Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 2 - Croatia v Canada - November 27, 2022 - 7pm local time / 11am ET / 8am PT

narduch

18 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I just got back late last night and just finished watching (first half) of the replay of Canada vs Croatia.   I don't think it got picked up by the television feed but in the stadium, Borjan got boo'ed very loudly every time he touched the ball

It definitely got picked up.

I also noticed the Croatian goalkeeper later being booed every time he touched the ball, presumably by Canadian fans in the stadium.

10 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Not sure if this has been posted 

I know that Western media can't make sense of this and the Balkans are messed up (there's no 'good guys') but I'm shocked at how fucked up that banner was. 

Bringing and prominently display a banner celebrating ethnic cleansing is really really bad.

The CSA filed a complaint, which I’m surprised, but happy to hear. 

you take a Palestinian flag to a game and like 16 security guards come to carry you away, but the genocide flag takes a formal investigation to decide an outcome. Sick 👍

croatian fans equating Herdman’s comments to those flags. I know not all of them are classless idiots, but what fucking idiots.

54 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

This stuff makes me hold my nose and hope Belgium trash them.

A two goal bigger loss to Belgium than the scoreline of our win over Morocco, (ignoring another scenario) will put them out.  Trusting my suspect math.

It could happen. 

Is Morocco moving on despite a Canada win really the worst outcome of it all? Belgium sucks, whatever, but they never made it personal, and they’re supposed to go deep into the tournament. Would much rather see Croatia crash and burn.

funny, Croatia was my team in 2018 as soon as the knockouts began. This year, not so much. 

16 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is Morocco moving on despite a Canada win really the worst outcome of it all? Belgium sucks, whatever, but they never made it personal, and they’re supposed to go deep into the tournament. Would much rather see Croatia crash and burn 

funny, Croatia was my team in 2018 as soon as the knockouts began. This year, not so much. 

Not sure if my post came across correctly.  

Morocco deserve to move on, so far, I am always interested in a winner from a new continent, and I am club-wise excited about Aguerd.  Croatia, I always thought was the best team in the group, but classlessness, even in terms of diving and cheating have made me cheer against teams before.  And this is another level up.

In short I hope Belgium trash Croatia and go through (hold my nose on that), while we grab a narrow win, keeping Morocco in on goal difference. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Im confused, didn't we start the fire with Croatia? They just took it over, and made it bigger.

We brought this on ourselves.

Are you really?   

Saying you will f- someone and referencing a war with atrocities are very different levels of classlessness.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

16 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Are you really?   

Saying you will f- someone and referencing a war with atrocities are very different levels of classlessness.  

No, I'm able to separate some fans vs the coaches & players. 
Maybe I missed something, did the Croatian players make war remarks in reference to Borjan?

23 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not sure if my post came across correctly.  

Morocco deserve to move on, so far, I am always interested in a winner from a new continent, and I am club-wise excited about Aguerd.  Croatia, I always thought was the best team in the group, but classlessness, even in terms of diving and cheating have made me cheer against teams before.  And this is another level up.

In short I hope Belgium trash Croatia and go through (hold my nose on that), while we grab a narrow win. 

Oh absolutely- just saying that it wouldn't take too much for me to hold my nose and "cheer" for belgium. They're probably my least favourite world power, but they've never done anything to us, I won't mind either way if they advance from the group.

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Maybe I missed something, did the Croatian players make war remarks in reference to Borjan?

Me, personally, I don't want their fans to experience joy. Shame for the players, but they'll all go back to their top 5 league clubs and cry into their stacks of money if the WC doesn't go their way.

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

But you didn't seperate it, you said we did something and  "They just took it over, and made it bigger."  The coach and players did not make anything bigger, they just responded in kind.   The fans did and you knew who you were talking about when you made the comment. 

51 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

But you didn't seperate it, you said we did something and  "They just took it over, and made it bigger."  The coach and players did not make anything bigger, they just responded in kind.   The fans did and you knew who you were talking about when you made the comment. 

wait what...sorry maybe I was misunderstood.
By "We" I was literally only referring to the coach (JH words) to the Croatian players response (we saw who got effed).
What did "we" start for "we" to make sense?

Why do I care about racist fans....I'm not going to saying "not surprised, all Croatians are racists/bigots fuck em too"...
I reiterate/reword.....I can separate what a few fans did, and not tie it their national team. Which I believe some of you are finding hard to do. 

We lost fair and square without any Honduran like antics.

We move on, and go again.

If you are changing your opinions about which teams you like because of a little tiff with a team we just played, you obviously have no allegiances or ideas about football. I have little run-ins with certain frequency watching footie in Barcelona, and only when its with someone whose team I already don't like, then it reinforces my view. I've seen disgusting behaviour by visiting fans in the city, the latest being Rangers a few years back, but no problem, I don't like Rangers. I've had spats with Betis fans, who are over the top, but I get over them because I like Betis. 

Just be loyal to your own views. I like Croatia as a football team much more than Belgium, like their players, their style, they are a classy team. That is an objective fact and we saw it. They were not dirty, did not key our main players, did not try to injure Borjan by crashing in on corners, they were clean, noble and played excellently. They also gave a master class in staying focused down a goal. 

Anyways, if you really know people from the Balkans, you'll realise so many have mixed heritage and the lines are not so clearly defined. My dean is a woman who came as a refugee from Bosnia during the war, but part of her background was Croatian, from the famous pirate city of Omis. Yes, she lost friends to snipers in Sarajevo, but she refuses to be the Bosnian spokesperson for the Spanish press--she does get interviewed regularly-- because they are always trying to simplify the narratives. 

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you are changing your opinions about which teams you like because of a little tiff with a team we just played, you obviously have no allegiances or ideas about football.

You really let down the knowledge and experience have you of the game with the absolutely silly hyperbole you engage in, unfortunately, quite regularly.  

I wanted to Canada to win it all (what I want and expect are different of course), then I want England to do the same (with the same caveat) and then I would like someone new or from a new continent to win it and then I would like a West Ham player to win it.  In that order. Nothing of that has changed.  Because Croatian fans have exhibited some fairly massive classlessness, I reserve the right to now cheer against them. 

I have had to correct your demonstrable ideas about football before (Diego Costa?) so again a pretty silly statement since we both watch a lot of football. 

Not liking diving is racist, corners aren't important in the modern game etc. etc. 

Please mate, I enjoy you point of view, why do you need make these ridiclous things part of it so much. 

29 minutes ago, Shway said:

wait what...sorry maybe I was misunderstood.
By "We" I was literally only referring to the coach (JH words) to the Croatian players response (we saw who got effed).
What did "we" start for "we" to make sense?

Why do I care about racist fans....I'm not going to saying "not surprised, all Croatians are racists/bigots fuck em too"...
I reiterate/reword.....I can separate what a few fans did, and not tie it their national team. Which I believe some of you are finding hard to do. 

We lost fair and square without any Honduran like antics.

We move on, and go again.

Again, there was nothing - in your words - "bigger" about what Croatian players and staff did.  They responded in kind or with more class - honestly.  The posts recently on this thread were about the fans, not sure when the last one about the players was.  So, the fan response was the escalation  - "bigger" - and it was the current topic thread, not sure how you think your intitial post would not connect Herdman's comment to the Croatian fans.  

Federations are punished for what their fan do all the time.  It is perfect acceptable to connect them - as your sentence seemed to do.  

You are making a massive leap about people not thinking we lost fair and square.  And who we cheer against makes no difference at the end of the day, including whether we move on.  

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

You really let down the knowledge and experience have you of the game with the absolutely silly hyperbole you engage in, unfortunately, quite regularly.  

I wanted to Canada to win it all (what I want and expect are different of course), then I want England to do the same (with the same caveat) and then I would like someone new or from a new continent to win it and then I would like a West Ham player to win it.  In that order. Nothing of that has changed.  Because Croatian fans have exhibited some fairly massive classlessness, I reserve the right to now cheer against them. 

I have had to correct your demonstrable ideas about football before (Diego Costa?) so again a pretty silly statement since we both watch a lot of football. 

Not liking diving is racist, corners aren't important in the modern game etc. etc. 

Please mate, I enjoy you point of view, why do you need make these ridiclous things part of it so much. 

Croatian fans, you know nothing about Croatia fans. This little non-event has anything to do with the class of Croatians or Croatian fans, so shut up with your whining already. 

Anyone who thinks the latest school-yard insult has to change your world-view, that is weak-minded.

By justifying petty football spats, you are justifying the Croatian reaction to Herdman's F-bomb, you are exactly like the fans you think are classless.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

44 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

By justifying petty football spats, you are justifying the Croatian reaction to Herdman's F-bomb, you are exactly like the fans you think are classless.

@WestHamCanadianinOxfordThis....this is exactly my sentiment. 

You're starting to reach with these comments "You are making a massive leap about people not thinking we lost fair and square.  And who we cheer against makes no difference at the end of the day, including whether we move on.  

But hey, maybe I'm being naive again...but at the same time I'm used to unfair settings from Concacaf matches. So maybe I expect a little more.