Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 2 - Croatia v Canada - November 27, 2022 - 7pm local time / 11am ET / 8am PT

narduch

4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

If Herdman is being truthful here, it shows how a focus on loyalty and brotherhood can actually hinder the squad. Of course he could simply be saying this to support Atiba, but the fact that he wasn’t subbed out earlier tells me that Herdman believes it.

Now that is a bad quote. 

Actions speak louder than words right? Didn’t sub him out until the 72nd min. 

6 minutes ago, Floortom said:

If Herdman is being truthful here, it shows how a focus on loyalty and brotherhood can actually hinder the squad. Of course he could simply be saying this to support Atiba, but the fact that he wasn’t subbed out earlier tells me that Herdman believes it.

I dont think Atiba was bad At all he just needed someone like Kone or Fraser to block the midfield

27 minutes ago, Nick P said:

A lot to learn and build on from this tournament but I’m telling you Canada could be a scary team at the 2026 World Cup.

I doubt it unless Canada phase out certain older players and have youth within the side but also have maybe a few or even a couple old heads

One thing that I hope for Alphonso Davies is that Bayern Munich can eventually start playing him in midfield or as an attacking midfielder.  The issue for Alphonso Davies is that he is a beast in the attacking midfield position in the MLS and also in CONCACAF. But the problem is when Alphonso Davies starts to face top defenders, he makes mistakes and his passes aren't as sharp.  Of course, this is what top defenders will do to you, which the MLS doesn't have at the moment, and CONCACAF doesn't have either.

From my understanding, when Alphonso Davies went to Bayern Munich, he started out in midfield on the wing, which was the position he was comfortable playing at in the MLS.  But in the Bundesliga, he was struggling in that position and eventually, he was moved to left back, which he found immense success at Bayern Munich.  But still, left back is where Alphonso Davies is a world class player - he is not a world class player as an attacking midfield player.  For this reason, I hope that by the next World Cup cycle, Alphonso Davies will get more opportunities at Bayern to play as an attacking midfielder, and that Bayern develops him at that position.

Otherwise, even though Alphonso Davies it Canada's best attacking midfielder and possibly the best attacking midfielder in CONCACAF, that is still not the position that he plays at in Champions League, in the Bundesliga, etc.

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

I don't think Herdman even thinks he was bad. Would have yanked him at the half if he did

Should send alarm bells off. Not blasting his players in the media is fine but actions speak louder than words. 

And to get ahead of any posts, no, that doesn’t take away from everything Herdman has done for us.