Nathan Saliba

Grandbloke

18 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

Based on the MLS site, he had one last year. This is his first of the season.

The play is at the 1:11 mark. CFM scored and Saliba made a similar pass, but Clark could not score on the first shot. The ball went to another CFM player. He took a shot and Clark scored on the rebound.

I had forgotten all that went on between the pass and the goal. I simply remembered the same exquisite lob pass.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/competitions/mls-regular-season/2024/matches/mtlvsclt-09-14-2024/

Edited by Sal333

15 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I think the issue is player profile. 

RM didn’t play with a 10. Kroos modric and casemiro. But a 6 and 2 creative 8’s

sigur is our answer to no 10 if he becomes elite. 

maybe saliba could develop into our 6. 

not sure about where choiniere fits unless Kone plays 10 and saw 6

I get confused with the numbers. 10 is attacking mid, 9 is a striker, 1 is goalie, but 8 and 6 are???

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I have to admit that I haven’t watched him that closely before so my basis for judgement is limited - but he looked good last night.  Maybe it was the opponent or maybe he just had a great night, but he didn’t just look good for a young player - he just showed that he can be an excellent midfielder at this level regardless of age.  With the goal he scored last game, it seems like he may be stringing together the kinds of performances that will attract some serious transfer attention.  

I have historically leaned to TFC support just because that is where it all started, but recently I have paid more attention to CFM and I gotta say that Montreal has something exciting going on.  With Saliba and Rutty, they have two young guys with lots of potential.  And as much as I wish they weren’t American, Duke and Clark have tons of upside.  A couple of years ago Clark was pegged as a potential future superstar, and while the American hype machine gets knocked into overdrive way too easily, he was MOTM last night in a game with multiple candidates.  Mix in some experienced vets (Piette, Edwards and Martinez) and they have a great formula this year.  It is a really good environment for Saliba and Rutty to be in right now.  

Yeah, they have a young, exciting team and I thought they would hit their stride next season but they seemed to have already turned things around with this late playoff push. Good for them. 

Edited by Macksam

7 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Simply put

#8 is a box to box mid

#6 is a DM 

Understood, and yes, Casemiro would have been the 6 with Kroos and Modric being the creative 8s who knew their roles and intentionally dumbed themselves down for the lack of a better-term to make that system with speedy forwards in Ronaldo, Benzema, Di Maria and Bale work. Although I did enjoy watching that team, they are a big reason for why the modern game is borderline awful to watch with so many clubs adopting their style, resulting in the death of the number 10. If it wasn't for the rise of the CMNT (who actually have an old-school, organic, fun style of play) in the last few years, I wouldn't even be watching this sport anymore.  

Edited by Macksam

14 hours ago, Macksam said:

Understood, and yes, Casemiro would have been the 6 with Kroos and Modric being the creative 8s who knew their roles and intentionally dumbed themselves down for the lack of a better-term to make that system with speedy forwards in Ronaldo, Benzema, Di Maria and Bale work. Although I did enjoy watching that team, they are a big reason for why the modern game is borderline awful to watch with so many clubs adopting their style, resulting in the death of the number 10. If it wasn't for the rise of the CMNT (who actually have an old-school, organic, fun style of play) in the last few years, I wouldn't even be watching this sport anymore.  

You know, not everyone plays the 433 with 2 8's right...actually a lot play with a 6, 8, and a 10. Also a lot of top teams play a 4231...which is essentially 2 6's. 

Watch Arsenal if you pressed about not seeing a 10. 

17 hours ago, Shway said:

You know, not everyone plays the 433 with 2 8's right...actually a lot play with a 6, 8, and a 10. Also a lot of top teams play a 4231...which is essentially 2 6's. 

Watch Arsenal if you pressed about not seeing a 10. 

Of course there are still some 10s around in the modern games, usually outside of the top Euro leagues, Latin America and by extension MLS features some good ones. 

Arsenal? Kai Havertz? No, we need something more soulful than him. Maybe De Ketelaere or Reijnders could become a couple of guys who save the sport but we'll see. 

7 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Of course there are still some 10s around in the modern games, usually outside of the top Euro leagues, Latin America and by extension MLS features some good ones. 

Arsenal? Kai Havertz? No, we need something more soulful than him. Maybe De Ketelaere or Reijnders could become a couple of guys who save the sport but we'll see. 

I don’t understand this. 10’s are historically one way players. What’s wrong with them becoming more complete. KDB, Odegaard or b silva are extremely creative but play 2 ways. It allows them to contribute to build up play instead of just in the final third.  

reijnders is a perfect example. He’s more of a creative 8 than a 10. He often is playing box to box. Yes he also plays as a 10 but positionally hes more modric than ozil

On 7/13/2024 at 12:53 PM, PegCityCam said:

Stats be statting:

I can confirm you at 1992% that he's a great distributor. From what I'm seeing from him at the Saputo Stadium. That's one of his best quality. Every players are looking for him to build plays. No back passes from him. Only forward passes from him.

I thought he was competent and tidy.  Montreal dominated possession and the match.  He and Piette controlled the midfield.  He didn’t do anything special but he efficiently broke the pressure when it came and effectively made the best decisions when moving the ball. I think he does the small things well that quite often go unnoticed.  The type of reliable player you want to have on your team. 

On 9/25/2024 at 7:10 PM, ahmedou said:

For me, he's the best young player of MLS. And I'm serious when I say that.

20240925_190724.thumb.jpg.eecd7b03b6c95643f55f2960ba1cd6d2.jpg

I used to be an avid fan of MLS, and I would follow the league and was interested in following the emerging young talent. Now it's over saturated, teams don't play each other and theirs too many teams to keep up.

Do you watch games outside of Montreal or the Canadian teams/players?

I don't know if he's the best yet, there's guys like Cremaschi, and McGlynn.

26 minutes ago, Shway said:

I used to be an avid fan of MLS, and I would follow the league and was interested in following the emerging young talent. Now it's over saturated, teams don't play each other and theirs too many teams to keep up.

Do you watch games outside of Montreal or the Canadian teams/players?

I don't know if he's the best yet, there's guys like Cremaschi, and McGlynn.

Well, the product is the best it's ever been but I see your point about watching things outside the Canadian players/teams. I watch Miami, LA FC as well and catch the highlights of the other teams. As for young talent, Cremaschi is overrated. For me, it's Saliba and Redondo. 

12 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

*MLS exec after the Apple TV check just cashed voice* the best young player in the league is Cavan Sullivan, the future of North American soccer 

In fairness, dude just turned 15 and is already an MLS-calibre mid.  If we had a kid like that we would be losing our fucking minds.   

30 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

In fairness, dude just turned 15 and is already an MLS-calibre mid.  If we had a kid like that we would be losing our fucking minds.   

Yeah, in all honesty he looks really good and unless he falls off a cliff, not unlikely for a 15 year old pro, but assuming he stays the course, he’s going to be an incredible player. 

As for best young player in MLS, I don’t watch many non-Canadians (did accidentally subscribe to the MLS pass so I guess I may start), but I would give the edge to the Diegos, Luna and Gomez, above Saliba. Some others in the mix too. I think Saliba’s strengths are extremely translatable to tougher leagues, so he could become one of if not the best MLS product of this crop, but there are some seriously excellent young players in the league. 

38 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, in all honesty he looks really good and unless he falls off a cliff, not unlikely for a 15 year old pro, but assuming he stays the course, he’s going to be an incredible player. 

As for best young player in MLS, I don’t watch many non-Canadians (did accidentally subscribe to the MLS pass so I guess I may start), but I would give the edge to the Diegos, Luna and Gomez, above Saliba. Some others in the mix too. I think Saliba’s strengths are extremely translatable to tougher leagues, so he could become one of if not the best MLS product of this crop, but there are some seriously excellent young players in the league. 

Diego Luna is a baller. 
For me, in a league that invest more in attacking talent it is more impressive for young attacking talent to emerge.

I agree.  I love Saliba and think he’s an amazing player but Inter Miami have 3-5 players alone that give Saliba a run for his money.  Excluding Cremanschi, Miami has Tomas Aviles, Facundo Farías, Federico Redondo and Diego Gomez.  Did anyone catch Diego Gomez winner for Paraguay over Brazil?
I believe he’s ineligible for young player of the year now at 23 but Thiago Almada won a World Cup with Argentina at age of 21 while playing for Atlanta.  He’s now back in South America at a very talented Botafogo side.  

There’s so much young talent out there in MLS these days.  It’s becoming a quick stop for a lot of young South Americans before they head back overseas or back down to South American giants.

Edited by Corazon

34 minutes ago, Shway said:

Diego Luna is a baller. 
For me, in a league that invest more in attacking talent it is more impressive for young attacking talent to emerge.

I think that MLS is a relatively tactically soft league with weaker coaching/training/strategic approach than top leagues, which makes a guy like Saliba, who comes in at 19 playing like he’s a 29 year old veteran with good IQ and composed decision making, all that more impressive. But goals are goals and what Luna and Gomez, among others, are doing is incredible.

We just talked about how we’d feel if Canada had a Cavan Sullivan- imagine if we had a Diego Luna? It’s like the states want to force him to play for Mexico for some strange reason. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

On 9/30/2024 at 10:38 AM, InglewoodJack said:

I think that MLS is a relatively tactically soft league with weaker coaching/training/strategic approach than top leagues, which makes a guy like Saliba, who comes in at 19 playing like he’s a 29 year old veteran with good IQ and composed decision making, all that more impressive. But goals are goals and what Luna and Gomez, among others, are doing is incredible.

We just talked about how we’d feel if Canada had a Cavan Sullivan- imagine if we had a Diego Luna? It’s like the states want to force him to play for Mexico for some strange reason. 

The states have a lot of options. Somehow I feel like a 20 year old with “hate” and a spider tattooed on his neck might have some issues in the head.