Canada vs Japan - Thursday, November 17th - 8:40am EST / 5:40am Pacific - Al Maktoum Stadium, Dubai, The United Arab Emirates

On 11/17/2022 at 9:21 PM, vancanman said:

Because Moriyasu's a moron.  He plays his favourites.  Someone I worked with last year was almost at the point that he wanted Japan to not qualify just so Moriyasu would get the sack.

Weird.  Just by chance, I ran into that guy on my lunch hour.  He was a little grumpy about the result, but he and every other Japanese person I've talked to about the game were praising Canada's performance, rather than complaining about Japan's.

Edited by vancanman

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We're a university now😇 

Perhaps you know the work of Brian Jungen, who first became known doing Coast Salish mask forms with Air Jordans.

Yes, that's right, I forgot.  Everything in Vancouver beyond grade four became a university a couple of years ago.

No, I don't know Brian Jungen, but a couple of other gems from Emily Carr in the 80's:  

A urinal just sitting on the floor

A blank canvas, titled "Blank Canvas."

6 hours ago, vancanman said:

Yes, that's right, I forgot.  Everything in Vancouver beyond grade four became a university a couple of years ago.

No, I don't know Brian Jungen, but a couple of other gems from Emily Carr in the 80's:  

A urinal just sitting on the floor

A blank canvas, titled "Blank Canvas."

Have to give it to you, in your art history Duchamp's urinal (1917) was done in the 80s at Emily Carr, and Malevich's monochrome paintings, also the 1910s, were also invented at Emily Carr. Did you also see that silly painting of a lady dressed in black with an enigmatic smile? Or a highly original and senseless depiction of a guy nailed to a cross, looking unperturbed?

All of those were originally done at Emily Carr, proving your point.

I've taugh there for 14 years, but I was completly unaware that Emily Carr University is the best art school in history.

38 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Have to give it to you, in your art history Duchamp's urinal (1917) was done in the 80s at Emily Carr, and Malevich's monochrome paintings, also the 1910s, were also invented at Emily Carr. Did you also see that silly painting of a lady dressed in black with an enigmatic smile? Or a highly original and senseless depiction of a guy nailed to a cross, looking unperturbed?

I've taugh there for 14 years, but I was completly unaware that Emily Carr University is the best art school in history.

Did you know Ron Burnett?

I've avoided responding to your posts before, and this is why.  

I dated a girl who went to Emily Carr, and at the time, one student did the urinal, and another did the blank canvas.  Two students at Emily Carr lacked originality, but instead of just pointing that out, you go after me.  

It's a shame.  I agree with you a lot of the time, and you have a lot of useful information, but I don't come here for this sort of thing.  

If you'd like to dial that back a tad, I can engage in conversation.  Otherwise, I can carry on as I have been with you in the past, or I can use the 'ignore' feature.  It's up to you.

Have a nice day.

"It is only the intellectually lost who ever argue."

1 hour ago, vancanman said:

I've avoided responding to your posts before, and this is why.  

I dated a girl who went to Emily Carr, and at the time, one student did the urinal, and another did the blank canvas.  Two students at Emily Carr lacked originality, but instead of just pointing that out, you go after me.  

It's a shame.  I agree with you a lot of the time, and you have a lot of useful information, but I don't come here for this sort of thing.  

If you'd like to dial that back a tad, I can engage in conversation.  Otherwise, I can carry on as I have been with you in the past, or I can use the 'ignore' feature.  It's up to you.

Have a nice day.

"It is only the intellectually lost who ever argue."

You came out full frontal insulting artists, because you refused to contextualise what they were doing and why. Then you decided you would insult Emily Carr as an institution. Then denigrating it as a university, saying anything over grade 4 can be called that. 

This is all after I clearly indicated, and in friendly fashion, in half a line and with an emoji, that I worked there. Meaning you were directly trying to insult me.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Did you know Ron Burnett?

Yes, but not well. Why? 

Ron is not involved in the day-to-day and has not been for a few years now, he has a post-president position which I'm not sure how to define.

Last World Cup, since it was mid morn or midday in Vancouver, my dean and few other profs, mostly women notably, organised screenings of every match they could, either in the board room or a large classroom. 

I only teach there sessionally in summers.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yes, but not well. Why? 

Ron is not involved in the day-to-day and has not been for a few years now, he has a post-president position which I'm not sure how to define.

Your mention of Emily Carr University had me google it and on Wikipedia I saw he was a professor there.

I attended a few cinema courses he gave at Vanier College in Montreal years and years ago.  The few degrees of separation between people never ceases to amaze me.

Just now, Sal333 said:

Your mention of Emily Carr University had me google it and on Wikipedia I saw he was a professor there.

I attended a few cinema courses he gave at Vanier College in Montreal years and years ago.  The few degrees of separation between people never ceases to amaze me.

He may be teaching and I am mistaken, I somehow thought he had a post-presidency research post of sorts. 

I teach in art and design history and theory, which is what I do in Spain as well.

You came out full frontal insulting artists, because you refused to contextualise what they were doing and why. Then you decided you would insult Emily Carr as an institution. Then denigrating it as a university, saying anything over grade 4 can be called that. 

This is all after I clearly indicated, and in friendly fashion, in half a line and with an emoji, that I worked there. Meaning you were directly trying to insult me.

I didn't insult artists.   I expressed my opinion about their "art."

I didn't insult Emily Carr at all.  I think Emily Carr should be a university.  My comment was about every college in town becoming a university overnight, and was not directed at Emily Carr specifically.  I can see how that could have been taken the wrong way.

I never insulted you, and I never insulted Emily Carr.  My comments were about the work of two students at Emily Carr and a bunch of colleges becoming universities.  That's it.  

On 11/17/2022 at 12:39 PM, mpg_29 said:

That wasn't my takeaway from this match...Cavallini seemed more involved and was making better runs than Larin...who seemed invisible. 

I agree. I just don't see Larin not being Herdman's next choice after David. If we play two strikers, which is a possibility, then Cav probably plays. I thought at the time we might just go with Davies and David up front.