Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 2 - Croatia v Canada - November 27, 2022 - 7pm local time / 11am ET / 8am PT

narduch

12 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I wonder if Herdman will actually take the blame on how he set up in the post game presser.

He's been spot on in WCQ but I remember after that embarrassment against the US in Orlando in 2019 he didn't take responsibility for how the team was set up in that game.

This defeat is all Herdman's I think,  should have changed after 20m

As with the first match, I avoided this  game thread during the match time until now but gotta honestly say, the moment I saw that we were going with only two real central midfielders, one of whom being 39 years old and hardly played this season, I just thought it would be a matter of time before the Croats found their rhythm in midfield, even after our very bright start.  I agree with those who suggested that maybe we don't win but I think our shape and stability would have made us a tougher out with one extra bona fide centre mid in the starting set up.

Just now, JAVIERF said:

This defeat is all Herdman's I think,  should have changed after 20m

What do you suppose would have happened had Herdman made the right tactical adjustment? Rainbows and lollipops and a 4-0 win? The talent gulf between the two teams is massive.

Worth noting that Canada doesn't go up 1-0 either if Canada doesn't set up tactically the way they do from the start.

Just now, jhoops__ said:

Incredible how many people shit on Alphonso!  Dude just scored an incredible first goal for our country and gives it everything he has but clowns always blaming him in a loss…ridiculous 

No,  he is a good player,  I don't like his attitude ,  and as the Argentina TV said...where do you play him?

Left back, ?

Center mid?

Attacking mid? 

Winger or second striker?

1 minute ago, JAVIERF said:

Yeah the lack of adjustment,  you got the early lead,  no need for 3-4-3 ,  the midfield got overrun by them,  he should have switched to 4-4-1-1 after 20 minutes,  

T

I'm not sure it would have mattered against Croatia. Parking the bus for 70+ mins against a very clinical team would have been just as bad imo.

Pretty disappointed in the result today but oh well, we gotta build step by step. We haven't been in the World Cup for some 36 years, just getting to the World Cup was a huge milestone.  From here, we need to consistently get to the World Cup every cycle, and build on what we have.

Unfortunately, we don't have the quality yet.  Quality takes time to build. I have said in the past that the best way for us to get world class players is if MLS keeps improving and keeps getting more competitive.  We benefit from MLS improving, and I think MLS improving is a huge reason why we made it to this World Cup in the first place.  So I hope that MLS will continue to improve, and Canada can benefit from that (just like how the Canadian National Basketball team got a boost from Toronto getting an NBA team).

Looking at Croatia, they got players playing all over Europe and at some very good clubs in Europe.  My hope is that one day, MLS either rivals the top leagues in Europe, or that MLS is good enough that top clubs in Europe start acquiring Canadian players and developing them (ie. like Bayern did to Alphonso Davies). 

This is a long term process, where hopefully, we can advance step by step.  But anyways, good for us for making this World Cup and from here on out, I hope we can build on where we are today.

Edited by football_world

I'm so proud of our team.  They played hard and were unsuccessful, but that feeling after Davies scored is unmatched for me.  I will cherish it.  Croatia were very good, had great shape and were difficult at the back.  I feel bad for Kamal at the end there, as he didn't deserve that.  But also, I don't think it was a 4-1 game - although we didn't deserve a point.  

Congratulations on achieving one of our goals: scoring a goal.  And now on to the next match to meet our next target of getting a point!

23 minutes ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

I am personally looking forward to the Morocco game.  I hope you guys will all be watching it as well.

Not sure who to cheer for now.  Maybe Argentina.

You know, we could still play spoiler for Morocco.  Belgium needs to beat Croatia but but we could do are part to spoil their party.

Just now, BearcatSA said:

As with the first match, I avoided this  game thread during the match time until now but gotta honestly say, the moment I saw that we were going with only two real central midfielders, one of whom being 39 years old and hardly played this season, I just thought it would be a matter of time before the Croats found their rhythm in midfield, even after our very bright start.  I agree with those who suggested that maybe we don't win but I think our shape and stability would have made us a tougher out with one extra bona fide centre mid in the starting set up.

Yeah he should have changed a few minutes after the 1-0,  they needed an extra mid,  Hoilett had a good game vs Bel why off?   And adekugbe ?  

8 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I'm not sure it would have mattered against Croatia. Parking the bus for 70+ mins against a very clinical team would have been just as bad imo.

No. It is not park the bus is dont give away counter attacks with the players At disposal,  you cant defend with attacking minded players anyway,  Canadá stopped controlling the match after 20 minutes similar to France vs Australia

Edited by JAVIERF

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

If Herdman is being truthful here, it shows how a focus on loyalty and brotherhood can actually hinder the squad. Of course he could simply be saying this to support Atiba, but the fact that he wasn’t subbed out earlier tells me that Herdman believes it.

This might be the craziest thing he’s ever said.

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

If Herdman is being truthful here, it shows how a focus on loyalty and brotherhood can actually hinder the squad. Of course he could simply be saying this to support Atiba, but the fact that he wasn’t subbed out earlier tells me that Herdman believes it.

Wtf was he watching to have that assessment?  Hutch was behind the play and clutching his chest the entire game .

4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I think the Eustaquio injury tied his hands in that regard. Atiba was actually pretty decent in the second half.