Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

Just now, Cicero said:

During the group stage I thought the gap was closing between the traditional powers and the rest of the field...nope.

I think if anything, it has gotten worse over the past decade or two. Maybe not so much the talent difference, but the ability of top teams to consistently/easily get results vs. lower ranked teams. I think the advent of a pressing style has benefited the top teams in 2 ways:

1) Harder to bunker and counter-attack for weaker sides, more likely that the true talent can show itself

2) Increased emphasis on depth due to the amount of running now required in a tournament. France, England Brazil were all able to coast/rest for long stretches of the first round, and that greater rest level showed in the knockout stage.

I had to laugh on the first goal, the last words of the commentator were, "Vinicius Jr in space" and I thought to myself,  'what comes next after you hear that phrase isn't likely to be good for the opposition', and sure enough, it wasn't.

I think we're about ready for the 'stop, he's already dead' meme in this one...

1 hour ago, football_world said:

Just stopped watching the Brazil vs South Korea match. The winner was decided relatively quick. 

Missed some cracking goals.  Have to admire being able to just have fun out there and nice to see Paqueta add one. 

Croatia and then a good matchup; especially with who's left on that side of the bracket, love to see them in final. 

Morocco the only hope left for a non-European/South American side and hopefully will face England. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Spain and Portugal will conclude a boring (results) round of 16 with wins tomorrow. I haven't known who to root for in this tournament, as all my underdog picks are out.  But now I know that an Argentina-Portugal final would be an unbeatable way to end an era, and so I pick them now. 

11 hours ago, Cicero said:

5 of 6 R16 games not really competitive, brutal. In 2018 all except Brazil-Mexico were tightly contested, and even that one wasn't totally dusted until late.

Expanding to 48 teams doesn't look so clever against that backdrop but I guess they need to try to get China and India in regularly to maximize the commercial possibilities down the road.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

32 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Expanding to 48 teams doesn't look so clever against that backdrop but I guess they need to try to get China and India in regularly to maximize the commercial possibilities down the road.

Might need to expand to 64 teams to get China in and 96 teams to get India in.

Going by the results for this year's qualification, the 16 extra teams would not be that lucrative:

UEFA: Ukraine, Sweden, North Macedonia
CONMEBOL: Peru, Colombia
CAF: Egypt, Algeria, Nigeria, Mali
AFC: UAE, Oman
CONCACAF: Panama, Jamaica
OFC: New Zealand
Two of: Chile, DR Congo, Iraq, El Salvador, Honduras, Solomon Islands

Assuming Chile and Iraq get through the playoffs (they currently have the highest ELO ranking), the pots would be (per live FIFA ranking):

Groups of 3

Pot 1 (Top 16 countries minus Italy, not qualified, plus Canada, hosts)
Hosts: USA (12), Mexico (14), Canada (53)
UEFA: BEL (3), ENG (4), FRA (5), NED (6), ESP (8), POR (9), CRO (10), SUI (11), GER (13)
CONMEBOL: BRA (1), ARG (2), URU (15)
CAF: MAR (16)

Pot 2 (17-32, all qualified)
UEFA: DEN (18), POL (22), SWE (23), UKR (26), WAL (28), SRB (30)
CONMEBOL: COL (17), PER (21), CHL (31)
CAF: SEN (19), TUN (29)
AFC: JPN (20), IRN (24), KOR (25), AUS (27)
CONCACAF: CRC (32)

Pot 3
UEFA: MKD (66)
CONMEBOL: ECU (41)
CAF: CMR (33), NGA (35), ALG (38), EGY (40), MLI (45), GHA (58)
AFC: KSA (48), QAT (60), IRQ (68), UAE (70), OMA (75)
CONCACAF: PAN (61), JAM (64)
OFC: NZL (105)

Groups of 4

Pot 1 (Top 10 countries minus Italy, not qualified, plus 3 hosts)
Hosts: USA (12), Mexico (14), Canada (53)
UEFA: BEL (3), ENG (4), FRA (5), NED (6), ESP (8), POR (9), CRO (10)
CONMEBOL: BRA (1), ARG (2)

Pot 2 (11-24, all qualified, minus USA and Mexico)
UEFA: SUI (11), GER (13), DEN (18), POL (22), SWE (23)
CONMEBOL: URU (15), COL (17), PER (21)
CAF: MAR (16), SEN (19)
AFC: JPN (20), IRN (24)

Pot 3 (25-40 minus AUT, RUS, HUN, CZE, not qualified)
UEFA: UKR (26), WAL (28), SRB (30)
CONMEBOL: CHL (31)
CAF: TUN (29), CMR (33), NGA (35), ALG (38), EGY (40)
AFC: KOR (25), AUS (27)
CONCACAF: CRC (32)

Pot 4
UEFA: MKD (66)
CONMEBOL: ECU (41)
CAF: MLI (45), GHA (58)
AFC: KSA (48), QAT (60), IRQ (68), UAE (70), OMA (75)
CONCACAF: PAN (61), JAM (64)
OFC: NZL (105)

Incidentally, in the live rankings, Belgium will relinquish its spot as the top-ranked European team to the winner of England v France. Morocco would pass Uruguay, Mexico and Germany with a win against Spain (Uruguay and Mexico only if PK), while Switzerland would pass Croatia and Portugal with a (non-PK) win against Portugal.

6 hours ago, RJB said:

Spain and Portugal will conclude a boring (results) round of 16 with wins tomorrow. I haven't known who to root for in this tournament, as all my underdog picks are out.  But now I know that an Argentina-Portugal final would be an unbeatable way to end an era, and so I pick them now. 

Argentina/Australia and Netherlands/USA were some pretty good games. I think this World Cup has been pretty good on the field, and the knockout stage, where things traditionally take a hit in quality due to obvious reasons, has remained exciting and offensive. 

17 hours ago, Cicero said:

During the group stage I thought the gap was closing between the traditional powers and the rest of the field...nope.

Talent wise I think the gap is closing and the group stage is evidence of that with Korea beating Portugal and Japan upsetting both Germany and Spain. The "gap" still exists when it comes to doing the "little things", such as positioning, off the ball running, decision making, finishing chances, you can tell teams like Senegal, Canada, USA, Japan still need to learn these "little things" that the traditional powers from Europe and South America have known for decades. This largely comes down to coaching and changing the FA from the top. Well, Japan and Korea have the positioning, movements and decision making down well, they just need to work on their cutting edge. However, the CONCACAF and African teams need to work on everything despite having the individual talent. 

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

Argentina/Australia and Netherlands/USA were some pretty good games. I think this World Cup has been pretty good on the field, and the knockout stage, where things traditionally take a hit in quality due to obvious reasons, has remained exciting and offensive.

Yes, the games have been fun to watch, but the R16 results have been a bit predictable. It happens, I'm not complaining, just observing. 

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

My heart over head picks for today.

Morocco over Spain 

Switzerland beat Portugal.

I can see Switzerland beating Portugal, Ronaldo is definitely going through issues, I think he can't handle that he is not the same player he was before. 

You can't defeat father time.