Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

15 minutes ago, rkomar said:

Huh.  I figured that the first place team in each group would go through into a predetermined bracket in the round of 16.  I didn't think there would be any room for manipulation.  Were they thinking of having a round of 32 where the top two teams go through?

They are still considering this.  There was no footballing reason to increase to 48 teams. 

Now things are definitely interesting in Group B heading into final matchday

Because Iran have 3 points after beating Wales and England of course have 3 points; USA have 1 point and Wales also have 1 point

But then if USA beats England, then that gives them 4 points while England would still be on 3 points

Then heading into final match day, Wales would have to beat England and hope USA draw with Iran but then all 3 teams would have 4 points and it would go down to goal difference

But then if USA draw with England, that gives them 2 points heading into Matchday 3 where they would have to beat Iran and hope Wales lose or draw with England to go through 

Then for Iran with them winning today, they essentially would have to beat USA or draw with them and hope Wales lose to England to go through 

4 minutes ago, RJB said:

They are still considering this.  There was no footballing reason to increase to 48 teams. 

I think because of money and revenue but also expansion was talked about for years before Infantino was ever President. It is just that they finally decided to pull the trigger on it but it was always discussed.

14 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

Here’s my feelings on the England- US game.

DEBC6D02-E469-49C6-BA8D-A728A07888F9.jpeg

Me too. 

Funny how you don't know what team you dislike more until you start watching. 

Watching the TSN feed on an illegal stream, I love how they mention the mother of the line cook working in the kitchen making the salads for the American contingent once had an uncle who played for England briefly and is fondly remembered at Bramall Lane. That really enhances my viewing experience and makes me want the US to score, which doesn't make sense.

This U.S. - England game is a tough one.

On the one hand, I don't think I'm physically capable of cheering for England or the U.S. in any sporting event of any kind (nicely done above, Strait Red).

But on the other hand, the more the U.S. can go toe-to-toe with England, the more it reinforces that Canada can do the same with the world heavyweights, and it wasn't just that Belgium was old or flat or caught off-guard in our first match.

So far England looks like they were thinking they could come in and win the game solely due to the fact that they are England...

Why doesn't England have a gold star above their crest to signify their 1966 World Cup win? I think they're the only one of the World Cup winning teams that doesn't use those stars. Maybe they're feeling guilty about their goal in extra time of the final match that didn't actually cross the goal line?

Edited by Treppy2
spelling

For a 0 - 0 game, it's actually quite entertaining.  I'd say the US has had the better play and the better chances - their counter attack is quick, and they've done well cycling the ball down low too.  If nothing else, I think their quality (and of course ours) has been a bit of an eyeopener for Europe so far - as in, North America is capable of producing some athletic/attractive football.

I think both England coming into this after Iran, and maybe Spain after their blowout, will get to see if they are really good or not with this second match. 

It's probably better to not get carried away with having had a poor rival first fixture.

England looks a bit cagey and cautious. They really don't need to pour it on until late, they are managing the game well.