Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The final will be played the exact same day as the Eurocup final in Germany this summer, July 14. 

You have to wonder why they did this. For example, it would be logical for the Berlin final to be played in the day, while temperatures would recommend the Copa final later in the evening. So the times with the 6-hour spread could be close.

Indeed the Eurocup dates closely coincide with Copa, the Eurocup starts the previous week, on June 14; there are 10 venues, final in Berlin, semis at Munich and Dortmund.

Edit: I saw an English site that says the final and semis will be played at 9pm local time, 3pm EST. The UEFA site does not commit to times yet. Hopefully the Copa final is also in the evening, so they don't coincide.

The previous Euro and Copa America also ran concurrently. Back in 2021.

But the finals were on different days.

It also guarantees that all Copa America games will be at night.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

USA have officially qualified with their 2-1 loss to T&T today. Panama can sleepwalk the rest of the way to the Copa America, leading 6-1 on aggregate against Costa Rica with 30 minutes to play.

Holy Crap The USA actually played a game outside of the Continetal USA, how is that possible it seems so unfair to the USA

5 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

Holy Crap The USA actually played a game outside of the Continetal USA, how is that possible it seems so unfair to the USA

Did the schedule maker at CONCACAF make an error , I am sure heads will roll , and someone may lose his or her job , Im surprised there wasnt a all American officiating crew down there in Trinidad . (Then again knowing CONCACAF it could happen)

10 hours ago, Kent said:

USA have officially qualified with their 2-1 loss to T&T today. Panama can sleepwalk the rest of the way to the Copa America, leading 6-1 on aggregate against Costa Rica with 30 minutes to play.

Say what you will, Christiansen at Panama remains one of the most interesting prospects to coach Canada. They've been good for years now, despite the late slip up getting to Qatar.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Say what you will, Christiansen at Panama remains one of the most interesting prospects to coach Canada. They've been good for years now, despite the late slip up getting to Qatar.

He's built a "tough out" team.  I am glad that we didn't face them in this round.

Edited by BearcatSA

2 hours ago, Shway said:

A lot of their players are underrated. So I think Panama in general is underrated. 
I really like their midfielder Carrasquilla, he's a real baller.

It's the one team in Concacaf that you could say is consistently punching above its weight, maybe not a lot but enough. We're better, but on paper we probably should be the 3-4th team in the region. 

So that is usually a sign of good coaching. They are also resilient, they bounce back, they take losses and disappointments and keep coming at you. All power to them. 

I also like Christiansen because I think his background and experience makes him enormously flexible for certain working environments, like ours, he would not be out of place in Canada, nor with the elite player mix we have.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

usually a sign of good coaching...I also like Christiansen....

Surprise surprise!  @Unnamed Trialist likes the coach who left his native country for Spain and went through Barcelona and became a Spanish citizen! :D

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Christiansen

(He does seem like a good coach, but I had to tease you)

10 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Surprise surprise!  @Unnamed Trialist likes the coach who left his native country for Spain and went through Barcelona and became a Spanish citizen! :D

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Christiansen

(He does seem like a good coach, but I had to tease you)

Dude, you are like 2.5 years late on that one, it is not even new.

It came up years ago, and BTW, I was not the one who first brought it up, others here did. Then I simply corroborated (though your description of his personal background is incorrect).

I suppose if I said I liked Mourinho for Canada you'd dig around, and rightly discover he was assistant coach at Barça under Bobby Robson, and THAT would be the real and only reason for me suggesting him.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

44 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Dude, you are like 2.5 years late on that one, it is not even new.

Sounds like me! 🤦🏽 I tend to repeat jokes or forget what I've already said.

45 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I suppose if I said I liked Mourinho for Canada you'd dig around...

That would be stretch. I wouldn't have made that joke with Mouinho. Christiansen was actually a Spanish international and a Barça B player.

Personal question, how much time to your spend in the Barça area vs the Vancouver area?

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Sounds like me! 🤦🏽 I tend to repeat jokes or forget what I've already said.

That would be stretch. I wouldn't have made that joke with Mouinho. Christiansen was actually a Spanish international and a Barça B player.

Personal question, how much time to your spend in the Barça area vs the Vancouver area?

All cool. I spend 10 months in Barcelona and since 2008 go teach in Vancouver in summer session, 7-8 weeks.

What I referred to was that his mother is from Madrid, he was always dual national and grew up speaking Spanish, he never had to naturalize and played for Barça as a Spaniard from day one. I watched Christiansen back in the day, I remember rather precisely how he played, he was a strong 2nd striker or could attack out of the midfield. I think he developed physically and then had his strong Bundesliga years playing higher up, I'm not sure. 

There are a lot of ex-Barça players who try coaching and I'd never recommend, surprisingly there are not that many good ones, just Koeman, Pep, Luis Enrique, Laurent Blanc and Arteta I think amongst the top, mostly guys from the 90s not more recent. I just realised Giovanni Van Bronckhorst is free as well, but I am not sure how good a manager he is. Another I loved as a player and has the exact temperament we could use is Phillipe Cocu, what a player and a great person.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 2 weeks later...

We would have been Pot 3, but does that matter? There isn't really an easy match up Canada, except for maybe Bolivia, but would be that's using the word easy with some liberty, and probably would be a little disrespectul as well.

So basically we get Chile/Panama/Venezuela/Paraguay instead of Jamaica/Costa Rica (Honduras)/Bolivia. I think it's probably splitting hairs.

26 minutes ago, Obinna said:

There isn't really an easy match up..

I think that perspective is a good way to look at things.

Maybe it's just rationalizing our misfortune but Pot 4 allows for an experience closer to 2026; all opponents will be tougher; we get 3 high-level games.

36 minutes ago, narduch said:

The pots...

Uruguay, ranked above the USA and Mexico got robbed 😅

They taught us a proper lesson in Austria last year. 😬

I want to avoid them.

@Obinna, to me, the most important thing isn't so much that we are in Pot 4, but that I want to get Peru and avoid Uruguay out of Pot 2.

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Maybe worth bearing in mind that qualification hasn't been secured yet.

That's not going to stop me from being excited about this draw. :D

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

We would have been Pot 3, but does that matter? There isn't really an easy match up Canada, except for maybe Bolivia, but would be that's using the word easy with some liberty, and probably would be a little disrespectul as well.

So basically we get Chile/Panama/Venezuela/Paraguay instead of Jamaica/Costa Rica (Honduras)/Bolivia. I think it's probably splitting hairs.

Peru are dead last in WCQ and are in Pot 2. Maybe they are beatable.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Says no more than 2 CONCACAF teams per group. So it would be at least 2 guaranteed games against South American opposition.

That means the odds of securing Brazil or Argentina are greater. Pot 4 is drawn last, if another CONCACAF team is picked before us in Groups B or C then we can't be drawn into B or C. Still possible, but odds are with us going into A or D.