Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

24 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Makes the CMNT look a bit better I guess.

yes,  I guess.   two teams from group F make it to Semis.   But you can look at it another way.  Games like this or stories like this years Morocco team occur at every WC.   You play mistake free and capitalize, advance out of your group, end up in favourable side of the bracket, sit back waiting for chances, get to face a team  that is unsettled, win a few PK shoot out...ect.  Next thing you know, you are in semis.  it doesnt imply anything about a change in the game or change in African or Arab nations soccer.   But world feed broadcast announcers are making sound more profound than it really is.  Morrocco are a good team, yes.   But there is nothing new here nor in the way they won.   They could just as well go into the next continental tournament and get eliminated early and nobody would be surprised.   Unlike when a Germany or Brazil is eliminated early

Edited by Free kick

On 12/6/2022 at 12:37 PM, Treppy2 said:

Canada scored more goals against Morocco than Belgium, Spain and Croatia combined.

ETA: Including Spain's shootout attempts!

Updating my earlier post: Canada has now scored more goals against Morocco than Belgium, Spain, Croatia and Portugal combined.

What a crazy tournament.

Edited by Treppy2

5 minutes ago, The Pessimist said:

...Japan fans were the same. Repeating the same chant over and over throughout the entire game. Don't know how a monotonous chant like that was supposed inspire their team.

It did leave me wondering what the Danny Dichio angle was. It's the kind of stuff baseball fans have traditionally done in Japan would be my take having lived there for seven years. I remember there being more variety on the songs at Vegalta Sendai games I occasionally used to go to, so surprised it got that monotonous in a soccer context.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I was going to make the post that France-Morocco would be an interesting matchup as I was under the impression that one-third of the Morocco team was France-born and eligible. But their Europe born contingent (more than half the team) is fairly evenly spread between Spain, France, Netherlands, and Belgium.

Still the matchup I'm hoping to see, of course.

I know Ronaldo can be a bit polarizing but I find the panel’s treatment of him is pretty unfair.  He came on today, had a great opportunity to tie the game, set up Joao Felix for a golden chance, was inches away from multiple headers where the cross were just a bit off, etc.  They gush over Messi yet never seem to give Ronaldo the benefit of the doubt.  Interesting to see.  

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know Ronaldo can be a bit polarizing but I find the panel’s treatment of him is pretty unfair.  He came on today, had a great opportunity to tie the game, set up Joao Felix for a golden chance, was inches away from multiple headers where the cross were just a bit off, etc.  They gush over Messi yet never seem to give Ronaldo the benefit of the doubt.  Interesting to see.  

I think his attitude for club and country, recently, contribute to it. 

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I think his attitude for club and country, recently, contribute to it. 

I get it.  But that doesn’t change the facts about how he played today.   He was effective in the push for an equalizer.  No need to pretend otherwise just because he is a primadonna.   

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I get it.  But that doesn’t change the facts about how he played today.   He was effective in the push for an equalizer.  No need to pretend otherwise just because he is a primadonna.   

Was he among the 3 or 4 biggest difference makers for Portugal in the second half today? Not for me. He got close to a few headers but some of those were chances that a younger Ronaldo, a great header of the ball, would have finished. They had a segment acknowledging his many achievements, but it's not wrong to also point out that he is a diminished force (in a way that Messi, in this tournament at least, is not).

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Was he among the 3 or 4 biggest difference makers for Portugal in the second half today? Not for me. He got close to a few headers but some of those were chances that a younger Ronaldo, a great header of the ball, would have finished. They had a segment acknowledging his many achievements, but it's not wrong to also point out that he is a diminished force (in a way that Messi, in this tournament at least, is not).

This as well, if you compare Messi's contribution in an eventual win yesterday to his in a loss - whatever the circumstances - they are found lacking.