Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

13 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

The Dutch looked a lot like Croatia against us, they knew exactly what to do to break them down.

Yeah, the top teams in the World Cup got players at all the big clubs.  Those individual players are simply more accurate, have better vision, etc. Their passes are at the right height and right spot and find the right player, and once the pass finds the player, the player can finish it.

We'll get there one day.  Just gotta keep building on what we have now.

An interesting match, the Dutch obviously played it about right allowing the US some  possession which they didn't do a lot with and being clinical when they got chances of their own! I'm glad to see the US knocked out, it will be interesting to see the reaction as I am sure they figured they were going to win the tournament! 😀 

1 minute ago, football_world said:

Yeah, the top teams in the World Cup got players at all the big clubs.  Those individual players are simply more accurate, have better vision, etc. Their passes are at the right height and right spot and find the right player, and once the pass finds the player, the player can finish it.

We'll get there one day.  Just gotta keep building on what we have now.

This also a huge factor that works in the favour of European teams: 

Only bright spot for CONCACAF was one team getting to the next round otherwise a very poor showing for our region . The one thing I kept seeing and hearing even from soccer fans that are Canadian but not die hard Canada fans was how weak a region we have. So Canada making it to the World Cup was no biggie because of our region. However, I would love to see some of these European countries deal with qualifying in this region I wouldn’t be surprised if it would not be an easy run for them. However, the next World Cup this whole region needs to do better along with Canada of course to try and change the perception a lot of people even here in Canada have of CONCACAF.  Right now really can’t argue too much with people who think this region is very weak unfortunately based on the performances of the CONCACAF countries at this World Cup.

Honestly despite defense lapses the thing you notice when playing against top teams is the clinical shooting ability.

Like Dumfries was totally open on the 3rd goal but in all honestly how many players from US and Canada make that shot instead of missing/fumbling?

Similar to the 1st Depay goal. Made it look much easier than it is.

Croatia was similar...ripped open our defense but their shots are beams into the lower corner.

19 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Dumfries was the best Dutch player at the Euros as well and he scored consistently at RWB. Got the move to Inter and is probably the reason Dest opted for the US.  According to @Obinna he actually had a cap for a Caribbean minnow (can't remember which one) several yrs ago!

Two in fact, both friendlies against Guam in March of 2014. 89' and 90' with one goal. 

Almost the same scenario Argentina GK Martinez to deal with a weak back pass as Borjan did, he simply hoof the ball to the safe side to give away an opponent throw in. Simple and safe, I hope Borjan is watching this game.

ps. Australian GK showed an perfect example when not doing simple and safe.

GK is the last one to guard, they should always keep in mind their every gamble could cost a goal.

Edited by lamptern

7 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Only bright spot for CONCACAF was one team getting to the next round otherwise a very poor showing for our region . The one thing I kept seeing and hearing even from soccer fans that are Canadian but not die hard Canada fans was how weak a region we have. So Canada making it to the World Cup was no biggie because of our region. However, I would love to see some of these European countries deal with qualifying in this region I wouldn’t be surprised if it would not be an easy run for them. However, the next World Cup this whole region needs to do better along with Canada of course to try and change the perception a lot of people even here in Canada have of CONCACAF.  Right now really can’t argue too much with people who think this region is very weak unfortunately based on the performances of the CONCACAF countries at this World Cup.

But you'll probably never really be able to change the perception that the region is weak, based simply on the size/population/economy of most of it.  Even when Costa Rica advanced to the quarterfinals at the World Cup, it was viewed as a great Cinderella story but I don't know if it changed the perception of the region.

12 hours ago, SoccMan said:

You just have to look at the very top of CONCACAF , The confediration is been run so poor for decades . We got the worst refs . the most controversey, Our main Tournament The Gold Cup is a joke only catering to certain teams . And it matters on the field it shows  when they play against Asian, and European Opponants .