Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

5 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Perhaps  because they may have a new perm coach and the provisional squad was picked by Biello? Just speculating.

I still don’t really understand why that would prevent publication.   The list is what it is once submitted - and we clearly had to submit by the deadline.  I don’t see how publishing it would in any way undermine or annoy an incoming coach.  

I posted something in the ticketing section but wanted to let the rest of the forum know that we have been ultra frustrated with getting Canadian supporters into the stadiums, especially in Atlanta.  You are welcome to read it here:

4 hours ago, costarg said:

Looking for a scouting report, anyone know any of these guys?  Do we need to worry about anyone in particular?

We don’t as the only way we can play them is in the final.

ps. I know you were being sarcastic

6 hours ago, An Observer said:

We don’t as the only way we can play them is in the final.

ps. I know you were being sarcastic

Ya you're right, no way they make it that far.  I didn't even spot anyone at Championship or MLS level.

With Brazil 🇧🇷 putting out their Copa America squad it makes me wonder which other countries unveil their 26 man squads for Copa to follow suit? Knowing Canada 🇨🇦 we will probably be one of the last teams to put out our squad because of the fact we still don't have a permanent manager. But if Biello stays manager and they hold off on a permanent manager until after Copa America, then and only then can I see Biello putting out our squad list early

11 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

Canada will play a second string team vs the argies ,   that's sensible football and pick up the pieces from the Pacific Rim Peru Vs chile

I agree with you. Canada should play its reserves against Argentina to put their past prime former stars in their place. We already know that Messi is afraid of macnaughton, and waterman led the défense that kept Messi off the scoresheet in Canada last week- a fairly typical game for the player who is notoriously incapable of playing Canadian teams, Toronto and Montreal being the only two clubs that Messi has never scored or assisted against, apparently. 

Put the real dogs in for our opponents who came to play, not those who come to America for a photo opportunity and a chat with the paid off referees. 

There's been very little reported about the play of Crepeau or St Clair.  Minnesota are in 2nd place and Portland currently last in the Western Conference. Has anyone watched their games? Team rankings don't necessarily reflect the play of the keeper, but it's a bit concerning that our starting keeper could be from a last place team in MLS. Anyone else concerned? 

19 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

There's been very little reported about the play of Crepeau or St Clair.  Minnesota are in 2nd place and Portland currently last in the Western Conference. Has anyone watched their games? Team rankings don't necessarily reflect the play of the keeper, but it's a bit concerning that our starting keeper could be from a last place team in MLS. Anyone else concerned? 

I've seen some of the Portland games. He's not wholly at fault, but he's definitely made a number of blunders as well and hasn't been good.

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 8:27 AM, Canuckia said:

TSN SportsCetnre leads off with Messi's first trip to Canada and then advertises Canada v Argentina , before showing NHL playoff highlights. . Seems like a big deal ro me.

They have no rights to NHL playoffs so that would explain something !

Edited by Ruud

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I've seen some of the Portland games. He's not wholly at fault, but he's definitely made a number of blunders as well and hasn't been good.

I agree with @narduch, I'm concerned about our keeper position.  Waiting for someone to chime in re St Clair's performances.

4 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I agree with @narduch, I'm concerned about our keeper position.  Waiting for someone to chime in re St Clair's performances.

St. Clair has played all 900 minutes of Minnesota's 10 games and has only conceded 11 goals this year so far. That's tied for 2nd lowest in the league. Cincy has only given up 10 goals.  I haven't watched any of their games but the stats (and Minnesota's record) indicate he's been solid.

Unfortunately, one negative to mention is his distribution (pass completion %) It's abysmal at 52.8%.  Worst amongst all starting keepers. 

23 minutes ago, Ruud said:

They have no rights to NHL playoffs so that would explain something !

Fair point, and there were no Canadian teams playing that night. It still felt good to be first for a change.🤣

54 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Xg has Crepeau above average in the league rn. 

33 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Xg has Crepeau above average in the league rn. 

For me it wasn't necessarily the amount of goals/saves.  It was more a question of positioning, command of the box and coordination with Miller at his side.  Albeit, I only watched a little over 3 games, but they were matches they were competitive in, not blow outs.