Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

10 hours ago, jonovision said:

Hope not. I'd rather not see the Croatian style of football in another final.

It'd be amazing if they could redeem themselves, making a final and winning.

I like these long story arcs. I especially like that one where England won once, back when Harold Wilson was prime minister, and then they never win again, now that's a great story!

England football does enjoy some rent-free accommodation year after year with some people.

I used to tell the English they flattered themselves thinking the world hated them because they used to be the big thing.  Nobody cared anymore, they were old news.

I guess at least in football terms I am sort of wrong.

Morocco and England wins for me today.

Argentina - England would be a classic final.

Just to confirm, I checked and Brazil have now lost every knockout round match against a European opponent since they last win the World Cup. In 2006 they beat Ghana in the round of 16 before losing to France, in 2010 they beat Chile before losing to Holland, in 2014 they beat Chile and then Colombia before getting smashed by Germany, in 2018 beat Mexico then lost to Belgium and now beat South Korea and lose to Croatia 

That is quite the pattern, especially since every tournament the pundits tell us that Brazil is the greatest thing since sliced bread and are going to win the whole thing. They have beaten European sides in the group stages during this time but have faltered when they come up against one of the tougher ones after the group stage. 

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Just to confirm, I checked and Brazil have now lost every knockout round match against a European opponent since they last win the World Cup. In 2006 they beat Ghana in the round of 16 before losing to France, in 2010 they beat Chile before losing to Holland, in 2014 they beat Chile and then Colombia before getting smashed by Germany, in 2018 beat Mexico then lost to Belgium and now beat South Korea and lose to Croatia 

That is quite the pattern, especially since every tournament the pundits tell us that Brazil is the greatest thing since sliced bread and are going to win the whole thing. They have beaten European sides in the group stages during this time but have faltered when they come up against one of the tougher ones after the group stage. 

The reductive answer is they need some steel along with the flair. 

Watching their manager dance with them while beating Korea in the round of 16, is a maybe fun for a neutral but surely throws up some warning signs for actual fans of that team.  Players having some fun is one thing but the manager has to be voice that says you've won nothing yet.   

48 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

No Aguerd and Mazraoui for Morocco. No Aguerd imo is too big to overcome surely their run stops here

It's a good test of whether their defensive record is a product of their system and team commitment to it, or the talent. You'd tend to think both and that they can't keep another clean sheet without those two, but the team is full of belief at the moment, so, like I say, a good test.

5 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

It's a good test of whether their defensive record is a product of their system and team commitment to it, or the talent. You'd tend to think both and that they can't keep another clean sheet without those two, but the team is full of belief at the moment, so, like I say, a good test.

Seems to be working so far..

If that was a goal scored against Canada, I'd have a hard time deciding whether to write a post crapping on the keeper or the defender.

Edited by jonovision