Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 1 - Belgium v Canada - November 23, 2022 - 10pm local time / 2pm ET / 11am PT

narduch

Shows how far this program has come in just two years that we are all gutted we did not pick up a point against Belgium at the WC.  We dominated much of the game and just could not convert a few of the really good chances we had.  Though I would have David taking all our PKs, I can't fault Davies for stepping up. He scores that goal and he is an instant legend and we all sing songs of his glory forevermore. 

This team has grown SO much, it is incredible.  Seems evident to me that we're the best in CONCACAF, still. 

Excited to see what we might do vs. Croatia. If we get rest, recuperate, and put up a similar line up and formation, I feel we'll finally get that goal, perhaps even win the game.

Edited by The Beaver 2.0

18 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Don't be this guy.

It was about who had the balls to take it. If David wanted if, Davies would have deferred like he has several other times for Canada.

“Balls” aren’t what is required. And I don’t think, anyway, that  was what was happening. I don’t mean my comment as a slight against Davies. It’s more about the reality of being a young superstar with a ridiculous amount of media attention. Based on previous experience and who else on the field, Davies shouldn’t be taking penalties. That he is our “superstar” should have little to do with it. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Wow.  Once again, congrats @spitfire   That has to be pretty damn special.  

Thanks so much. And to see it in person. We are all kind of numb!  The boys played like lions and really deserved more from the game!! Thought my lad did really well came in and effected the game combined well with Sam made some good runs.  (except that corner)!!! Put a few really good balls in box. The boys were really unlucky!! Bring on Croatia!! 

4 minutes ago, ECW said:

“Balls” aren’t what is required. And I don’t think, anyway, that  was what was happening. I don’t mean my comment as a slight against Davies. It’s more about the reality of being a young superstar with a ridiculous amount of media attention. Based on previous experience and who else on the field, Davies shouldn’t be taking penalties. That he is our “superstar” should have little to do with it. 

I agree with kevin kilbane on the post game show, that Herdman probably should have made the "who takes the PK" decision before the game.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

We were a victim of the big team favouritism today as otherwise I am at a loss to explain the lack of three PK’s. 

But could not be prouder of the boys

Yeah, I keep hearing there were 3 shouts for a penalty.

There was the one that was given.

There was the one that was missed where Laryea’s foot got clearly stepped on.

What was the third?

I'll add my voice to what is probably a long list of solo voices getting their thoughts off their chest.

First, wow.  That was a Canada front-foot game like we rarely even saw in the last 2 years, and against Belgium?  Wow.  The first 5-10-15 minutes were a fantastic display.  Even if they fizzled out after that, which they didn't, would have more than checked the box "are you prepared for a World Cup?"

Second.  Was Belgium poor, or Canada great/opportunistic?  Haven't watched any commentary yet, and I'm sure all those themes get explored as an explanation for this game.  I really am suprised at how little Belgium showed themselves this game, but Im not surprised at how Canada bodied them off of balls, and made themselves opportunities.  

Third.  The PK.  Yep, it was a surprise to see Davies walk into the box.Not that he's bad, and he certainly gets the benfit of so much big stage play already that maybe he was the right choice for such a pressure filled moment.  I would not have been unhappy to see David try his luck.  

Four.  Well, results wise, we got the very best of the bad, and the very worst of the good.  Or something like that. To come away with that result with that performance is extremely disappointing, given the opportunities shown, and the stellar play.  At the same time, it is a fantastic result to confirm how truly Canada belongs on the WC pitch, and not as filler...that was a competitive game throughout.

Five.  Herdman will accentuate all the positives and none of the negatives.  And I bet his squad will follow.  I hardly had a chance to evaluate tactics, but he must have got something right, so I expect more of the same for the next 2 matches.

11 minutes ago, Califax said:

Hot: herdman dropping an f bomb to attempt to take the attention off Davies.

Not: not having a plan for who takes penalties before the game. 

I am pretty sure Herdman has said in the past he leaves it to the players to decide. At this level, you should be able to trust your players with this.

We're gonna be out in the groups not because of lack of talent but because of naivety and inexperience and that hurts even more. Should've had at least a second pen in the first but it doesn't change that our decision making in the final 3rd was abysmal. Our mid was nonexistent and we were playing long balls 9/10 times and Belgium somehow didn't capitalize on it. Once every 20 minutes when we decided to play on the ground we'd get a chance from some nice combination but then it was back to long balls. Larin's going to start the 2 next games because David has 0 arial presence and we'll have to sacrifice some speed on the wings.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It has been said by Herdman somewhere, its up to the players.

Yes just like Davies couldn’t get a corner kick over the first defender all qualifying and yet continued to do so.  You are the coach.  In my opinion, this is something you should control as a coach.  I am 100% behind Herdman and what a performance he just lead us in against Belgium.  Perhaps his decision to allow players to make the decisions on who takes penalties, corner kicks and set pieces is what it is.  But then you also need to take accountability when the players taking the corners, penalties etc. struggle when they take them.  
It doesn’t mean you don’t take responsibility as a coach if you let the players make those decisions.  You take responsibility for making those decisions when they don’t work out.  Same reason why we all wonder how Davies has done far to much hero ball and never fixed it. with that being said, I cannot commend Herdman enough for what he’s done for our program and how well we played today.  And I cannot commend Davies enough for an incredible performance today aside from the very poor penalty.

Edited by Corazon

If you told me before the game that Canada would lose 1-0 against Belgium, I would've taken it and been pleased. After watching that game, 1-0 and I'm disappointed. Extremely proud of the boys, especially the backline which was a majority MLS players. Worldwide fans took notice. Worldwide people love to hate on MLS, but we had MLS players (who I guess will soon be former MLS players) going toe-to-toe with world class players.

We definitely need to work on our finishing, but I expected the game to be the opposite - Belgium dominating and Canada trying those quick long ball counters using our speed. I never once expected us to dominate this game and we did. It was always a tough gauge to see how "for real" we were. As good as we looked in qualifying, part of me was always like "Yes, we look amazing, but it's also CONCACAF team. How will we look against UEFA teams". Well, we faced a top UEFA team and played extremely well. We are for real. If we can become more clinical on our finishing and improve our CB depth after Vitoria retires, we can definitely become a consistent threat to reach the knockouts in future WCs

12 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

We're gonna be out in the groups not because of lack of talent but because of naivety and inexperience and that hurts even more. Should've had at least a second pen in the first but it doesn't change that our decision making in the final 3rd was abysmal. Our mid was nonexistent and we were playing long balls 9/10 times and Belgium somehow didn't capitalize on it. Once every 20 minutes when we decided to play on the ground we'd get a chance from some nice combination but then it was back to long balls. Larin's going to start the 2 next games because David has 0 arial presence and we'll have to sacrifice some speed on the wings.

No, it doesn't hurt more to lose because of naivete and inexperience. That makes no sense. The ONLY way to get experience is to play these very games.  We stepped up a notch in every way today, and a bunch of guys with NO experience at this level just got blooded. And, not to quibble, but sometimes a long ball is a tactically smart choice. We made use of a number of excellent long balls. Keep in mind that the Belgian goal came off of a direct, long ball.