Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

If Canada had a player like Messi, it would have made a huge difference against Croatia.  Not saying we would have beat Croatia even if we had Messi, we may have still lost 4 goals, and maybe only scored 2 or 3 goals.  But still, having someone like Messi on the field to confuse the Croatian defense, and break down the Croatian defense, is something that we don't have at the moment.

If Croatia sticks to the script, they could chip away at it.  Argentina can't switch off like they did vs Holland.

As an aside, two of the three largest supporter groups in the Cancùn resort where I stayed last week were Argentine and Croatian.  The potential for booze fueled dumbass stupidity by these tourists seemed pretty high in the viewing theatre.  I wonder if the local authorities upped the "securidad" with a more camo clad and weaponized presence?

37 minutes ago, football_world said:

If Canada had a player like Messi, it would have made a huge difference against Croatia.  Not saying we would have beat Croatia even if we had Messi, we may have still lost 4 goals, and maybe only scored 2 or 3 goals.  But still, having someone like Messi on the field to confuse the Croatian defense, and break down the Croatian defense, is something that we don't have at the moment.

I'm going to have to agree that having Messi on the pitch would be helpful for Canada. I was on the fence, but that last goal settles it!

I guess Croatia left it all on the pitch against Brazil, pretty feeble display today.

3 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

I'm going to have to agree that having Messi on the pitch would be helpful for Canada. I was on the fence, but that last goal settles it!

I guess Croatia left it all on the pitch against Brazil, pretty feeble display today.

Both their elimination round games had to go to spot shots but so what, they're out.  Terrible defending today, frankly:  the young CB I like just got schooled by an all-time great.  Argentina effed him.  Now on to tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

With our forward depth, who does he knock out? Not sure he has an automatic spot.

21 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

I assume you are being sarcastic, but there are actually people in the Canada vs Croatia thread that thought it was largely Herdman's fault that Canada lost. I'm of the opinion that unless Herdman or any other coach had played a "bunker" strategy, no coach, no matter how good they are, could have really found a way to beat Croatia with the talent that Canada has, playing a non bunker strategy (or not a very defensive strategy). I don't think Canada can beat the top European teams yet (unless a top European team plays way below their potential, a.k.a "Belgium").  Hope we get the talent one day, but we're not there yet.  Still really proud of our boys for making the World Cup though and giving it all they have.

Edited by football_world

7 minutes ago, football_world said:

I assume you are being sarcastic, but there are actually people in the Canada vs Croatia thread that thought it was largely Herdman's fault that Canada lost. I'm of the opinion that unless Herdman or any other coach had played a "bunker" strategy, no coach, no matter how good they are, could have really found a way to beat Croatia with the talent that Canada has, playing a non bunker strategy (or a very defensive strategy). I don't think Canada can beat the top European teams yet (unless a top European team plays way below their potential, a.k.a "Belgium").  Hope we get the talent one day, but we're not there yet.  Still really proud of our boys for making the World Cup though and giving it all they have.

I wasn't meaning to poke fun, so much as just commenting on Messi's remarkable performance today. I certainly agree that the talent wasn't there against Croatia, especially with Staq hurt and Hutch on tired legs.  It is both talent and depth - in a one off game our chances are better since we can press and have a high work rate and use all our best 11, but in a tournament, you need more strength/depth, especially if you don't go the Morocco/counter-attack route.  But for all that, we should have been bunkering against Croatia, especially after we scored.

Even Brazil should have been bunkering (edit: in the 2nd half of extra time) against Croatia, instead of giving up an odd man rush with 5 minutes left.

Edited by 74 Whitecap

Just now, 74 Whitecap said:

I wasn't meaning to poke fun, so much as just commenting on Messi's remarkable performance today. I certainly agree that the talent wasn't there against Croatia, especially with Staq hurt and Hutch on tired legs.  It is both talent and depth - in a one off game our chances are better since we can press and have a high work rate and use all our best 11, but in a tournament, you need more strength/depth, especially if you don't go the Morocco/counter-attack route.  But for all that, we should have been bunkering against Croatia, especially after we scored.

Even Brazil should have been bunkering against Croatia, instead of giving up an odd man rush with 5 minutes left.

Ahh, alright. Haha, I read your tone wrong.

Yup, I totally agree with you!