The next 3.5 years

Well that was fun........

Now, the big question is "what's next?"

March and June are Nations League and Gold Cup.

After that it's a big question mark.  When is the next Nations League?  Will we play Copa America in 2024?  Can we get friendlies with UEFA giants?

Next fall, there are several 5 team groups in UEFA Euro 2024 qualifying so there are a few teams with spare dates available to play including England.  Germany has no qualifiers.  

South America has opted to keep the 10 team 18 game marathon WC qualifying format largely due to several FAs telling CONMEBOL they had already sold the TV rights.  There were talks of them joining the next UEFA Nations League but that's unlikely now with the calendar squeeze.  CONMEBOL teams will only be available up until late 2023 or early 2024 depending on when they decide to start qualifying.

My dream scenario would be for Canada (along with US and Mexico) to play Copa America 2024 AND join UEFA Nations League for the next cycle in place of CONMEBOL if their rumoured participation falls through.  Fill the rest with a formalized North American Championship with US and Mexico home and away series.  Throw in some European friendlies (see above on UEFA 5 team groups) and the obligatory CONCACAF Nations League.

Of course, it's not all that simple.  Politically, CONMEBOL is aligned with UEFA while CONCACAF is aligned with Infantino's bloc of CAF and Asia.  CONCACAF and CONMEBOL had a pissing match a few years ago over the Copa America after Montagliani got the job so some fences need to be mended. 

The Gold Cup, for me, is very important. I hope we take it seriously and try to contend with our best team. Besides that, we need as many friendlies as possible against World Cup quality teams if we want to continue increasing our levels to get to full global scale top quality football.  We need to grow beyond the regional level now. If we slip back and keep playing 75% or so of our games against Concacaf teams like usual we could actually regress from here.

I hope we keep learning from our mistakes and deficiencies at full level. 

Edited by Joe Keeper

11 hours ago, Joe Keeper said:

The Gold Cup, for me, is very important. I hope we take it seriously and try to contend with our best team. Besides that, we need as many friendlies as possible against World Cup quality teams if we want to continue increasing our levels to get to full global scale top quality football.  We need to grow beyond the regional level now. If we slip back and keep playing 75% or so of our games against Concacaf teams like usual we could actually regress from here.

I hope we keep learning from our mistakes and deficiencies at full level. 

I agree we need to play as many friendlies as possible but also they did confirm Canada is qualified for 2026 especially on air at TSN so if we're already qualified no point in playing qualifiers. All we have to do is play friendlies but also compete in Nations League and Gold Cup. But also we have Gold Cup in 2025 also. But Copa America 2024 I definitely want Canada there.

10 hours ago, Mozart1756fan said:

Put in a plan to gradually ditch the MLS. CPL should be supported as Canada's top league and Canadian soccer is good enough to stand on its own, or it should be by 2026.

Well by using the Canadian Premier League (CPL) itself as a development model for 2026, it can help us further grow not only the game in this country but help us as a footballing nation to develop more future stars needed for the World Cup in the next 4 years on our home soil. Much like how USA used 1994 for their home World Cup to not only grow the game in their country but it helped them to become more of a footballing nation hence the MLS and more American born players were developed ultimately into stars for future cycles after USA 1994. Canada needs to take that same approach with the CPL.

The next 3.5 years should be focused on creating a competitive squad competition where no players dare turn down a call for official competitions. Starting with Nations League and the Gold Cup it’s about cultivating this culture of running through a wall for the shirt/country. If you don’t want to show up it’s next man up. 

1-There is no question that part of consolidating this WC journey is winning a Nations League or Gold Cup. It is the easiest step up, and the clearest path. Many teams in Concacaf have raised their head, but oddly, no other country has won a modern Gold Cup besides us. 

So making the discussion about Canada too, always, in Concacaf, is the next clear goal.

2-One thing we've neglected in the men's programme, perhaps with the qualifying campaign as an excuse: the u-20s, u-17s. And the Olympic programme. Now is the time for Herdman and the CSA to focus in and get the pools stronger, do camps, spend resources on identifying players, make our programme more attractive for the younger dual nationals. Since qualifying for 2026 is not a problem, we need to put resources and talent (better coaching!) into qualifying for Olympics and youth World Cups.

3-I don't think there is much more for the national programme in terms of sporting goals. But there is the problem of a disagreement with the CSA that has not been resolved. If Bontis cannot lead that, then it'll be interesting to see how the next CSA elections have some candidates openly challenging his failure in that area.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The next 3.5 years should be focused on creating a competitive squad competition where no players dare turn down a call for official competitions. Starting with Nations League and the Gold Cup it’s about cultivating this culture of running through a wall for the shirt/country. If you don’t want to show up it’s next man up. 

Wait….hasn’t this already stopped?
Whos turned down calls other than Scott the Scot. 

Edited by Shway
Mobile typing...and no proof reading, what's new?

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Wait….hasn’t this already stopped?
Whos tirunelveli down calls other than Scott the Scot. 

We don’t know that yet. Obviously players haven’t been in a position to turn down calls in the last 2 years. We’ll see how/if that changes now that the cycle is over. 

In terms of off the field stuff (and despite the all or nothing “run through a wall” mantra) I would like to see aggressive recruitment efforts for a few of our top dual nat prospects.   With lots of competitions it should be possible to provide them with competitive opportunities (that would also count as “official matches”).  In no particular order…

- Jebbison is one I would prioritize- especially since our recent WC downfall was largely due to squandering our few chances.   After David (who clearly can have off days) we gets bit thin up front.  
- not sure where Lucas Dias fits these days but I know he showed well for our Olympic team despite being (I think) a bit younger than the rest.  
- Justin Smith who, aside from his baffling club situation, looked good for our U20s.  Would like to see him assessed in the context of senior men.  Doesn’t hurt that he may play in a position if need.   
- Koleosho still deserves some wooing IMO.  Even though we are deep in wide attacking talent, he was deemed good enough to be called into camp during our previous friendlies and just on age and pedigree alone I think he gets a leg up on some others.  

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

In terms of off the field stuff (and despite the all or nothing “run through a wall” mantra) I would like to see aggressive recruitment efforts for a few of our top dual nat prospects.   With lots of competitions it should be possible to provide them with competitive opportunities (that would also count as “official matches”).  In no particular order…

- Jebbison is one I would prioritize- especially since our recent WC downfall was largely due to squandering our few chances.   After David (who clearly can have off days) we gets bit thin up front.  
- not sure where Lucas Dias fits these days but I know he showed well for our Olympic team despite being (I think) a bit younger than the rest.  
- Justin Smith who, aside from his baffling club situation, looked good for our U20s.  Would like to see him assessed in the context of senior men.  Doesn’t hurt that he may play in a position if need.   
- Koleosho still deserves some wooing IMO.  Even though we are deep in wide attacking talent, he was deemed good enough to be called into camp during our previous friendlies and just on age and pedigree alone I think he gets a leg up on some others.  

These are all important names, two of which I would consider losses (Jebbison and Lucas) funny enough I was just talking to the guy who got Daniel his trials in England. 

Sad thing is not one is a centerback.

18 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

If we could get all 4 players to switch nationality to play for Canada at senior level, then our golden generation can continue even into 2026 and beyond

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

These are all important names, two of which I would consider losses (Jebbison and Lucas) funny enough I was just talking to the guy who got Daniel his trials in England. 

Sad thing is not one is a centerback.

Smith has played CB - though he seems more frequently deployed as a DM (on those infrequent occasions where he has been deployed…).  

Why do you consider Jebbo and Dias losses?  I had always wondered about Dias given some noncommittal comments but credit where it is due - he suited up for us during Olympic qualification.  

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Smith has played CB - though he seems more frequently deployed as a DM (on those infrequent occasions where he has been deployed…).  

Why do you consider Jebbo and Dias losses?  I had always wondered about Dias given some noncommittal comments but credit where it is due - he suited up for us during Olympic qualification.  

I think he means they are losses if they don’t end up playing for Canada.

1 minute ago, trc2014 said:

I think he means they are losses if they don’t end up playing for Canada.

Ah, gotcha.  If that is the case I would def add Koleosho to the list.  While it is an area of strength this kid has the potential to be pretty good.  Mostly conjecture on my part but anyone who steps on the field for Espanyol as a 17 yr old has to be considered a pretty high ceiling prospect.  

22 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Ah, gotcha.  If that is the case I would def add Koleosho to the list.  While it is an area of strength this kid has the potential to be pretty good.  Mostly conjecture on my part but anyone who steps on the field for Espanyol as a 17 yr old has to be considered a pretty high ceiling prospect.  

I would also acknowledge the liklihood of these dual nats playing for us. 

Smith - I would be shocked if he didnt represent canada 95%

Dias- Feeling confident he will represent canada but may take a few years 75%

Jebbison - Feeling confident he will represent canada

Koleosho - I think its 50/50

Mitrovic - I think he could switch if he doesnt break through with serbia or get cynically captied (permanently). 10% 

Sali/flores - 1% chance of switching

Guys who are not on CMNT radar (zero call ups) that may have a chance for 2026
1. Malcom Johnston 
2. Zouhir 
3. Jesse Costa
4. Pellegrino
5. Jamie Knight lebel
6. Oumar Diallo

Anyone else have anyone to add to the list? I think we all know the TFC contingent has potential but those types of players are on the radar already with call ups so i didnt think to add them.  

Edited by Bigandy

Dias might be the most strangely overrated prospect on this forum. The fact that people still talk about him as dual national at risk ( as if he would even be in play for Portugal’s F team) is bizarre. 

also we continue to overrate our attacking talent if we’re not strongly pushing for commitments from the likes of Jebbison and Koleosho. When we desperately needed a goal versus Belgium in the last ten minutes we subbed on Cavallini and Liam Millar. That’s not good enough for this level.

10 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

CF Montreal has a crop of young exciting players graduating to their senior team this year.

J. A. Assi winger

Tomas Girado midfield

Sean Rea midfield

Nathan Saliba midfield.

They're all younger than Kone and there's excitement around Rea and Saliba.

I would love to see them keep the pipeline going.   

14 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Dias might be the most strangely overrated prospect on this forum. The fact that people still talk about him as dual national at risk ( as if he would even be in play for Portugal’s F team) is bizarre. 

also we continue to overrate our attacking talent if we’re not strongly pushing for commitments from the likes of Jebbison and Koleosho. When we desperately needed a goal versus Belgium in the last ten minutes we subbed on Cavallini and Liam Millar. That’s not good enough for this level.

I think you are underestimating Días. I understand he's playing for the Sporting u-23s.

All these kids need is a callup to the first team and the Portugal system will pay attention.

He's also the profile we need. I've seen him play btw, last year a couple times in Youth League. He looked physically young have to say.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's also the profile we need. I've seen him play btw, last year a couple times in Youth League. He looked physically young have to say.

I think that is one of the things that have people thinking about his potential.   If he is performing well with a kids build, he should be able to compete even harder once he starts getting more “man-muscle”.  Very different player obviously, but we are seeing that sort of thing now with Musiala (“Bambi”) who is slowly getting stronger while keeping all the skills that made him effective despite his lack of strength.