Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

So the US has to win outright against Iran to get out of the group.  That should be a heated game - and Iran’s result against Wales may limit some of the US swagger.   Will be interesting.  

Unless Wales pulls a result out against England and then it comes down to goal difference

I get on purely pragmatic ground why Southgate wants to play that way, but I think that really screws with the rhythm of the team going forward against more difficult opponents. They played not to lose, but with the firepower they have it looked almost cowardly. I know he likes to play tournament football like the 90s New Jersey Devils but goddamn that was a flat performance even by their standards. Watching Maguire and Stones pass the ball to each other, take two or three touches and look down field as if they were going to hit a killer pass, and then inevitably give it back to the other guy was like watching paint dry. The US have a lot to be positive about, but their attacking lacks a sharp point, kind of like ours looked against Belgium.

Edited by Lansdude

6 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I am watching this on Fox so I get the Doritos commercials on a perpetual loop.  Someone should do a meme of Beckham wearing an "I ❤ Qatar!" button.

So he is reportedly getting £150 million to "Shill (for) Qatar!"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/18/will-david-beckham-qatar-role-kill-his-brand-world-cup

37 minutes ago, narduch said:

Australia currently beating Tunisia 1-0 in the early match

The Tunisian embassy in Ottawa is a couple of blocks from house and the only embassy I've seen that has any indication their country is participating in the World Cup. There's a nice poster with a few of the players hanging from the building. The Ghanaian embassy is across the street, and there's nothing there that's World Cup-related. Ditto for the German embassy I went by earlier this week.

Still cheering against Tunisia though, because someone from the embassy always parks their car illegally and blocks the bike lane on O'Connor Street, and the car never gets ticketed or towed because it has diplomatic plates.

Tunisia1.jpg

Tunisia2.jpg