Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

We talk about how disappointing our World Cup is, Germany has a single win in the last two world cups, and will have been sent home in group stage for the second year in a row. Humiliating for them and Spain if these results hold.

Germany is my favourite soccer powerhouse, so I would’ve probably followed them through the knockouts.

47 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

So Japan beats Spain and Germany, and loses to Costa Rica - that might just be the most improbable set of group stage results by one team in the history of the World Cup.

Costa Rica and Uruguay advanced from a group that included Italy and England.  In 2014 or 2010, cant recall

Edited by Free kick

Starting with the final whistle: all those serious faces and the non-celebration from Spain was the best bit of ensemble cast acting I've seen since Reservoir Dogs--or maybe Stop Making Sense. The only team to qualify so far that did not celebrate on the pitch, not with the fans, not amongst themselves visibly. It is extremely hard to grin from ear to ear in your head and keep your face straight.

But you just drew Morocco in R16 and not Croatia; and just avoided a quarter final vs. Brazil, with Portugal more likely; and wouldn't see Argentina in semis, but France or England. A genius loss.

Then the interviews, expert self-flagellation, not a smile. You are telling me that the loss to Japan was worse than going through the group? Luis Enrique, whew, whew, whew.

Then the fans, bewildered thinking they were out; then trying to do the same as the Spain players and staff, sitting there quietly, nonplussed, watching the Japanese celebrate madly. But all of them making their plans for a few more weeks, with their studied notary public demeanours.

Thing is, hard to argue they could have been that astute, since there were about 3-4 minutes where Spain was out of the World Cup, when Costa Rica went up. Then Germany saved them by drawing it almost immediately, but another CR goal would have put Spain on the back home. Really only the German 3rd made it seem safe, but still Spain hemmed Japan in the whole time, the Japanese fans half-prayed, half-laughed their butts off. Spain moved it around, made a few stabs, only Dani Olmo playing hard as hell to score (and my son "Olmo is so fucking stupid!!", to which I reminded him that Olmo was Catalan too). The most skilled simulacrum of an all out attack with no intention of scoring in the history of the World Cup (just making that up).

I went on to the German newspapers, I appreciate they are blaming themselves. So naive. All they needed was a Spain goal to go through, as they had the GD with Japan. What were they thinking?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Starting with the final whistle: all those serious faces and the non-celebration from Spain was the best bit of ensemble cast acting I've seen since Reservoir Dogs--or maybe Stop Making Sense. The only team to qualify so far that did not celebrate on the pitch, not with the fans, not amongst themselves visibly. It is extremely hard to grin from ear to ear in your head and keep your face straight.

But you just drew Morocco in R16 and not Croatia; and just avoided a quarter final vs. Brazil, with Portugal more likely; and wouldn't see Argentina in semis, but France or England. A genius loss.

Then the interviews, expert self-flagellation, not a smile. You are telling me that the loss to Japan was worse than going through the group? Luis Enrique, whew, whew, whew.

Then the fans, bewildered thinking they were out; then trying to do the same as the Spain players and staff, sitting there quietly, nonplussed, watching the Japanese celebrate madly. But all of them making their plans for a few more weeks, with their studied notary public demeanours.

Thing is, hard to argue they could have been that astute, since there were about 3-4 minutes where Spain was out of the World Cup, when Costa Rica went up. Then Germany saved them by drawing it almost immediately, but another CR goal would have put Spain on the back home. Really only the German 3rd made it seem safe, but still Spain hemmed Japan in the whole time, the Japanese fans half-prayed, half-laughed their butts off. Spain moved it around, made a few stabs, only Dani Olmo playing hard as hell to score (and my son "Olmo is so fucking stupid!!", to which I reminded him that Olmo was Catalan too). The most skilled simulacrum of an all out attack with no intention of scoring in the history of the World Cup (just making that up).

I went on to the German newspapers, I appreciate they are blaming themselves. So naive. All they needed was a Spain goal to go through, as they had the GD with Japan. What were they thinking?

I am glad I am not the only one who thinks this works out extremely well for Spain. Get rid of Germany and avoid Croatia. It did remind me a bit of West Germany losing to East Germany in 1974 which gave the East Germans a much tougher group for the second round.

Not a lot of fun to be had today with no chance of Portugal being knocked out. 

Is there any set of results that could give us Portugal-Brazil? I'd love to see how fast all the flags and jerseys get swapped in my neighborhood if Brazil won such a matchup.

Edited by jonovision

I am surprised at the number of teams who got four points and were still eliminated.  Six teams in fact and maybe even seven by the end of the day.  Yet here I was thinking that all we would need to advance would be 4 points (i.e.; a draw versus either Cro or Bel and a win against Mor).  

Edited by Free kick