Canada vs Japan - Thursday, November 17th - 8:40am EST / 5:40am Pacific - Al Maktoum Stadium, Dubai, The United Arab Emirates

Unfortunate we can't field our best starting XI (sans Davies), but if Miller is not ready to go vs Japan, hopefully Cornelius starts.  Gotta see what some of the backups can do vs high profile opponents. These injuries during training sessions, Henry & now Staq, are concerning. Hope Staq pulling out of practice is just precautionary

19 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

What's funny is that they all basically repeat each other. Right or wrong the level of analysis is superficial and facile.

We could collectively do a podcast where we all take turns reading the posts here.  

"Today on Canadian Soccer News, we are going to have a look at what is being posted over in the covid thread."

38 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Thanks, but overall this is a pretty poor analysis of Japan.  He basically just looks at the guys with lots of caps and says "Look out for xxxx".  He thinks Yoshida is the key to their defense (and he is a big part of it), but then he names Sakai as also key - but Sakai is a fullback.  The real key is their two other CB's - Itakura (Gladbach) and Tomiyasu (Arsenal).

Then he says Minamino is Japan's "goal-scoring machine" but Minamino has hardly played over the last year, and there's a good chance he won't play much in the World Cup either.  I mean, I get that research on other teams isn't easy, but just a little googling on these guys can go a long way towards being semi-informed vs. being basically clueless...

14 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Thanks, but overall this is a pretty poor analysis of Japan.  He basically just looks at the guys with lots of caps and says "Look out for xxxx".  He thinks Yoshida is the key to their defense (and he is a big part of it), but then he names Sakai as also key - but Sakai is a fullback.  The real key is their two other CB's - Itakura (Gladbach) and Tomiyasu (Arsenal).

Then he says Minamino is Japan's "goal-scoring machine" but Minamino has hardly played over the last year, and there's a good chance he won't play much in the World Cup either.  I mean, I get that research on other teams isn't easy, but just a little googling on these guys can go a long way towards being semi-informed vs. being basically clueless...

Yup. I've accepted it's nearly impossible to get a good report on another team from one of your own. Always look for an opponent's journalist.

Edited by PiedPilko

4 minutes ago, Joe Keeper said:

OneSoccer is still not archiving recent mens or womens national team games. Does anyone know if this game will be available to watch anywhere online after the live broadcast tomorrow morning?

I dont know anything about NHK.

I am interested as well, I'm thinking it is more likely to be posted on YouTube, I won't know the score of the match as I am playing hockey, it's not like any of my hockey bros will be checking the score on their phones and spoiling it for me!

2 hours ago, cornerkick said:

some reports / articles from Japan:

https://www.soccerdigestweb.com/news/detail/id=120501

Sounds like Herdman admires the Japan NT, based on the translation. 

I skimmed this with CC...two reporters (?) in Qatar who are speculating on how Japan will setup for the game

That's exactly what it is.  And my Japanese is weak, but yes, I can say that they are doing a lot of guessing as to the personnel and formations.  They do mention that some key players are out - Tomiyasu at CB, Mitoma at LW, Endo and Morita at MF.  So their speculative lineup is:

Asano

Kubo              Kamada           Ito

Tanaka         Shibasaki

Nagatomo Yoshida   Itakura    Sakai

Gonda (GK)

If I were to grade this lineup, I'd say it's a C+ to B for them - it's definitely missing their best players at midfield. and one could argue Asano should be out and instead Mitoma or Doan draw into the forwards.  Tomiyasu is arguably their best CB too.  Having said that, it's still a very formidable group especially on the attacking side.  But who knows if this is really how they'll lineup...

19 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I wonder why Furuhashi and Haraguchi aren't part of the Japanese team? The Japanese forwards don't blow me away, and Furuhashi in particular looks like he is on good form, with 10(!) goals in 13 league games for Celtic.

Because Moriyasu's a moron.  He plays his favourites.  Someone I worked with last year was almost at the point that he wanted Japan to not qualify just so Moriyasu would get the sack.

11 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

All I really wa let to see from this game is 90 minutes of Onesoccer working perfectly. No lags, no Japenese feed, no "sorry we are experiencing technical difficulties". We could get blown out and that would still be a win in my books.

There’s really no excuse at this stage.