Nathan Saliba

Grandbloke

29 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Anyone watch the game yesterday ?

I switched over after the TFC game and caught the last 20 minutes or so.

Saliba looked okay.  Have to say of the 2004s, Saliba looks to have passed JMR as the best player/prospect of the class.  He seems to be much more involved and always gives maximum effort.

A lot of it could be TFC's annoying habit of constantly deferring to Insigne and Bernadeschi, of which JMR is as guilty as anyone of doing.

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

I switched over after the TFC game and caught the last 20 minutes or so.

Saliba looked okay.  Have to say of the 2004s, Saliba looks to have passed JMR as the best player/prospect of the class.  He seems to be much more involved and always gives maximum effort.

A lot of it could be TFC's annoying habit of constantly deferring to Insigne and Bernadeschi, of which JMR is as guilty as anyone of doing.

For the last bit, Herdmans coaching for a Canada always relied heavily on Davies, I feel like for TFC it’s the same way.

32 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah but then Canada right now are loaded at the CM position though with Eustaquio, Piette, Choiniere, Kone, etc

We are very thin, only 2 of those 3 can keep up and compete on the world stage.

Piette is 29 and OSO 30… they might not be good enough in 2 years and Morris would have been ahead of both (that idiot) neither can get to the level where we can use them against heavy weights and they won’t get exposed. Choiniere might be able to, we have to see him get that extended run. So in actuality our depth is non existent. 

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah but then Canada right now are loaded at the CM position though with Eustaquio, Piette, Choiniere, Kone, etc

The only player here with a similar skill set to Saliba is Piette who isn’t even guaranteed a spot ahead of Saliba at his club, and even then, I think Saliba is a much better playmaker. 

A midfield that’s Kone playing in attack with Saliba and Eustaquio as DMs in 2026 or so has the potential of being very potent. Kid is only 20 and was given the captain’s armband over a lot of guys with a lot more experience and pedigree. And just coming back from an injured spell too. That says a lot. 

11 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

The only player here with a similar skill set to Saliba is Piette who isn’t even guaranteed a spot ahead of Saliba at his club, and even then, I think Saliba is a much better playmaker. 

A midfield that’s Kone playing in attack with Saliba and Eustaquio as DMs in 2026 or so has the potential of being very potent. Kid is only 20 and was given the captain’s armband over a lot of guys with a lot more experience and pedigree. And just coming back from an injured spell too. That says a lot. 

Agreed, and I’ll add he was seen as better than Kone at every age. Furthermore, he is ahead at the same age with more pro games and he was injured to boot. He may well end up being better in the long run.

i don’t see why he isn’t the #3 within a year unless he really stagnates… whats crazy is Zouhir could still pan out and there’s Biello who might be good.

CM has almost replaced CB as my biggest area of concern for the CMNT in the short term. We have options coming through at CB now which is nice to see.

CM wise, Piette was never it, in my eyes but he is a good hardworking player.

We have Staq and Kone, then its question marks (I guess we could say the same at CB too). Oso did great last night to be fair to him but he is 32 and has already lost a step pace wise. Ahmed is a big hope but whitecaps want to play him wide. Choiniere translate his MLS form into international isn't there yet but there hasn't been a chance. Loturi has fallen off and Paton had injury issues but could still be useful. Saliba is a huge hope for me. He looks really impressive, if not very Raw like Bombito.

It's funny how the scene quickly changes though and I'm sure it will again. We were stacked there a few years ago with some really in form players with Hutch, MAK and Arfield. 

Badwaal, Biello, Schaivone all looked really solid for the u20s a few months ago and we added a couple of duals this last camp. Future is looking bright but we are light right now.

45 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Agreed, and I’ll add he was seen as better than Kone at every age. Furthermore, he is ahead at the same age with more pro games and he was injured to boot. He may well end up being better in the long run.

i don’t see why he isn’t the #3 within a year unless he really stagnates… whats crazy is Zouhir could still pan out and there’s Biello who might be good.

Crazy part is he'll still only be 20 at the end of this season.  He's captaining a team with a lot of vets at 20.  He's already got a lot of experience and has never looked out of place compared to most guys his age.  Pretty wild.  Even Flores has had some awful moments and he's on the bench for Mexico at Copa America.

17 minutes ago, costarg said:

Crazy part is he'll still only be 20 at the end of this season.  He's captaining a team with a lot of vets at 20.  He's already got a lot of experience and has never looked out of place compared to most guys his age.  Pretty wild.  Even Flores has had some awful moments and he's on the bench for Mexico at Copa America.

I don’t think he’s back at CFM next year tbh, think someone will buy him. I think Biello is their highest rated in a while, and Schiavoni could be something as well. The eventual Choniere trade will free up minutes for Zouhir and Biello and let’s not forget that Zouhir was ahead of all them a little back.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

By 2026 he'll be 22 by then and if he continues to get better, then by all means include him

19 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I don’t think he’s back at CFM next year tbh, think someone will buy him. I think Biello is their highest rated in a while, and Schiavoni could be something as well. The eventual Choniere trade will free up minutes for Zouhir and Biello and let’s not forget that Zouhir was ahead of all them a little back.

I think he will get bought after next season. He missed some time to start the year, Montreal has been pretty bad this year unlike the Kone season where everything went well too. I think the most Montreal could get for him would be €1M from a Nordic club, similar to the Jayden Nelson deal, and I don’t think, considering the state of the club, they’re going to give up their one young, talented, productive player unless a team makes it worth their while. Next year, at 21, I think he makes a leap and he gets the type of attention that makes Montreal willing to part with him.

I do like what I see from Biello though. Hasn’t played much but looks like he knows what he’s doing.