Canada vs Japan - Thursday, November 17th - 8:40am EST / 5:40am Pacific - Al Maktoum Stadium, Dubai, The United Arab Emirates

20 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I have not watched them more than once, from my memory but I think Yashida does make a diffence in their set-piece defence and Tomiyasu usually plays centre back for his country including against the States. 

Indeed Yoshida and Tomiyasu make a huge difference in set pieces (as in, having a set-piece defense vs. not having one at all).  Set pieces and crosses into the box have always been a key weakness of Japan (understandably). 

1 hour ago, vancanman said:

What? Where? When?  ...and how did I miss this?  Who's this Thogden character?

Popular UK youtuber who gets to play video games with Jordyn Huitema and sit in the stands with Chiesa when he's injured, among other things. He has a unique and engaging format with a father/son duo that comment on everything, but as entertaining as they are, it's quite clear that they don't watch any soccer outside of the EPL and the Champions League.

They did another video where they picked most underrated player from each team and they both chose Eustaquio, despite embarrassingly misspelling his name. They have heard of him this year thanks to this CL exploits for Porto, if was still playing for Pacos they'd have no clue about him for sure.

58 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Oh boy, you’re in for a treat!  There’s still time to delete this before you get bombarded with responses.

I just got picked apart by fellow V’s when I said Japan put out a very different squad vs the US 😂 

I was the one who got the ball rolling there, although completely unintentionally.   I'm sorry it ended up like that.

28 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Popular UK youtuber who gets to play video games with Jordyn Huitema and sit in the stands with Chiesa when he's injured, among other things. He has a unique and engaging format with a father/son duo that comment on everything, but as entertaining as they are, it's quite clear that they don't watch any soccer outside of the EPL and the Champions League.

They did another video where they picked most underrated player from each team and they both chose Eustaquio, despite embarrassingly misspelling his name. They have heard of him this year thanks to this CL exploits for Porto, if was still playing for Pacos they'd have no clue about him for sure.

Ah yes, I know of these two clowns.  They're interesting at first, but watching these guys, who don't seem to work for a living, prance all over Europe showing off all the matches they get to go to gets a bit old pretty quickly.  

32 minutes ago, vancanman said:

I was the one who got the ball rolling there, although completely unintentionally.   I'm sorry it ended up like that.

Not a problem at all.  A lot of us had adrenaline and excitement after the big victory today and I can see how people may have thought I was minimizing our win (without our two most influential players). 👊

Edited by Corazon

8 minutes ago, wallflower said:

Cornelius can play any backline position reasonably well. He is the most versatile defender we have.

Not as a LB in a back four.  He was put in the there once, albeit in an emergency role, for the Caps.  At least Miller had a semi-regular stint there for Orlando.

I think the onesoccer crew's predictions as to who is going to get Canada's first yellow are off - none of them said Vitoria. I could see him being suspended for the Morocco match (ie. he picks up a yellow in each of the first two matches, even with us catching a break with Lukaku missing our match). The tricky thing there is that Atiba would most likely be the guy who plays at the back instead, and is also a guy that you don't expect will start 3 matches in a row at his age. If you don't start Atiba against Croatia to give his legs a rest, who goes in next to Eustaquio? On the basis of the last two matches against WC-calibre opposition, I don't think it should be Piette.

13 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think the onesoccer crew's predictions as to who is going to get Canada's first yellow are off - none of them said Vitoria. I could see him being suspended for the Morocco match (ie. he picks up a yellow in each of the first two matches, even with us catching a break with Lukaku missing our match). The tricky thing there is that Atiba would most likely be the guy who plays at the back instead, and is also a guy that you don't expect will start 3 matches in a row at his age. If you don't start Atiba against Croatia to give his legs a rest, who goes in next to Eustaquio? On the basis of the last two matches against WC-calibre opposition, I don't think it should be Piette.

Yeah, Vitoria is my worry as well.  Not for a rash challenge or losing his temper - just for the tactical (but obvious yellow) challenge or consistent small fouls.  He probably would have had one today if the ref was in charge of a more serious match.  Throw in his lack of pace and a pull back is probably necessary at some point.  

11 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, Vitoria is my worry as well.  Not for a rash challenge or losing his temper - just for the tactical (but obvious yellow) challenge or consistent small fouls.  He probably would have had one today if the ref was in charge of a more serious match.  Throw in his lack of pace and a pull back is probably necessary at some point.  

That midfield shirt pull to stop the counter today was a yellow. It's also what enabled us, perhaps, to get deep with a chance to win. The real problem is that other guys aren't sure about doing that stuff. If Vitoria was clear his teammates would do it, he wouldn't have to.

The tactical yellows must be shared around, everyone on the same page. 

Miller seems like a great team guy and he's going to get better but his lack of pace and ability to deal with aerial passes is going to be an issue. I can think of 3 goals where those shortcomings have been evident. The Panama goal at home, the Panama goal away and the goal today which was similar to the away Panama goal in terms of the pass delivery. He's also got to watch going into tackles. He gave up the free kick vs Uruguay which resulted in a goal and was close to  another sliding tackle in the first half. Perhaps he needs to calm down a bit and play more conservatively. If it was Henry out there in Kamal's place... you know the rest

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Miller seems like a great team guy and he's going to get better but his lack of pace and ability to deal with aerial passes is going to be an issue. I can think of 3 goals where those shortcomings have been evident. The Panama goal at home, the Panama goal away and the goal today which was similar to the away Panama goal in terms of the pass delivery. He's also got to watch going into tackles. He gave up the free kick vs Uruguay which resulted in a goal and was close to  another sliding tackle in the first half. Perhaps he needs to calm down a bit and play more conservatively. If it was Henry out there in Kamal's place... you know the rest

His reading of the ball that led to the goal was really weak. He's a very salient player so he's going to stand out in most matches, good or bad. That's a trait that Doneil shares, as well...

One minor gripe - when we do have a distinct advantage over a team on set pieces (which, admittedly, is rare), I would rather see us pump balls into the box on a free kick to try and capitalize on this rather than have Sam Adekugbe try for a wonder strike from 35 yards out. The percentages on scoring on the former was probably significantly greater.

12 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

One minor gripe - when we do have a distinct advantage over a team on set pieces (which, admittedly, is rare), I would rather see us pump balls into the box on a free kick to try and capitalize on this rather than have Sam Adekugbe try for a wonder strike from 35 yards out. The percentages on scoring on the former was probably significantly greater.

Good one, I saw that too. On that play, as well, Vitoria was at the far post with a body language like "I'm invisible", and he wasn't being marked closely at all. Despite having scored on the far post a bit earlier. That worked a few times for us in qualifying as well, our ball to the far post. So i was also hoping for that cross, not the shot.

Still, it is like any tactical edge you might have, you can't always do it since the opposition catches on. The mid can't always be looking for a pass at the top of the box--sometimes you have to shoot--, the winger can't always reach the end line and cross--turn in too--, you have to mix it up. That is a key bit of strategy for us on our set pieces and we don't want Belgium to be putting a heavy body on Vitoria at the far post from the first minute.

Japan fouled us quite a bit, I wonder what the stats were on fouls. The seemed to need to take us down quite often to control us.

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Some hilarious banter on the TSN panel today as the rest of the team chide Ricketts about the fact that Cavallini just moved past him on the all-time Canada scoring charts:

https://www.tsn.ca/fifa-world-cup/video/victory-over-japan-will-give-canada-confidence-ahead-of-world-cu~2565336

"Only available in Canada."   I'll have to take your word for it that people at TSN were actually talking about soccer.

58 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Japan Falls to the Canadian "Panenkazo"

The Spanish press seems to like the Panenka in the last minute of extra time, they are calling it a "Great Panenka"

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/mundial/20221117/1001896160/1-2-japon-rival-espana-sucumbe-panenkazo-canada.html

As Panenka's go, it was hardly worthy of a place in the Louvre, was it?

3 minutes ago, vancanman said:

"Only available in Canada."   I'll have to take your word for it that people at TSN were actually talking about soccer.

I have a well known VPN and it doesn’t work with TSN often.  It’s something those of us going to Qatar will face if we look for coverage.