Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

Am I correct in thinking that the officiating crew we got stuck with for the Belgium match have not been seen or heard from again in this tournament?

(I wish I could say the same thing for some of these commercials TSN shows every single break, like the President’s Choice appetizers one which I am sick to death of)

6 minutes ago, jonovision said:

One has to ask how French football, which has a relatively unfancied first division, can develop the reigning world champions, in addition to developing a good portion of the player pool for Morocco, Tunisia, and Senegal.

Lack of money often means you develop your own instead of bringing in "better" foreigners.

47 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Serbia would be at home in concacaf. 

Yeah, Serbia reminded me a lot of Canada in this World Cup. Weak defense means you are going home early, it is that simple. 9 teams allowed 5 or more goals total in the group stage, all going home, not one of them finished ahead of a single team that was able to keep the goals against to 4 or less.

Sure, Tunisia proves you need some offense as well, but still, if there is one key mission between now and 2026, we have to find a combination of players and tactics that will keep the ball out of our net against top opposition (and still allow us to make use of our attacking talent).

The one positive is that our xga was only in the neighbourhood of 4, so were a bit unlucky/poor goaltending (compare to Serbia with xga of over 7), but still.

Edited by 74 Whitecap
4 or less, not 3 or less for the teams that didn't get bounced

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Cameroon score late against Brazil, goal scorer is sent off for taking his shirt off while celebrating as he was already on a yellow 

So there was a moment when another Swiss goal would have put them even with Brazil on GD, but ahead of Brazil on the total goals tie-breaker. Or another Cameroon goal vs Brazil. 

Going the other way, I think, a Serbia win would have sent Cameroon through, unless Serbia had won by a lot of goals. And they were up at the half. So at that moment Cameroon needed to score to take advantage of it. But it was close, so Cameroon taking cards like that, could have been a risk move in case going to the third tie-breaker criteria, discipline.

5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Am I correct in thinking that the officiating crew we got stuck with for the Belgium match have not been seen or heard from again in this tournament?

(I wish I could say the same thing for some of these commercials TSN shows every single break, like the President’s Choice appetizers one which I am sick to death of)

You are correct. I've been keeping an eye on that as well. I knew the Referee hadn't been assigned to any other group stage matches, but I don't see AR 1 or AR 2 anywhere else either.

9 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Cameroon score late against Brazil, goal scorer is sent off for taking his shirt off while celebrating as he was already on a yellow 

Is there a stupider card?  And when you're on a yellow already!  Leave your damn shirt on! (Imagine if they went through and he was unavailable)