Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

I'm not sure one can really say NED/USA was like CRO/CAN. I'd say that CRO was more dominant in the last 65 minutes vs. CAN than NED was vs. USA. Similarly, CAN was thoroughly dominated by MAR in the first 30 minutes, while ARG scored on pretty much its only chance in the first half. Due to both player form/health and coach tactics, we had a big hole in the middle that neither the USA or AUS had.

I just hope the Round of 16 doesn't prove to be the end of upsets. Would be a letdown after such an exciting Group Stage.

33 minutes ago, Allez les Rouges said:

I'm not sure one can really say NED/USA was like CRO/CAN. I'd say that CRO was more dominant in the last 65 minutes vs. CAN than NED was vs. USA. Similarly, CAN was thoroughly dominated by MAR in the first 30 minutes, while ARG scored on pretty much its only chance in the first half. Due to both player form/health and coach tactics, we had a big hole in the middle that neither the USA or AUS had.

I just hope the Round of 16 doesn't prove to be the end of upsets. Would be a letdown after such an exciting Group Stage.

Australia did nothing of note until they scored. They were only in the match for 20 minutes but nearly made it count.

11 hours ago, 74 Whitecap said:

Was going to log on at halftime to say the same, but you beat me to it. Gotta figure van Gaal drew it up that way, great execution by the Dutch. I wonder if Berhalter thinks the U.S. is dominating this game...

That was meant to be a joke above, posted at haltfime, but apparently he did think they were dominating:

😀 I can't even...

41 minutes ago, Allez les Rouges said:

I think the two games were similar, because it felt when the Dutch wanted to break down the US defenders, they did it with ease, just like Croatia did with us.

This was an elimination game, so they took less risks than Croatia did with us. This US match could of easily been 5-1, if they didn't play conservatively.

4 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

That was meant to be a joke above, posted at haltfime, but apparently he did think they were dominating:

😀 I can't even...

I guess Berhalter wasn't entirely wrong that USA carried the play until the first Netherlands goal... a whole 9 minutes into the match.

Canada dominated for longer against Croatia.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Australia did nothing of note until they scored. They were only in the match for 20 minutes but nearly made it count.

Considering that Australia got to Qatar by winning a repechage against Peru, they were over achievers to get to the round of 16.

Good to see France score. Poland was playing some very boring and turtling football (but of course, that is the best formation and strategy for Poland against a better side than them).  This should force Poland to open up and take more risks in the second half, which is good for entertainment.

About turtling and defensive football that depends on the quick counter attack, maybe this is something Canada should have done, especially against Croatia.  Turtling and defensive football with quick counter attacks is how Greece won the European Cup with a much less talented team.

Edited by football_world

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm not watching France either.

I'm not finding the knock out stage very compelling.

But I don't know if its because following Canada has sapped my emotional energy for the entire event now.

I will probably hate watch England later on though 

Edited by narduch

54 minutes ago, narduch said:

I'm not finding the knock out stage very compelling.

But I don't know if its because following Canada has sapped my emotional energy for the entire event now.

I will probably hate watch England later on though 

Well, notwithstanding some U.S. dominance, it has been pretty one-sided so far. Hopefully Senegal can make England sweat at least.

It's looking to me like the Gods are trying to give us a Portugal Argentina final.  Ronaldo v Messi. I don't think that it's reasonable to have their careers come down to this, however it would be exceptional theatre. 

35 minutes ago, RJB said:

It's looking to me like the Gods are trying to give us a Portugal Argentina final.  Ronaldo v Messi. I don't think that it's reasonable to have their careers come down to this, however it would be exceptional theatre. 

Some would say "Gods" is an overly kind term for the forces at work.  😉

15 hours ago, jonovision said:

True, but Canada's first half hour against Morocco was almost embarrassing, while Australia was sound defensively. I'd like to be encouraged by what happened subsequently, but I feel that Morocco just took its foot off the gas.

15 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

I think the two games were similar, because it felt when the Dutch wanted to break down the US defenders, they did it with ease, just like Croatia did with us.

This was an elimination game, so they took less risks than Croatia did with us. This US match could of easily been 5-1, if they didn't play conservatively.

Good point. Then again, if the US had actually scored the go-ahead goal, they could have played more conservatively and not get picked apart as Canada did.

I'd say that Canada's loss against Croatia was more like Australia's loss against France in the group stage. And Croatia is definitely not as good a team as France...

9 minutes ago, football_world said:

In hindsight, the US drawing England, and even the US controlling much of the game against England, was a huge accomplishment, seeing how England is ripping apart Senegal now in the Ro16.

The US certainly has a better midfield than Senegal in my opinion. Turnovers there is what turned this game.

England needed/needs to find confidence against halfway decent sides. Southgate needs to trust the fact that he has some very good  midfielders.  Though Henderson for Mount was a change that I give credit to him for making. 

Dier on - reason for Senegal hope.

That England performance was probably the most smooth and professional of the entire World Cup, they clicked perfectly. 

I admit, though I am not an England fan, that I liked this group at the last Euro, mostly because of the youth, helped by the lack of bombast. It's a very balanced side and has depth, they play as a real team, very coordinated, and are spirited. 

While France would be slight favourite, it could go either way. Kane is going to have do a little more, the only top player yet to really make his mark.

Went to a pub here in Calgary to watch the England game with my best friend who was raised in Oxford. They didn't have to sweat too much in this match. He usually watches games with his 80 yr old Caribbean mom but she chose church over footy today. Ran into Kevin McKenna's brother too, who I talked to many times 20 years ago with the Calgary Storm. Nobody recognizes me anymore since I went back to my hippy roots lol.