Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

14 minutes ago, Harambasa said:

And completely not true.

U can draw today and beat Morroco with 1 goal difference and easily be 3rd...

I was being sarcastic. If after today we tie with Croatia that means Croatia is at 2 points and Belgium at 3.

So a tie in that CRO-BEL game would put BEL at 4 points with -1 goal diff. 

If we tie CRO and beat MOR by 1 goal we'd have 4 points with 0 goal diff?

Correct me if I'm wrong?

ie

Morocco 4 pts +1 GD

Canada 4 pts 0 GD

Belgium 4 pts -1GD

Croatia 3 pts 0GD

Edited by mpg_29

I know anything goes when it comes to CONCACAF, and the more outlandish it is, the less surprising it should be, but I'm still shaking my head that of the 4 CONCACAF nations, Costa Rica is the one with a win so far. 😂

Edited by Neil R.

10 minutes ago, Neil R. said:

I know anything goes when it comes to CONCACAF, and the more outlandish it is, the less surprising it should be, but I still can't believe our region's only victory so far has come from Costa Rica. 😂

as with all WC groups, forever, the analysis is incomplete until all 3 matches are finished.  I think Mexico has a Pot 4 matchup left?  US a pot 3?  Canada a pot 3.  and Costa Rica a pot 2, and arguably the very best of pot 2. 

That being said, Los Ticos deserve our respect.  Every match is just about playing what's placed in front of you, and no result thus far has surprised me overmuch.  

Good luck to all the CONCACAF squads, it provides better measuring sticks when the teams you play often succeed.

Spain-Germany, some say that was a high-level match, the Spanish commentators said it was one of the best in the WC. I don't think so.

Certainly the level of the teams merits the commentary, but it was not that entertaining, both teams had limitations. Spain did not seem to be playing that urgently, Germany lined up to destroy the Spain midfield, especially shadowing Busquets the whole time. 

Germany were so thrilled with the draw, they were not even pressing hard for the win late, they were managing the point. Spain woke up a bit but were not at their limit either. 

Germany goal was made easier by a marking error by Balde, who had just come on.

Belgium cities burned after the marroquies made a riot and a confrontation with police,  some cars were destroyed by molotovs bombs,  way to celebrate.  

On the other hand The Cameroon's are doing a Canada  had an early lead didn't slow the tempo and close gaps gave the dominion to the opposition, and now are1-3

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Anyone else not enjoying this WC as much anymore? These two games today have been wild but it's hitting different.

Yes, still gonna watch but it's more like watching the champions league or something. That extra special charge is gone with Canda eliminated.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Anyone else not enjoying this WC as much anymore? These two games today have been wild but it's hitting different.

Definitely.  This was a huge emotional investment and football is a little hollow today.  And that's having a ready made second team and always a hope that after that someone new and/or outside South America or Europe wins it

Cheering for Paqueta today though. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

23 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Yes, still gonna watch but it's more like watching the champions league or something. That extra special charge is gone with Canda eliminated.

Hate the politics and massive amoral corruption around it all, but love the event itself.  I watch as much as I am able, even if now I don't have a dog in the hunt.  Call it my four year addiction (ditto the Euros).  

I have seen some great matches in CL but for me there is always something missing there, mostly because of obscenely rich ownerships paying top dollar for teams of international hired guns who could change clubs when the price is right the following year.  With the World Cup you only have one team option and one shot at it every for years.  To me, that is a special element, even as a (relative) neutral enjoying the matches.