in the game”, which is also something you’re likely to see with JS. 

Lucky for him, his backup is Breza so not much competition there, but I can see a scenario where he plays against France and he lets in 6 or 7. 

We try to downplay height but it does make a difference, especially at a top level.

Always thought St Clair was the high risk/reward pick partially because he had better height. 

Certainly an area of concern, especially if we put in new(ish) centre backs.

(Not sure if it is verbotten to praise Americans but from what I watched of Colorado, Bombito has been helped a lot by having Steffen behind him.) 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

We try to downplay height but it does make a difference, especially at a top level.

Always thought St Clair was the high risk/reward pick partially because he had better height. 

Certainly an area of concern, especially if we put in new(ish) centre backs.

(Not sure if it is verbotten to praise Americans but from what I watched of Colorado, Bombito has been helped a lot by having Steffen behind him.) 

His height is certainly an issue in terms of becoming our (Canada) starter and him playing abroad and that first Miami goal is a perfect example of why. He played it perfectly and yet it was ever so slightly out of reach in an area of the net he would’ve never been able to properly reach. 

DSC has the physical profile for a team to keep taking chances on him, but at this point, I don’t recall the last stretch of form he’s had where you can point and say that he was truly elite unlike some of our other guys.

They way I see it, Sirois will likely steal or lose a game for you, few in betweens. DSC will give you a better floor but much lower ceiling. Sirois either lets in 6 against France or we draw and he has a highlight of him making the save of the year against Mbappe. DSC is letting in 3 regardless, and we probably lose 3-1. 

Posted (edited)

Crepeau has looked “poorly conditioned” since his return, to the extent that it has to be effecting his performance.

I have a preexisting preference for St. Clair though I wouldn’t claim either has been great.

I think we’ve been remarkably lucky in the past (since the NASL days); we have typically had just one or two keepers playing consistently at any professional level and still managed to have one fair to good keeper. 

Now, compared with that, we potentially have an embarrassment of riches. I’m pretty confident someone will step up.

Edited by gkhs

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

^^^ I wonder if some of these concerns are behind the Swiderski callup rather than just geographical convenience.   

If it's to be the 3rd keeper [unlikely], I would  prefer Gavran.

Squad prediction time, now that we know our coach and his stipulations.

GK:
Crepeau, St. Clair, Sirios

DF:
Johnston, Bombito, Waterman, Miller, Cornelius, 
MF:
Kone, Eustaqiuo, Choiniere, Piette, Osorio, Fraser, Ahmed

FW:
Davies, Larin, David, Buchanan, Oluwaseyi, Russell- Rowe, Shaffelburg, 

... and then we'll see headlines with stats like "19 players have played/play in MLS." "Canada is MLS"

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

If it's to be the 3rd keeper [unlikely], I would  prefer Gavran.

Might be controversial, but I feel it's nuts that Crepeau would even be considered to play ahead of Gavran if he chooses to commit to Canada.  The best players at the moment should start, to hell with the brotherhood and familiarity crap.  We're building towards 2026, not reminiscing about World Cup Qualifiers.

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

Might be controversial, but I feel it's nuts that Crepeau would even be considered to play ahead of Gavran if he chooses to commit to Canada.  The best players at the moment should start, to hell with the brotherhood and familiarity crap.  We're building towards 2026, not reminiscing about World Cup Qualifiers.

Can't wait to see your reaction to Borjan being named...:)

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Sirois is too high risk high reward. He has by far the best highlight reel of any keeper we have, but his mistakes are so much worse and frequent than I see others making.

It's just soo unfortunate, he was amazing last year.  Made a couple of mistakes all season, but overall was winning games on his own.  Sophomore slump I guess/hope.  I felt we had depth at keeper 2 months ago, now it doesn't feel so good.

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere (it's been a busy day), but Canada Soccer Daily's announcement of the Marsch hiring also mentions that the Copa squad should be announced in the next 10-12 days.

Should be interesting to see who makes the Copa America squad and or who gets left off our squad. Or I wonder if we get any surprises as far as debutants on our squad? I sure hope so. 

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere (it's been a busy day), but Canada Soccer Daily's announcement of the Marsch hiring also mentions that the Copa squad should be announced in the next 10-12 days.

I suspect this will be the preliminary squad as it wouldn’t make sense to announce a final team prior to the friendlies. 

Watched some of Portland - San Jose last night.  (Credit to them for a comeback but sparked by a penalty and red that I don't think should have happened.)

Of interest because it might contain (too many?) components of our back 5.

They started with 3 at the back probably to try shore up a leaky defence but it did the opposite because of individual errors. 

Miller was on the left of the 3 but the centre one was awful, caught on the ball for the 2nd goal and pulled at half in favour of going with a back 4.  Miller, other  than when he was ill, is the constant in what has become a rotating clown show. 

The other goal against was from a corner and header.  Had a tiny guy (midfielder) marking the scorer and the bigger defenders like Miller were zonal marking.  Not sure the latter could have done anything but he was the closest of that group.

Crepeau was not great, but not quite awful. Maybe could have done better on the initial shot for the 1st, was parried right at the scorer.  Was coming out to recieve on the 2nd goal when the CB got caught, so he was chipped and look bad but you can't expect that error. 

McGraw rooted to the bench even with the changes. 

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Watched some of Portland - San Jose last night.  (Credit to them for a comeback but sparked by a penalty and red that I don't think should have happened.)

Of interest because it might contain (too many?) components of our back 5.

They started with 3 at the back probably to try shore up a leaky defence but it did the opposite because of individual errors. 

Miller was on the left of the 3 but the centre one was awful, caught on the ball for the 2nd goal and pulled at half in favour of going with a back 4.  Miller, other  than when he was ill, is the constant in what has become a rotating clown show. 

The other goal against was from a corner and header.  Had a tiny guy (midfielder) marking the scorer and the bigger defenders like Miller were zonal marking.  Not sure the latter could have done anything but he was the closest of that group.

Crepeau was not great, but not quite awful. Maybe could have done better on the initial shot for the 1st, was parried right at the scorer.  Was coming out to recieve on the 2nd goal when the CB got caught, so he was chipped and look bad but you can't expect that error. 

McGraw rooted to the bench even with the changes. 

Was it this guy? I saw the highlight this morning. Brutal giveaway. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_Araujo

Just now, Obinna said:

Was it this guy? I saw the highlight this morning. Brutal giveaway. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_Araujo

No, apparently he's injured but part of the rotation in the last while I was talking about. 

It was https://www.fotmob.com/en-GB/players/94041/larrys-mabiala .  Looks like he got minutes off and on last year but hadn't played this year before last night.  

Posted (edited)

I just really can't cross the bridge that we're taking an MLS bench player over a LaLiga bench player. To me you have to take the best players you have not who is familiar to you

I don't see a single Canadian MLS player better than Millar and Corbeanu. The last window we had a look at Domestic guys. This next window needs to be European focused or you'll be going in to Copa America without the ability to make an educated decision on who our best players are 

Edited by SpursFlu