Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

Hard not to see France as the favourite at this point. England had so much talent, but never generated much from open play in the end against organized defence, a struggle that was foreshadowed in their game vs. the U.S.

I've backed Morocco to surprise people all along, but they are so banged up now that I just can't see them pulling off one more.

Today vs. Portugal was the first time I felt the Moroccans needed to ride their luck at the defensive end, France will finish one or more of the chances that Portugal got today.

2 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

Hard not to see France as the favourite at this point. England had so much talent, but never generated much from open play in the end against organized defence, a struggle that was foreshadowed in their game vs. the U.S.

I've backed Morocco to surprise people all along, but they are so banged up now that I just can't see them pulling off one more.

Today vs. Portugal was the first time I felt the Moroccans needed to ride their luck at the defensive end, France will finish one or more of the chances that Portugal got today.

England had the actual midfield most of the game save the first push. Kane with more pace to get onto chances and Saka's final ball meant they had few really good opportunies

Burning pace on the wings killed them defensively.   

Depends on who is fit for in the backline Morocco, their first choice actual matches up pretty well.   Hakimi is really really fast. But a lot are missing. 

6 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Morocco might actually have an easier chance vs France than the previous two opponents. France were awful today

France were great until they scored. Then switched off. 

I do think they walk over Morocco though. Two-goal win.

I think England is better than any of the remaining teams, so I have France as favourites now. I'm sure most do.

Edited by jonovision

It's nice when you have players like Sterling and Rashford waiting on the bench. This is the depth of talent we need one day, if we are ever to contend for the World Cup, or make it deep into the playoffs.  Granted, Morocco doesn't have the same level of talent as the other semi-finalists, but runs like Morocco with the talent they have (and Greece when they won the Euros) are pretty rare.

I think Canada will get there one day, hopefully the MLS keeps on improving and we benefit from that.

Edited by football_world

Bruno Fernandes:

Translation:

"I don't know if they're going to give the Cup to Argentina. I don't care, I'll say what I think and fuck them. It's very strange that a referee from a team that is still in the Cup is refereeing our game. They clearly ended the game for us."

Anyone know what is Portuguese for "Sore Losers"?

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

France were great until they scored. Then switched off. 

I do think they walk over Morocco though. Two-goal win.

Not sure why you think that.  No one has even scored a goal on Morocco in their last 8 matches.  (Except for our Sam of course 😉).

1 minute ago, GasPed said:

Not sure why you think that.  No one has even scored a goal on Morocco in their last 8 matches.  (Except for our Sam of course 😉).

I think France scores at least once, and if Morocco is forced to get out of their defensive shape, which we haven't seen yet, a second can easily follow.

Just now, BearcatSA said:

Pepe needs to pick up the toys he threw out of his pram.  Ditto his teammates and his country's supporters.

Honestly, the only call I thought was a bit iffy in that game was the 2nd yellow resulting the ejection of Cheddira for Morocco, not a crazy call but seemed a bit soft to send a man off, especially as the refs (in general) seem to have been going out of their way to avoid sending people off so far in the tournament.

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I think France scores at least once, and if Morocco is forced to get out of their defensive shape, which we haven't seen yet, a second can easily follow.

It's possible, but then that's what everyone has predicted every game - i.e. "Croatia should take them", "Belgium will expose them", "I like our (Canada) chances", "Spain will definitely open them up", "Portugal scored 6 on Switzerland and for sure they'll score on Morocco".  Not saying your prediction won't happen, just saying there's a growing body of evidence that it may very well not... 

The French central defence is a little suspect plus Lloris can be a little dodgy claiming crosses (like how Di-odgy-o Costa was today).

All the pressure is on France, like it was on Portugal, on Spain, on Belgium, and on Croatia.  When Morocco were the favourites, against us, after our self inflicted first half wounds, they weren't very good in the second half.

Morroco's biggest problem is that of running out of key healthy guys.  

If you think about reffing, we have far more reason to complain. 

We received no favours.

We had legitimate right to question 2 more calls in the box vs Belgium, one a scandal: no penalty review because of an offside that was miscalled because it was off a Belgian defender.

Then one vs Morocco, Johnston was pushed as hard as hell and missed the rebound on the Hutch chance.

No other team had as many legit cause for complaint.