Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

Finally, an even match in the round of 16. Both teams look tired at this point.

The more you see Croatia play, the more you shake your head about our game plan vs. them. Much like the U.S., they really struggle to break down an organized defense. Lucky for them, they had one game against a team without an organized defense, and they took advantage to get 3 points.

1 hour ago, SoCalTransport said:

Everytime I watch Japan, I hit myself, because I know this could be us.

Costa Rica beat Japan we have to remember.

How so...??

Maybe you have to remember Japan beat Germany and Spain 

What does it all mean?!?!  Nothing...nothing at all

It's why they play the games 

As a neutral fan, like in this game, once it goes to penalties, I just turn the game off and look up who won later, I just find them boring.

As if the ref said, both teams flip a coin 5 times, and whoever gets more heads wins. If you're invested, then you care about who wins, but in terms of entertainment value, I don't see it.

Maybe someday, they will have the kicks for a shootout taken from outside the 18 yard box, then we might see some real skill at least.

4 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

As a neutral fan, like in this game, once it goes to penalties, I just turn the game off and look up who won later, I just find them boring.

As if the ref said, both teams flip a coin 5 times, and whoever gets more heads wins. If you're invested, then you care about who wins, but in terms of entertainment value, I don't see it.

Maybe someday, they will have the kicks for a shootout taken from outside the 18 yard box, then we might see some real skill at least.

I would love it if they changed the rules such that it's 9 vs 9 in extra time.  2 players have to be removed from each side, not counting the goalie of course. By reducing each side by 2 players, meaning a total of 4 players are taken off the field, that would give way more space, and the chance of a goal happening in extra time goes up immensely.  Doubt FIFA will ever do that, but it would be awesome if they did.

1 minute ago, football_world said:

I would love it if they changed the rules such that it's 9 vs 9 in extra time.  2 players have to be removed from each side, not counting the goalie of course. By reducing each side by 2 players, meaning a total of 4 players are taken off the field, that would give way more space, and the chance of a goal happening in extra time goes up immensely.  Doubt FIFA will ever do that, but it would be awesome if they did.

Does the NHL still do 4v4 in overtime? It's been so long since I've watched. Does it/did it result in more goals? Or would you just have eight guys in the box and no one waiting for the outlet pass?

1 minute ago, football_world said:

Yes, that would be even better, but I felt like taking the kicks from outside the 18 is more probable to be adopted, but who am I kidding, FIFA will never change anything, it's been this way forever

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Does the NHL still do 4v4 in overtime? It's been so long since I've watched. Does it/did it result in more goals? Or would you just have eight guys in the box and no one waiting for the outlet pass?

I don't really follow the NHL much, but I did a quick check and 3vs3 leads to more overtime goals than 4vs4: https://www.nhl.com/news/new-3-on-3-ot-expected-to-entertain-affect-strategy/c-780375

I think the NHL reduced it to 4vs4 in the first place, because when it was 5vs5 in overtime in the NHL in the old days without a shootout, there were some super long overtime games in the NHL playoffs: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/longest-overtime-games-nhl-playoff-history/xdgk6x1mg875orf1lfg3cams.

Reducing players in hockey, soccer, etc, just leads to more goals because there is more space.

1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Bring back The NASL style shootout:

I have this memory, from so far back I'm not even sure it really happened, but my friend's family brought me to Toronto with them for a Blizzard game and Ace Ntsoelengoe (had to look that up!) chipped the keeper on a breakaway penalty shot.

It would be better than the current set-up yes, but the breakaway penalty kick always seemed a bit odd to me, I think it works better in hockey when the attacker can come in with more speed.

22 minutes ago, football_world said:

I would love it if they changed the rules such that it's 9 vs 9 in extra time.  

I'd also like to see the keeper being unable to use his hands during extra time. I don't think you'd ever see the game go past extra time, there'd be lots of shots and the rest of the game would be pretty much the same. No one has ever agreed with my idea though 😞

30 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Pick a corner, or the middle, and hit it hard, no one will blame you if the keeper stops it. This dancing followed by half-assed shots just seems so silly.

If the ball goes in because the keeper guessed the wrong way, the commentators always say that was a really well-taken penalty. If the exact same shot doesn't go in because the keeper guessed the right way, they say it was a really poor penalty. Drives me nuts.

8 minutes ago, rightback said:

If the ball goes in because the keeper guessed the wrong way, the commentators always say that was a really well-taken penalty. If the exact same shot doesn't go in because the keeper guessed the right way, they say it was a really poor penalty. Drives me nuts.

It's true, but commentators are dumb in a lot of ways. Even if a guy does nothing else all game but taps in a gimme or two after his teammates set him up beautifully, he's the 'man of the match' and they'll rave about him, but nary a word about the guys that make him look good.