Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 1 - Belgium v Canada - November 23, 2022 - 10pm local time / 2pm ET / 11am PT

narduch

Pretty crazy mix of emotions. 

Extremely proud of the boys and the way they played.  No one can be critical of the effort.  

But, having played so it is well, it is disappointing it to get a result.  Some missed opportunities, some poor decisions (sorry, but Davies doesn’t take that PK in my world) and you have to think that we let Belgium off the hook today. 

Again, it is dumbfounding to even think that was a possibility before the game, but it is still true - we could be a win or drawn today.  

But proud of you boys.  And proud of every V that made the trip and was cheering from the stands.  Well done.  

Ultimately proud of what this team showed against Belgium, but have to feel like it's a missed opportunity.

David and Larin's finishing unfortunately doesn't seem to be at the elite level. David at the very least could improve but that cross that came right at him and he couldn't barely do anything with it about summed it up.

One missed penalty and one missed penalty call.  The result could have been different.

I was worried we'd end up losing 4 - 0, and playing like we did against Uruguay.  We played very well, and I think we were the better side.

What's disappointing is we've still never scored a goal at the World Cup.

Edited by vancanman

Damn, that sucks. 

A few words stand out for me:

Proud. Enough said. 

Inexperience. At this level, cost us the goal. 

Effort. Lads left it all out there. 

Clinical. They were, we weren’t. 

Disappointed. We deserved something more than zero points.

Encouraged  We can go into our next two games with many positives from this match (including the earlier result today). 

Edited by gwsmith63