Canada vs Japan - Thursday, November 17th - 8:40am EST / 5:40am Pacific - Al Maktoum Stadium, Dubai, The United Arab Emirates

8 hours ago, GasPed said:

Agree we need a dress rehearsal, but thinking of Japan as a step down from Belgium is probably not the right mindset - as in, Japan is a very formidable team in their own right.  In my opinion they are squarely in that tier of teams that you need to gameplan for or you risk getting embarrassed (as the US found out).  Now I'm ok with saying whatever - we are going to setup and play as if it was a Croatia/Belgium game and try out the tactics, and let the chips fall wherever, but we need to be prepared for a less than optimal result then.  In the case of the USMNT, they stubbornly stuck with "we'll play out of the back thru Adams and McKennie" in spite of clear early indications that it wouldn't work, and Japan ate it up and rammed it right back down their gullets (a bit graphic, but you get the point).  Final was 2 - 0, but it could easily have been 4 or 5 - 0.  Point is, realistic expectations - we can work on tactics for the Group stage or we can try to get a result, but we might not be able to achieve both - at least not against a team this good.

Not dissing them, they are a very good team, have consistently high quality from back to front and are very well coached. It's just a matter of fact that Belgium is the better team and that's the opponent we're preparing for, so I want to form up the way we're going to against them and get the practice reps in against Japan. That's all I mean. I don't think anyone should expect us to dominate Japan, and in a way it's a good thing if we don't.

I think a better way to look at this other than Japan is a step down from Belgium, it’s more like Japan is the second best team we’ve ever faced (after Uruguay) in this generation, and the last time we played a veritable world class side, we had an encouraging 2-0 loss, so putting our best foot forward and getting a result against Japan would be massive for us. 

I think I like the idea of Kone as a super sub that comes on in the second half. I think his energy will be really effective against a team that’s already been worn down a bit.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Why would you take things out of context here to shout out Sinclair? Of course she is the Canadian leader - there's no disrespect! Men's and Women's international footy is apples to oranges in regards to caps. 

Not making a comparison, just being specific with language. Why the hell are you making a comparison, specifically?

(Slow day in Canadian Soccerville. Let the infighting begin!)

Ah, now I get it!  No, I am not trying to take away anything from Atiba here. Not even close.  I've been a fan of his since I first saw him play for us as a teen in the U21 championships. (He was our youngest player, by a fair margin, but our best even then.) Huge respect for him and I want him to get this 100th cap and to play well at Qatar. 

I was just trying to be accurate, nothing more. 

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

In 2018 R16, Japan were tied 2-2 with Belgium until the last play in extra time when Chadli scored the winner. Japan led 2-0 at the 68'. This is an excellent opponent to prepare for Belgium. In particular how our defenders perform.

Belgium were very much on the ropes in that game until they realized that playing with Japan was not the answer - using the wings to cross to Lukaku and Fellaini was.  This version of Japan is a little different - in fact I would argue they're actually better than the 2018 team - even more technically/tactically proficient and better physically, though they lack the star power of a Kagawa or Honda.  That said, their weaknesses are still the same - their goalkeeping and overall physicality.  But if they play the way they can, they will be a handful not only for us but for any team in the tournament.  

21 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Even if Davies says he's good to go, I wouldn't play him. Extra week to heal and not showing Belgium all of our cards. Late sub at most.

Nah don’t even bother. He’s match fit so there’s just no reason.

It’s also intriguing to see what we do without him. We only have one left footed wide player in the squad now - I had kinda thought Edwards/Corbeanu might make it just for that reason. 

It is a friendly after all, so just the first half with everyone together including the guys who are coming back from being out is an option. I agree about scouting, Belgium will be interested of course but it's not like we're going to be a mystery to them either way, so a proper tuneup is the priority.

fwiw, this is just one writer's opinion, but according to him, Japan is going to be a very rigid, well organized team....not so much on the creative / attacking flair side

https://www.theasiangame.net/moriyasu-springs-world-cup-selection-surprise/

maybe the manager feels this gives them the best change of advancing in a group with Germany and Spain.  he was an assistant to the Japan NT in the 2018 world cup...perhaps they would have played very differently vs Belgium had he been the guy in charge

Edited by cornerkick

12 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

fwiw, this is just one writer's opinion, but according to him, Japan is going to be a very rigid, well organized team....not so much on the creative / attacking flair side

maybe the manager feels this gives them the best change of advancing in a group with Germany and Spain.  he was an assistant to the Japan NT in the 2018 world cup...perhaps they would have played very differently vs Belgium had he been the guy in charge

They have a well-coordinated, high energy press and pass through the middle very well, it's going to be a great test.

4 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

The Japanese spanked the Yanks in their recent friendly. This is going to be an excellent warm up. We'll have to be sharp, technical, and smart. I can't wait!

I watched most of that game.  They spanked the US.  They are a solid test.  I can't imagine either team going truly full out though.  No one wants to get hurt days before the world cup. 

12 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

I'm no expert, but I follow Japan a bit, and I can't quite agree with this author.  Well, I do agree that the manager (Moriyasu) is the weak link - in particular, his set-ups and personnel choices (e.g. his omission of Furuhashi and Hatate from Celtic in this team) are just baffling.  But this idea that Japan will play with no creativity is just wrong.  Yes, they'll be well-structured defensively - they have to be if they want a chance of winning - but on offense, they will be creative just because that's how they are hardwired as players - it's been bred and trained into every academy player in Japan over the last 20 years.

Guys like Mitoma, Doan, Kubo, Junya Ito - pacy, fantastic dribblers with a knack for finding the right pass.  Kamada scores goals for fun - like Larin, he always shows up at the right place/time; unlike Larin, he actually plays for his club (Eintracht Frankfurt).  In the midfield, Morita and Endo pull the strings very intelligently.  And while I think the addition of the Celtic players would've added even more, overall, it's not the offense of Japan that's an issue - it's the defense.  That said, this year's club has probably the best CB corps I've ever seen for Japan.  It really is a good team.  (Though they still won't make it out of their group. ☹️)

29 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I'm no expert, but I follow Japan a bit, and I can't quite agree with this author.  Well, I do agree that the manager (Moriyasu) is the weak link - in particular, his set-ups and personnel choices (e.g. his omission of Furuhashi and Hatate from Celtic in this team) are just baffling.  But this idea that Japan will play with no creativity is just wrong.  Yes, they'll be well-structured defensively - they have to be if they want a chance of winning - but on offense, they will be creative just because that's how they are hardwired as players - it's been bred and trained into every academy player in Japan over the last 20 years.

Guys like Mitoma, Doan, Kubo, Junya Ito - pacy, fantastic dribblers with a knack for finding the right pass.  Kamada scores goals for fun - like Larin, he always shows up at the right place/time; unlike Larin, he actually plays for his club (Eintracht Frankfurt).  In the midfield, Morita and Endo pull the strings very intelligently.  And while I think the addition of the Celtic players would've added even more, overall, it's not the offense of Japan that's an issue - it's the defense.  That said, this year's club has probably the best CB corps I've ever seen for Japan.  It really is a good team.  (Though they still won't make it out of their group. ☹️)

yeah, not including Furuhashi is surprising to me...the guy was scoring goals every week for Celtic

and yup, one person's interpretation of a team and what actually happens on the pitch can be two very different things...