Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 2 - Croatia v Canada - November 27, 2022 - 7pm local time / 11am ET / 8am PT

narduch

1 minute ago, canucksfan said:

We got outplayed by a better team. It happens. The Belgium game was our chance and that one is the real disappointment for me. Feel that if we had scored the PK or got 1 of the other 2 we deserved in that game, this third game would matter. 

I would go all out on the youth in the Morocco game. We need to get the experience for '26.

No I think Herdman didn't change the team soon enough,  the equalizer was coming ,  they controlled the match I would have played Davies as a center mid instead of a forward you badly needed someone next to Atiba and Eustaquio to balance the team and David to roam 

Just now, jonovision said:

The youth are the guys that have played, for the most part. Kone, Davies, David, Buchanan, Johnston are among the youngest on team. 

Kone needs to start the last game and David needs to be tried in a different role. 

I would also be giving more time to Millar. 

Just focus on building for the 2026 FIFA World Cup especially since Canada is hosting alongside USA and Mexico. Especially now that Canada is eliminated, we may as well turn our attention to that which means building a team for 2026 and preparing for that tournament which is in our own backyard. May as well prepare for that by playing friendly matches and also turning our attention towards Gold Cup and CONCACAF Nations League.

I’m incredibly proud to call myself Canadian today.  This is just the start for this program.  The hate needs to stop, we played to the best of our abilities and we’re just outclassed by superior programs with better players and a much deeper history than us.

Herdman - I normally don’t include him in my evaluations but I felt like he should be.  I think he got it wrong today with the two man midfield and I continue to wonder why he allows Davies to do whatever he wants without repercussions.  I still think he absolutely deserves to remain as coach for everything he’s done.  Team Herdman still.

Borjan - Absolutely embarrassing the few people waiting to hate on Borjan.  Kept us in this game like he’s done all qualifying.  Class keeper and leader that we need.  F the haters.

Vitoria - Played to his ability but obviously just a bit out of his level here.

Miller - Prone to these mistakes.  Played immense in both games but he may have a low ceiling in my opinion.  Again completely outclassed vs a strong Croatian attack.

Johnston - Much similar to Kamal.  Maybe a little higher ceiling than Kamal but a level too high for him right now.

Hutchinson - Obviously a very tough game for him.  I’m not upset at all vs Hutchinson starting, I’m upset with him starting against an incredible midifeld with only him and Eustaquio.  Was surely to be pulled at half if Eustaquio was hurt.

Eustaquio - Thought he was solid but not exceptional.  Similar to Hutchinson.  A tough ask to play against Modric, Brozovic and Kovacic.  We need more midfielders like him in our program for 2026.

Davies - So happy that he was the one to score the goal and looked incredibly skilled on the ball.  Way too much hero ball and someone needs to step up and tell him to get off set pieces.  It’s almost like no one wants to be the one to tell Davies.

Tajon - A big money move coming.  Needs to improve finishing but increíbly fast and skilled.  Caused fits all game.

Laryea - Caused problems early but quickly fell out of the game.  He still showed great work early on.  

Larin - Looked fantastic for 20 minutes but again, going with him and David instead of a 3rd man in the midfield.  I still think his 75 minutes were more effective than David’s two complete games.

David - Unfortunately non-existent once again today.

Osorio - Played well.  Linked well and created some chances.  Should have started with Eustaquio and Hutchinson (or Kone).

Kone - Still has his moments where you wonder what’s going through his head but he’s the future with Eustaquio right now.

Junior - Thought he did well.  Slow start when he came on but created more late.  Also though he may have been a better candidate to start.

Cavallini - Didn’t see anything from him besides a body check.

Adekugbe - Not a lot to show today.  Hopeful he can get the start next game.

Edited by Corazon

1 minute ago, Corazon said:

I’m incredibly proud to call myself Canadian today.  This is just the start for this program.  The hate needs to stop, we played to the best of our abilities and we’re just outclassed by superior programs with better players and a much deeper history than us.

Herdman - I normally don’t include him in my evaluations but I felt like he should be.  I think he got it wrong today with the two man midfield and I continue to wonder why he allows Davies to do whatever he wants without repercussions.  I still think he absolutely deserves to remain as coach for everything he’s done.  Team Herdman still.

Borjan - Absolutely embarrassing the few people waiting to hate on Borjan.  Kept us in this game like he’s done all qualifying.  Class keeper and leader that we need.  F the haters.

Vitoria - Played to his ability but obviously just a bit out of his level here.

Miller - Prome to these mistakes.  Played inmense in both games but he had a low ceiling in my opinion.  Again completely outclassed vs a strong Croatian attack.

Johnston - Much similar to Kamal.  Maybe a little higher ceiling than Kamal but a level too high for him right now.

Hutchinson - Obviously a very tough game for him.  I’m not upset at all vs Hutchinson starting, I’m upset with him starting against an incredible midifeld with only him and Eustaquio.  Was surely to be pulled at half if Eustaquio was hurt.

Eustaquio - Thought he was solid but not exceptional.  Similar to Hutchinson.  A tough ask to play against Modric, Brozovic and Kovacic.  We need more midfielders like him in our program for 2026.

Davies - So happy that he was the one to score the goal and looked incredibly skilled on the ball.  Way too much hero ball and someone needs to step up and tell him to get off set pieces.  It’s almost like no one wants to be the one to tell Davies.

Tajon - A big money move coming.  Needs to improve finishing but increíbly fast and skilled.  Caused fits all game.

Laryea - Caused problems early but quickly fell out of the game.  He still showed great work early on.  

Larin - Looked fantastic for 20 minutes but again, going with him and David instead of a 3rd man in the midfield.  I still think his 75 minutes were more effective than David’s two complete games.

David - Unfortunately non-existent once again today.

Osorio - Played well.  Linked well and created some chances.  Should have started with Eustaquio and Hutchinson (or Kone).

Kone - Still has his moments where you wonder what’s going through his head but he’s the future with Eustaquio right now.

Junior - Thought he did well.  Slow start when he came on but created more late.  Also though he may have been a better candidate to start.

Cavallini - Didn’t see anything from him besides a body check.

Adekugbe - Not a lot to show today.  Hopeful he can get the start next game.

Someone needs to give a lecture to Davies,  he was the worst Canadian player,  and created 10 counterattacks for them,  at least

Just now, canadave said:

Have told family and friends for as long as I can remember - 15 years+ easily - that one of my few sports dreams is seeing Canada score at the World Cup. I saw it today. I shouted and even cried a bit. 

But man this was not a good day. This one will hurt for a while. 

Real mixed emotions. 

Excitement to Euphoria to Exasperation. 

All in 90 minutes. 

1 minute ago, canadave said:

Have told family and friends for as long as I can remember - 15 years+ easily - that one of my few sports dreams is seeing Canada score at the World Cup. I saw it today. I shouted and even cried a bit. 

But man this was not a good day. This one will hurt for a while. 

Its football!! Some fellows here because at HT said game was over,  I'm 45 years old, it is from watching WC,  you can't give away a 1-0 to 1-2 so soon

4 minutes ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

So you think Herdman should have said what he said and he shouldn't be embarrassed?

I don’t agree with what he said but I think it had nothing to do with the result.

Croatia with that top midfield and experience throughout the squad is a major part. The naive midfield setup cost us, as did Herdmans lack of adjustments. 

Even if we got the setup right we likely would have still lost. 

Just now, canuckgbp said:

I don’t agree with what he said but I think it had nothing to do with the result.

Croatia with that top midfield and experience throughout the squad is a major part. The naive midfield setup cost us, as did Herdmans lack of adjustments. 

Even if we got the setup right we likely would have still lost. 

Yeah the lack of adjustment,  you got the early lead,  no need for 3-4-3 ,  the midfield got overrun by them,  he should have switched to 4-4-1-1 after 20 minutes,  

T