Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 1 - Belgium v Canada - November 23, 2022 - 10pm local time / 2pm ET / 11am PT

narduch

Is there a reason that John Herdman didn't start Cyle Larin? Cyle Larin is our best goal scorer and aside from the penalty shot, Cyle Larin probably had the best shot on goal for Canada with his header. Our problem is that we don't have world class finishers (which is fine, it's not like we're going to produce world class finishers overnight, it takes time to grow them).  Most of our best chances came when Cyle Larin was on the bench, if Cyle Larin had been there when we had our best chances, it may have made the difference.

Did Cyle Larin make our formation or whatever strategy we had, worse against Belgium and that's why John Herdman didn't start Cyle Larin?

Otherwise, I give John Herdman a B+ or A- in this match. Overall, I'm happy with the way Canada played. We actually created a lot of chances and we had Belgium on the backfoot.  Not bad, given that Belgium is #2 in the FIFA rankings. I was worried about a 7-0 drubbing like Spain gave to Costa Rica.  Against the #2 ranked team in the world, we walked away with a pretty respectable match.  So that's why I give John Herdman a B+ or A- for this match. I still want to know why John Herdman didn't start Cyle Larin though.

Edited by football_world

2 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Man. We shouldve had two additional pks in the first half. 

I have no idea how we don’t get a Pk when the guy steps on Richie’s foot.  That immediately brought him down.  The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that is a PK if is isn’t nouveau riche Canada against a world power.  

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I have no idea how we don’t get a Pk when the guy steps on Richie’s foot.  That immediately brought him down.  The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that is a PK if is isn’t nouveau riche Canada against a world power.  

I felt that was a penalty too

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Just my opinion, but Richie reached his foot out steptoe Vardy style.

1 minute ago, mpg_29 said:

Think this just exposed lack of finishing quality...especially against the big teams. Also lot of poor free kicks. When Belgium essentially parked the bus near the end I knew we weren't scoring. Also Courtois...

How &@$?!£¥ crazy was that thought at 2pm today?????

9 minutes ago, football_world said:

Is there a reason that John Herdman didn't start Cyle Larin? Cyle Larin is our best goal scorer and aside from the penalty shot, Cyle Larin probably had the best shot on goal for Canada with his header. Our problem is that we don't have world class finishers (which is fine, it's not like we're going to produce world class finishers overnight, it takes time to grow them).  Most of our best chances came when Cyle Larin was on the bench, if Cyle Larin had been there when we had our best chances, it may have made the difference.

Did Cyle Larin make our formation or whatever strategy we had, worse against Belgium and that's why John Herdman didn't start Cyle Larin?

Otherwise, I give John Herdman a B+ or A- in this match. Overall, I'm happy with the way Canada played. We actually created a lot of chances and we had Belgium on the backfoot.  Not bad, given that Belgium is #2 in the FIFA rankings. I was worried about a 7-0 drubbing like Spain gave to Costa Rica.  Against the #2 ranked team in the world, we walked away with a pretty respectable match.  So that's why I give John Herdman a B+ or A- for this match. I still want to know why John Herdman didn't start Cyle Larin though.

Larin has barely played at all for his club this year. He’s definitely better for country than club for sure, but at a certain point, he just isn’t as in form as our other guys. Agreed that he was buzzing today though