Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

That was interesting how it was coming down to cards between Mexico and Poland. That puts you at the whim of the character of whatever ref you get.

Then, that even with the Saudi goal, Mexico still just needed one more, they would have tied on goal difference but gone through on total scored. So really, oddly, the Saudi goal didn't matter, they still had to score 3.

I'm glad they're out, though really Poland were poor tonight. Argentina were much better, they're growing into the competition.

Even going back to WCQ,  i saw bad misses (Ball sails over the bar or ball hits the wall) on direct free kicks far too often.  No real swerve on the balls.   I know we got a goal in Edmonton but that was not a direct FK and that could be chaulked up to shoddy defending that you wont see often at the WC. 

Edited by Free kick

40 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't think many squads would include many players capable of the quality you are suggesting is necessary.

There are and have been some good ones even in MLS.  Unfortunately none of them are Canadian.  Some Canadians, like Dero,  have scored on some of the best free kick i ever saw.  But never, to my recollection, while wearing the Maple leaf. 

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

There are and have been some good ones even in MLS.  Unfortunately none of them are Canadian.  Some Canadians, like Dero,  have scored on some of the best free kick i ever saw.  But never, to my recollection, while wearing the Maple leaf. 

Marcel De Jong had some beauties for Canada

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Brennan had one nice one for TFC. The supporter song was based off it.

5 hours ago, Free kick said:

Mexico break their streak of reaching the R16 at the WC’s 

However, a glass ceiling:  they only have ever gone to the QF when they hosted under the old (1986) and really old (1970, when they had El Salavdor in their group) formats.  The US only ever made it to the QF after beating them in the R16 in 2002 (with the Frings handball marring the US's eventual elimination), though Tim Howard's heroics almost won the R16 game vs Belgium in 2014 only for Wondo to miss the winner at the end of regulation.

It's a new era and a new CMNT, so I look forward to beating them some in the coming years.

Eff 'em!