Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 2 - Croatia v Canada - November 27, 2022 - 7pm local time / 11am ET / 8am PT

narduch

I'm not ready to send Herdman packing quite yet. The guy should be a National hero. I would have started with 3 in the middle, sure. But whatever you might gain from a guy like Tata, I think you risk in terms of the brotherhood. This is the most important thing, the piece that was missing all these years. We've always had the talent, it was the buy in that was missing in our sack the CSA misfit world. I worry Herdman is the main thing stopping us from taking a step back in that regard. Tactically, he was good enough for CONCACAF. And we sure looked good against Belgium. Let's see how Thursday goes before we cut all ties 😂

2 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I'm not ready to send Herdman packing quite yet. The guy should be a National hero. I would have started with 3 in the middle, sure. But whatever you might gain from a guy like Tata, I think you risk in terms of the brotherhood. This is the most important thing, the piece that was missing all these years. We've always had the talent, it was the buy in that was missing in our sack the CSA misfit world. I worry Herdman is the main thing stopping us from taking a step back in that regard. Tactically, he was good enough for CONCACAF. And we sure looked good against Belgium. Let's see how Thursday goes before we cut all ties 😂

Martino is the better coach, by a mile and he has a proper haircut.  He praises Canada team everytome he can.   Gerry Martino said the other day that Canada was the first team performance from all the 1st round of matches

6 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

The problem is more with Canada Soccer, and Herdman is part of that.

Even with the way they handled the player's dispute, they are really arrogant, and they chose to promote the coach rather than put spotlights on any of the players.

With all the one-on-one interviews he did with BBC, Fox News, Dailymail, etc.

He truly thought he could walk on water, and Canada Soccer promoted this notion.

6 hours ago, Mattd97 said:

I think we had a lot of tactical mistakes today.  You never dont want a 1-0 lead 2 minutes in, but i think it took out of of our best style of play and theres no way we could hold them for 88 minutes.

I kind of disagree. Getting that early goal was a godsend given that with Staq and Atiba's physical shape, Canada couldn't be at its best for more than 30 minutes. Knowing that, our best chance of getting a result was to get an early goal, substitute out Larin and Atiba at 30', and try to hold on for a 1-0 win or at least a 1-1 draw. But of course, hindsight is 20/20.

Edited by Allez les Rouges
Added emphasis in quote

20 minutes ago, Allez les Rouges said:

I kind of disagree. Getting that early goal was a godsend given that with Staq and Atiba's physical shape, Canada couldn't be at its best for more than 30 minutes. Knowing that, our best chance of getting a result was to get an early goal, substitute out Larin and Atiba at 30', and try to hold on for a 1-0 win or at least a 1-1 draw. But of course, hindsight is 20/20.

I agree, there was one major tactical error in this match, and that was not taking out a forward and adding another CM when we were getting bulldozed and obviously going to concede a goal. I think maybe managerial convention got in the way of that because you just don't see substitutions thirty minutes in, but Herdman must have been thinking it. He decided to try stick it out until half and it cost us. The game could have ended the same way and we might have been overrun anyway, but ceding possession to Croatia and letting them warm up and find their range and chemistry while watching us chasing shadows was a bad non-intervention IMO.

5 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

Martino is the better coach, by a mile and he has a proper haircut.  He praises Canada team everytome he can.   Gerry Martino said the other day that Canada was the first team performance from all the 1st round of matches

Tata is a mediocre coach, he failed big at Barcelona, he is a poor motivator, has weak psychology, and does not have a clear idea of how he wants to play. Watched him closely and don't like him at all.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Tata is a mediocre coach, he failed big at Barcelona, he is a poor motivator, has weak psychology, and does not have a clear idea of how he wants to play. Watched him closely and don't like him at all.

No way I would want Tata coaching Canada. It's not like he's been super successful with Mexico. Plus, he's a hothead. We don't need him. 

1 minute ago, RJB said:

I think Borjan needs to play.  He's been there for us, and deserves to play here.  You have to respect the sacrifice of your players. 

Yeah I largely agree. Don’t think he played that well against Croatia though. Did make some saves but on at least one of the goals thought he could have done more. 

Would be curious to see how DSC handles himself though. 

10 hours ago, top cheese said:

5. I think Herdman's arrogance has really influenced the results of the WC. I agree with Croatia's coach that he still has a lot to learn.

True or not, imagine what a piece of shit you'd have to be to come out and say this about an opponent. 

It would be like Davies coming out after a match saying "yeah, that Barcelona right back is slow as molasses, I was torching him all night". Just saying your own abilities are so much higher than your opponent that you feel perfectly fine issuing a summary judgment after 90 minutes.

Edited by jonovision

11 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

Tata will be back with a high profile but underachieving club in MLS.  

Welcome to Inter Miami! 🙂

While I agree that we should have used a 3 man mid, probably sending Larin to the bench, it was Larin's superb 1st touch control on the long ball from Borjan, and then his pass to Tajon that set up that beauty cross to Davies. The coaching staff should have adjusted tactically in game like they have done throughout WCQ. Anyone who was watching the game could see that equalizer coming. It was painfully obvious.

When I have been re-watching this match, the lack of an extra midfielder really shows in the Croatian build up for the goal that was called back for offsides in the 26th minute.  We were so easily sliced through on that play, with Eustaquio caught ball watching, Hutchinson jogging too slowly from the far side on the original multi-pass switch and never getting in a proper position to shield the back line, Buchanan too far up the field and inside so nowhere near to cover the on rushing and wide open LW Perisic at the far post because Johnston had to press inside to take Livaja and support Vitoria, who in turn was covering Kramaric for Miller who was caught way out of position at the halfway line.  Finally, Laryea got beaten off the blocks by the hard driving  Kramaric who (refreshingly, tbh) echewed the standard  flop you see in CONCACAF in an attempt to get a foul and/or card when Laryea originally tried to obstruct him and instead continued his run.  Meanwhile, the three guys up top were really nonfactors on the play from the very beginning.  

On 11/27/2022 at 7:42 PM, Metro said:

Wow, that is very unfortunate. The thread goes on to say Borjans phone was leaked which lead to him getting hundreds of hate texts. 

Borjans response was very classy as was the responses from Petkovic and other Croatian players that stuck up for him. 👏👏👏

I just got back late last night and just finished watching (first half) of the replay of Canada vs Croatia.   I don't think it got picked up by the television feed but in the stadium, Borjan got boo'ed very loudly every time he touched the ball

Edited by Free kick