Nathan Saliba

Grandbloke

53 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Confirmed Saliba is captain.  Crazy.  But in a good way.  

Wow! That's amazing. I was so impressed with his play last season and was looking forward to seeing him build on it this yr but he has played very little due to injuries. This has to be a big boost for him. Hope he stays healthy.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Confirmed Saliba is captain.  Crazy.  But in a good way.  

Not too crazy after looking at the 11, its close, but he might be the most senior CFM in the lineup.  Definitely no leaders in there though.  It's great for Saliba.

What really caught my eye and is definitely more surprising, is I think Saliba gave the armband to Wanyama when they swapped, but Wanyama seemed to walk it over to Martinez and give it to him.  Wanyama would seem like the logical choice, given his seniority and roll within the team, even if he's been playing less.  He's definitely been a leader.  I hope I'm mistaken, will try to catch some clips to confirm. 

26 minutes ago, costarg said:

Not too crazy after looking at the 11, its close, but he might be the most senior CFM in the lineup.  Definitely no leaders in there though.  It's great for Saliba.

What really caught my eye and is definitely more surprising, is I think Saliba gave the armband to Wanyama when they swapped, but Wanyama seemed to walk it over to Martinez and give it to him.  Wanyama would seem like the logical choice, given his seniority and roll within the team, even if he's been playing less.  He's definitely been a leader.  I hope I'm mistaken, will try to catch some clips to confirm. 

If I saw correctly I believe Sirois actually had the armband after Saliba went off. 

He played alright. He’s excellent at positioning, he always seems like he’s in the right spot at the right time to break up a play, but he really needs to work on his passing. A lot of plays where he’ll break up a pass deep in Montreal territory, and then make a suicide pass to a striker with no shot at taking it or straight to an RBNY player. New York looked pretty awful so it didn’t lead to much, but I think he needs to brush that up before he’s considered for the CANMNT set up. He made a pretty good clearance towards the end of the game though. If he can get better at staying composed in traffic and making smarter passes in transition, the sky is the limit. Granted, he was paired with Bryce Duke last night who is very offensive minded, so didn’t have an anchor like Piette, Wanyama or Choiniere to provide backup. 

Neither of the goals were his fault and the game broke down after he was subbed off though. Cocorro and Martinez did not look CPL-level last night.

35 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He played alright. He’s excellent at positioning, he always seems like he’s in the right spot at the right time to break up a play, but he really needs to work on his passing. A lot of plays where he’ll break up a pass deep in Montreal territory, and then make a suicide pass to a striker with no shot at taking it or straight to an RBNY player. New York looked pretty awful so it didn’t lead to much, but I think he needs to brush that up before he’s considered for the CANMNT set up. He made a pretty good clearance towards the end of the game though. If he can get better at staying composed in traffic and making smarter passes in transition, the sky is the limit. Granted, he was paired with Bryce Duke last night who is very offensive minded, so didn’t have an anchor like Piette, Wanyama or Choiniere to provide backup. 

Neither of the goals were his fault and the game broke down after he was subbed off though. Cocorro and Martinez did not look CPL-level last night.

All round great, perfect summary. 

Sadly, having Martinez out there was like playing a man down last night.  I understand wanting to play all the forwards who just came back (Coccaro, Martinez, Opoku, & Toye) but didn't look like Martinez was quite in form.  Coccaro made some bad decisions, hopefully just rusty, but he was very active. 

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

All round great, perfect summary. 

Sadly, having Martinez out there was like playing a man down last night.  I understand wanting to play all the forwards who just came back (Coccaro, Martinez, Opoku, & Toye) but didn't look like Martinez was quite in form.  Coccaro made some bad decisions, hopefully just rusty, but he was very active. 

Things really fell apart in the second half and neither Martinez or Coccaro gave much effort. The fans really gave it to Coccaro when he fished real hard for a penalty that clearly wasn’t one, he stayed down for like 3 minutes, ended up having to sit out because of that MLS rule. Martinez completely gave up on a few runs too where he might not have beat his defender for the long ball, but didn’t even try.

Hope both of those guys are rusty, but I think I’d be fine going with 2 of Opuku, Ibrahim, and Vilsaint once he’s healthy as the striker rotation. Ibrahim has looked awesome this year. Canada don’t need even more MLS level strikers, but he’ll be eligible to switch nationalities in January 2026, and if he continues to grow… 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Things really fell apart in the second half and neither Martinez or Coccaro gave much effort. The fans really gave it to Coccaro when he fished real hard for a penalty that clearly wasn’t one, he stayed down for like 3 minutes, ended up having to sit out because of that MLS rule. Martinez completely gave up on a few runs too where he might not have beat his defender for the long ball, but didn’t even try.

Hope both of those guys are rusty, but I think I’d be fine going with 2 of Opuku, Ibrahim, and Vilsaint once he’s healthy as the striker rotation. Ibrahim has looked awesome this year. Canada don’t need even more MLS level strikers, but he’ll be eligible to switch nationalities in January 2026, and if he continues to grow… 

According to Wikipedia he already played 3 times for Nigeria senior team. 

22 minutes ago, HochelagaFC said:

According to Wikipedia he already played 3 times for Nigeria senior team. 

I think he’s only played once, and he was 18 at the time.

Has one fewer goal than Tani this year, playing as one of like 7 strikers and is only 21. If he’s good enough to play for us, he’s good enough to leave Montreal and thus lose out on Canadian eligibility, but I’ve been impressed with him this year.

6 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Sounds promising, the passing will come with playing more, Kone had that issue.

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think he’s only played once, and he was 18 at the time.

Has one fewer goal than Tani this year, playing as one of like 7 strikers and is only 21. If he’s good enough to play for us, he’s good enough to leave Montreal and thus lose out on Canadian eligibility, but I’ve been impressed with him this year.

Ibrahim's 3 caps came while he was in the Nigerian Premier League. It's not uncommon for Nigeria to have all-domestic camps. Even though NPL is a lower level than MLS, Ibrahim moving to North America pushes him further away from the Super Eagles, funny enough. He'd need to have Tani-level production in MLS to even be remotely considered at this point. 

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Ibrahim's 3 caps came while he was in the Nigerian Premier League. It's not uncommon for Nigeria to have all-domestic camps. Even thing NPL is a lower level than MLS, Ibrahim moving to North America pushes him further away from the Super Eagles, funny enough. He'd need to have Tani-level production in MLS to even be remotely considered at this point. 

Is the Transfermarkt/Fotmob data incorrect about him only having 1 cap then, since he may have played at an all-NPL camp?

Nigeria has some of the best striker depth in the world, so he's definitely not a factor with them, and if he's only got 3 caps, I doubt he gets the 4th that locks him up, so I don't think Nigeria would be an impediment on us getting him to switch, if he does stay in Montreal. But if he does stay in Montreal, it means he'll have never improved, which means we wouldn't call him. I guess what I'm saying is nothing here matters unless Ibrahim scores 25 goals a season for the next two years and turns down a move abroad due to his love of such a beautiful city and province. And then he decides to switch nationalities and only then gets transferred to a top 5 league.

6 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Sounds promising, the passing will come with playing more, Kone had that issue.

He's a lot more no nonsense with Kone. A good game for Kone is a game where you notice him everywhere, a good Saliba game is a game where you don't notice him at all, because it means that he did his job properly. Have seen him make great passes though- had a beautiful hockey assist last season where he bombed it down the field, caught a guy in transition who made an easy pass for a goal. Also doesn't help that he doesn't have many good options in front of him to get the ball to currently.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is the Transfermarkt/Fotmob data incorrect about him only having 1 cap then, since he may have played at an all-NPL camp?

Nigeria has some of the best striker depth in the world, so he's definitely not a factor with them, and if he's only got 3 caps, I doubt he gets the 4th that locks him up, so I don't think Nigeria would be an impediment on us getting him to switch, if he does stay in Montreal. But if he does stay in Montreal, it means he'll have never improved, which means we wouldn't call him. I guess what I'm saying is nothing here matters unless Ibrahim scores 25 goals a season for the next two years and turns down a move abroad due to his love of such a beautiful city and province. And then he decides to switch nationalities and only then gets transferred to a top 5 league.

He's a lot more no nonsense with Kone. A good game for Kone is a game where you notice him everywhere, a good Saliba game is a game where you don't notice him at all, because it means that he did his job properly. Have seen him make great passes though- had a beautiful hockey assist last season where he bombed it down the field, caught a guy in transition who made an easy pass for a goal. Also doesn't help that he doesn't have many good options in front of him to get the ball to currently.

No he doesn’t have many and MTL are in shambles and then some…

think it’s like he 5th start this year. 

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Not sure to be honest. If you're inclined you could go through the game reports here and find out how many games he played in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_African_Nations_Championship_qualification

Either way, Ibrahim is not scoring 25 goals in MLS and probably isn't getting a call back to Nigeria.