Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

The rules document can be found here:

https://copaamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/CA2024-Reglamento_2023.11-SPA2.pdf

Things that I found of interest in there are:

- If I understood Page 20 correctly, it appears that the draw is only for the pots and not for the match schedule. That is to say, [Canada or T&T] will be A4, B4, C4 or D4 in that published match schedule. This means that, should we qualify, our opening match would be against a seeded team [Argentina/Brazil/USA/Mexico], our second match would be against a Pot 2 CONMEBOL team and our final match would be against a Pot 3 team. This also means that there is a 50% chance that we end our Group Stage in Orlando and a 50% we end it in Austin.

- Although no kickoff times have been announced, as expected, the final Group Stage matches will take place at the same time.

- At the end of the Group Stage, goal difference will be the tie breaker ahead of head-to-head.

- No extra time in the knockout rounds. Penalties happen after 90 minutes. The only exception is the final where you get the usual [15 minutes × 2] first.

- Unlike for recent Gold Cups, the 35 to 55 player provisional squad will not be published. 

- The final roster will be 23 players

-At the end if the tournament, the highest ranked CONMEBOL team will play the winner of the UEFA Euros in a "Finalissima". So no CONCACAF team can get this honour if somehow they win the whole thing.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

9 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The rules document can be found here:

Things that I found of interest in there are:

- If I understood Page 20 correctly, it appears that the draw is only for the pots and not for the match schedule. That is to say, [Canada or T&T] will be A4, B4, C4 or D4 in that published match schedule. This means that, should we qualify, our opening match would be against a seeded team [Argentina/Brazil/USA/Mexico], our second match would be against a Pot 2 CONMEBOL team and our final match would be against a Pot 3 team. This also means that there is a 50% chance that we end our Group Stage in Orlando and a 50% we end it in Austin.

- Although no kickoff times have been announced, as expected, the final Group Stage matches will take place at the same time.

- Atvthe end of the Group Stage, goal difference will be the tie breaker ahead of head-to-head.

- No extra time in the knockout rounds. Penalties happen after 90 minutes. The only exception is the final where you get the usual [15 minutes × 2] first.

- Unlike for recent Gold Cups, the 35 to 55 player provisional squad will not be published. 

- The final roster will be 23 players

-At the end if the tournament, the highest ranked CONMEBOL team will play the winner of the UEFA Euros in a "Finalissima". So no CONCACAF team can get this honour if somehow they win the whole thing.

I follow you but why a 50 + 50 100% chance we end up in group A or D? Can't we be in group B or C? If Panama ger drawn in with Mexico or US then there goes B or C but that might not happen 

You could build out a hypothetical schedule and locations  based on A4, B4, C4 or D4 games. That's how I read it

Edited by SpursFlu

7 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I follow you but why a 50 + 50 100% chance we end up in group A or D? Can't we be in group B or C?

C4 plays their final Group Stage match in Orlando, just like A4.

B4 plays their final Group Stage match in Austin, just like D4.

We therefore must end the Group Stage in one of those two cities.

Orlando in November 2019 with @JamboAl , @dyslexic nam and a few others whose usernames here I have forgotten was good fun, but I've never been to Texas so I'd be down for a summer trip to Austin.

19 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Orlando in November 2019 with @JamboAl , @dyslexic nam and a few others whose usernames here I have forgotten was good fun, but I've never been to Texas so I'd be down for a summer trip to Austin.

Ok I see what your saying. Good to know. Both great destinations 

19 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I have already warned my wife that we may be taking a trip to the southern US next summer.  :) 

59 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I see tournament opener v Argentina in Atlanta or Group opener v Brazil in LA

I'll take Argentina in Atlanta for $100 please. 

...I would love to see Canada vs Brazil, but I know LA is going to cost more than Atlanta. 

Edited by Shway

17 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Are you 100% sure that being selected in C4 and D4 automatically means those teams are from pot 4? For instance in Qatar, we were pot 4 obviously in group F, but we were in draw position number 2. I’m curious how it works in this tournament or maybe you’re correct 

image.thumb.jpeg.cc1e3891c5e2e7cfe4d0f344cfdb118b.jpeg

16 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Are you 100% sure that being selected in C4 and D4 automatically means those teams are from pot 4? For instance in Qatar, we were pot 4 obviously in group F, but we were in draw position number 2. I’m curious how it works in this tournament or maybe you’re correct 

image.thumb.jpeg.cc1e3891c5e2e7cfe4d0f344cfdb118b.jpeg

Here is the tournament rules that he linked earlier.

And here is a google translation of the procedure for Pot 4 (it's the same for the other pots as well, with the exception of the part about not being able to be drawn into certain groups).

"Bolillero 4: There will be the teams that will occupy position 4 in each group. The first ball drawn will be position A4, the second ball drawn will be position B4, the third The ball drawn will be position C4 and the fourth ball drawn will be position D4. Sole paragraph - In the event that a team is drawn and cannot be located within a group to comply with the restrictions explained in the sole paragraph of the previous article, said team will be assigned to the next available group in order alphabetical."

I don't speak Spanish, but I'm assuming "Bolillero" means pot for the draw. You are correct that some tournaments will draw a team, then draw a group and possibly a position within that group, or any combination of these things. But for this particular draw, your pot determines your spot in the group, and the order in which you are drawn determines which group you are in.

32 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Are you 100% sure that being selected in C4 and D4 automatically means those teams are from pot 4? For instance in Qatar...

I'm not 100% sure but that is why I brought up the point. The rules document makes it look like this will be different from the World Cup draw; the match order will not be drawn in this case. I think CONMEBOL and CONCACAF are doing this to maximize revenue and minimize costs. The stadium argument holds up too; the 𝑥3 vs 𝑥4 matches are in the smaller MLS stadiums, presumably because they will draw smaller crowds.

Just putting it out there, if Canada is a host country for the World Cup 2026, would it be possible there will be some shenanigans to make sure Canada makes it to Copa America? 

Like a referee looking the other way on offsides or questionable calls going our way. Because it would be pretty embarrassing if Canada doesn't make Copa America and then host 2 years later for the World Cup?

21 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'm not 100% sure but that is why I brought up the point. The rules document makes it look like this will be different from the World Cup draw; the match order will not be drawn in this case. I think CONMEBOL and CONCACAF are doing this to maximize revenue and minimize costs. The stadium argument holds up too; the 𝑥3 vs 𝑥4 matches are in the smaller MLS stadiums, presumably because they will draw smaller crowds.

This 100%.  The fact that every 'large stadium' match has either an X1 or X2 in it means that the X2 will be the pot two teams.

1 hour ago, mluciani said:

Just putting it out there, if Canada is a host country for the World Cup 2026, would it be possible there will be some shenanigans to make sure Canada makes it to Copa America? 

Like a referee looking the other way on offsides or questionable calls going our way. Because it would be pretty embarrassing if Canada doesn't make Copa America and then host 2 years later for the World Cup?

If refs were going to look the other way and give Canada preferential treatement, they wouldn't have called that debatable hand ball on Eustaquio. That call ultimately put Jamaica in Copa America at the expense of Canada.

Watched 2 draw simulations on YouTube. Here are the groups that were created.

Draw 1

Group A - Argentina, Peru, Paraguay, Canada/Trinidad and Tobago
Group B - Mexico, Colombia, Panama, Bolivia
Group C - USA, Ecuador, Venezuela, Costa Rica/Honduras
Group D - Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Jamaica

Draw 2

Group A - Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Costa Rica/Honduras
Group B - Mexico, Peru, Panama, Bolivia
Group C - USA, Colombia, Paraguay, Canada/Trinidad and Tobago
Group D - Brazil, Ecuador, Venezuela, Jamaica

So if we were in Draw 1 we would be the opening game vs Argentina. I like that (I think 😁

7 hours ago, Neil R. said:

Watched 2 draw simulations on YouTube. Here are the groups that were created.

Draw 1

Group A - Argentina, Peru, Paraguay, Canada/Trinidad and Tobago
Group B - Mexico, Colombia, Panama, Bolivia
Group C - USA, Ecuador, Venezuela, Costa Rica/Honduras
Group D - Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Jamaica

Draw 2

Group A - Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Costa Rica/Honduras
Group B - Mexico, Peru, Panama, Bolivia
Group C - USA, Colombia, Paraguay, Canada/Trinidad and Tobago
Group D - Brazil, Ecuador, Venezuela, Jamaica

).

4 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

So if we were in Draw 1 we would be the opening game vs Argentina. I like that (I think 😁

).

Kamal Miller absolutely wipes Messi out in minute seven of the game.

On an unrelated note, in minute eight of the game Inter Miami releases a statement that Kamal Miller's contract is terminated - effective immediately.