Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

6 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

That was bull shit...it is bull shit absolute bull shit CR7 fake penalty

It wasn't a good penalty call but I think it was the ref making up for a call he made with regards to a similar challenge Ronaldo made on a defender in the first half where he scored. That one also should not have been ruled a foul so 🤷 it makes up for it I guess.

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I don’t think the second goal matters too much for the US because Iran is still at minus 2 and in any case, Iran and the US can’t be level on points going into their final match. 

USA only way through is probably going to be by beating Iran outright.

I'm not expecting them to beat England today

7 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I don’t think the second goal matters too much for the US because Iran is still at minus 2 and in any case, Iran and the US can’t be level on points going into their final match. 

I thought for sure for some reason than Iran are on 4 points. My mistake

It's an entertaining group when you have these extra story lines enhancing the rivarlries. Not saying Wales - Iran that much, not explicitly, but enough.

Good lesson is to stay in games late and not panic, as you never know how things may play out. The feeling in our match with 90 seconds left in stoppage time was the same, that we could still draw it.

Mind you, had to post, the fact that the Iranian players are clearly and boldy siding with the people of Iran is certainly another fact and one to be admired:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/24/iranian-footballer-voria-ghafouri-arrested-ahead-of-wales-match-world-cup

Wales essentially shot themselves in the foot in the last few minutes but now USA vs England is pretty much a must win game for the Americans. But even with a draw against England, USA would pretty much have to beat Iran in their last game and Wales would either have to lose or draw with England for them to get through 

5 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Wales essentially shot themselves in the foot in the last few minutes but now USA vs England is pretty much a must win game for the Americans. But even with a draw against England, USA would pretty much have to beat Iran in their last game and Wales would either have to lose or draw with England for them to get through 

I don’t think there’s a world that Wales beats England in so a USA win vs Iran is plenty. Wales have looked absolutely awful in 3 of 4 halfs so far.

48 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Put us in USA's spot and we easily qualify from that group

Missed opportunities in Costa Rica and Panama. No guarantees Pot 3 would have made our path easier, but it would have stacked the deck more in our favour. Hopefully FIFA doesn’t try to back out of seeding all three hosts in ‘26.

6 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Missed opportunities in Costa Rica and Panama. No guarantees Pot 3 would have made our path easier, but it would have stacked the deck more in our favour. Hopefully FIFA doesn’t try to back out of seeding all three hosts in ‘26.

There is supposed to be 16 groups. Plenty of room for 3 host 1st seeds