Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

This was what I hate about the WC,  seeing a team thats goes out there and does nothing to try to win in reg time and extra time,  get rewarded by a win in PK’s. 

plus,  the rest of the tournament is now fucked up because a weaker team advanced.  Which in turn means that the final 4 wont be a strong as it should be and wont deliver as interesting games. 

Edited by Free kick

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Well at least we lost 2 teams advancing to the round of 8. 

But..But...But they were both so beatable 🙄

Just goes to show that Canada's matches were harder then some give credit to. 

Maybe just maybe, we were in a group of death ?

Now that is the textbook definition of bunkering.  Very nice bunkering by Morocco, coaches in the future will be studying how Morocco bunkered against Spain.

The interesting part of Morocco's bunker is, it was a very compact bunker.  Morocco was voluntarily letting Spain walk up to about 65% up the field without challenging Spain.  The striker for Morocco was positioned around the 35% part of Morocco's side.  But once Spain tried to pass into the remaining 35% of Morocco's side, that's where the turnovers happened for Spain.

Also, Morocco's defense was very organized.  Heck, the entire team was very organized on defense. Very impressive bunkering defense.

In hindsight, I think Canada should have bunkered against Croatia. Did anybody watch the Morocco vs Croatia game, did Morocco bunker against Croatia?

Happy to see Morocco pull it off. Spain didn't deserve a win. As noted by others above, Canada generated more dangerous chances against Morocco than they did.  Adekugbe can skin Hakimi to create the (own)goal and Hutch is within inches of an equalizer, but Spain can't create one clear chance in 120 minutes?

You don't often see a team not score a single penalty in a shootout. Reminds of England vs Portugal in the 2006 World Cup. I was watching with a friend and before the shootout I said, 'now you'll see the definitive proof that Hargreaves isn't really English, he'll score his penalty' and sure enough...