Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 1 - Belgium v Canada - November 23, 2022 - 10pm local time / 2pm ET / 11am PT

narduch

4 minutes ago, Miche said:

I'm not enjoying all this controversy / blame on Davies taking the pen. He'll feel bad as it is. Let's rally.

There are two facts. 1) he doesn't take penalties for his club. 2) it was a terrible attempt. Based on those two things, there is always going to be criticism. It's just the life of high level sports. 

2 minutes ago, canadasoccer20 said:

David HAS to take that penalty. This man takes penalties for Lille, one of the top scores in a top 5 league. Davies is our best player and that's fine, but this is the World Cup. We need our best penalty taker taking that. 

David looked nervous all game.  I have no idea but maybe he didn't want it. Still Vitoria should be next in my opinion. Or even Junior.

1 minute ago, shortofbrillant said:

There are two facts. 1) he doesn't take penalties for his club. 2) it was a terrible attempt. Based on those two things, there is always going to be criticism. It's just the life of high level sports. 

To me it doesn't even have to be a blaming Davies thing. Herdman and his staff should know he shouldn't be the guy taking penalties. Even if he scored I think we would still be criticizing this decision 

Just now, JuicyHam said:

To me it doesn't even have to be a blaming Davies thing. Herdman and his staff should know he shouldn't be the guy taking penalties. Even if he scored I think we would still be criticizing this decision 

Herdman has said he leaves it up to the players to decide. Nothing wrong with that. Davies grabbed and missed, it is what it is.

2 minutes ago, canadasoccer20 said:

David HAS to take that penalty. This man takes penalties for Lille, one of the top scores in a top 5 league. Davies is our best player and that's fine, but this is the World Cup. We need our best penalty taker taking that. 

Is the silver lining we got that out of the way? We coughed up the points but no one expected much from this game. If we attack like we did in the next two games we have a solid chance. 

ps- I don’t buy that Belgium let us dictate play. Seen a little of that on twitter. They were rattled. 

People complaining about the ref are a bit out to lunch IMO. You think we should have been given two additional PKs in the 1st half? The Eustaquio blocked shot was NEVER a penalty, the defenders arms were tight to his body and if that went against Canada we'd be livid.

The Lareya decision was maybe a bit tighter, but I agree with the commentary at the time that Lareya went looking for contact. No PK in my opinion.

Overall, very proud of the boys. We'll need more from David and Davies against Croatia if we want to beat them though.

And yes, no more egos please (Cavallini, Davies PKs), our PK taker should be Jonathan David and that's that. If he isn't on, probably Vitoria!

Just now, canuckgbp said:

Is the silver lining we got that out of the way? We coughed up the points but no one expected much from this game. If we attack like we did in the next two games we have a solid chance. 

ps- I don’t buy that Belgium let us dictate play. Seen a little of that on twitter. They were rattled. 

Tielemans and Carrasco had to get pity-subbed, they were so bad.

Very tough to lose on such an obvious mistake. Mistakes that happen within the play, okay, that’s football… but this was something else. David, Vitoria, Hoillet… penalties should not be about who has the greatest media attention or the most tiktok followers.