Canada vs Japan - Thursday, November 17th - 8:40am EST / 5:40am Pacific - Al Maktoum Stadium, Dubai, The United Arab Emirates

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

Best news of the day.

it is awesome that Kloke is there is there to witness and report.

what a game, Canada could not have had a much better result heading into their WC matches.  no doubts now, they CAN play and win outside of CONCACAF.  and this result without Eustaquio?  wow.

Edited by eramosat

Just now, sebdeserio said:

IMO we play Davies-David-Buchanan up top and play Hoilett as a roaming attacking mid in front of Eustaquio and Atiba.

I think that may eventually happen, but not in this tourney.  I think Buchanon stays as the RWB.  Laryea takes over the attacking wing sub role I originally tagged for Hoillet.  Larin's poaching come into play in the last 20 minutes

10 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

IMO we play Davies-David-Buchanan up top and play Hoilett as a roaming attacking mid in front of Eustaquio and Atiba.

There you go. That leaves Laryea as a super sub coming in later. Hoillet gives us more stability at the back, if Tajon is further up he can let his defensive responsibilities slip a bit and think about getting past his defender.

1 hour ago, PastPros said:

I believe Herdman was yelling for David to take the penalty. When they were setting up, he was clearly screaming "Johnny! Johnny!"

Which is why Pantemis, Atiba and Johnston were teasing him after it went in.

Yeah, i thought so too. But your mouth actually makes basically the same movement for both names when you're animated. 

I wouldn't shocked if the team kind of gave him the penalty because this was his big moment for the World Cup tour. It's very likely we only play David and Larin. 

They are a lot of very inappropriate metaphors for what I think will happen to our midfield if we go with too many attacking players.

Hoilett is still an amazing super sub for me. 

Davies and David up front with Davies given the license to roam (that is not the same thing as do it all himself.)

Adkegube and Buchanan as wingbacks and Osorio, Eustaquio and Hutch in the midfiield.

Hoilett could come in for Osorio and keep the formation.  He could come in for him or another midfielder and replace Tajon making it a 343, if we need a goal. 

No Davies, he plays behind the striker.

17 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Teams will struggle with that pace on the wings, and this might be a good way to get Hoillett on the pitch. I'm not sure how he'll fair in the middle of the pitch but he's a responsible and intelligent player. I'd be willing to play him slightly out of position in order to get him on the field for set pieces. We look far more dangerous with him taking them

3 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Teams will struggle with that pace on the wings, and this might be a good way to get Hoillett on the pitch. I'm not sure how he'll fair in the middle of the pitch but he's a responsible and intelligent player. I'd be willing to play him slightly out of position in order to get him on the field for set pieces. We look far more dangerous with him taking them

He has played there before and I think it works but having those 4 attacking players means 2 centre backs and 2 other midfielders. I think we get destroyed in the middle of the park. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

14 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They are a lot of very inappropriate metaphors for what I think will happen to our midfield if we go with too many attacking players.

Hoilett is still an amazing super sub for me. 

Davies and David up front with Davies given the license to roam (that is not the same thing as do it all himself.)

Adkegube and Buchanan as wingbacks and Osorio, Eustaquio and Hutch in the midfiield.

Hoilett could come in for Osorio and keep the formation.  He could come in for him or another midfielder and replace Tajon making it a 343, if we need a goal. 

No Davies, he plays behind the striker.

I don't disagree with anything you said here.  I just think it boils down to whether or not to keep Larin in a two forward starting spot set up with David.

Edited by BearcatSA

8 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Yeah, i thought so too. But your mouth actually makes basically the same movement for both names when you're animated. 

I wouldn't shocked if the team kind of gave him the penalty because this was his big moment for the World Cup tour. It's very likely we only play David and Larin. 

That wasn't my takeaway from this match...Cavallini seemed more involved and was making better runs than Larin...who seemed invisible. 

Haven't watched the game yet (will do it after work), but just looked at the lineups/subs and thought I'd mention that Japan was fielding their "B" team - many of their best players didn't see the field (Morita, Endo, Tomiyasu, J Ito, Maeda) or were subbed on late (Kamada).  That said, their B team is still plenty good, and it sounds like we did well (even missing our two stars) - looking forward to watching it!

6 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Haven't watched the game yet (will do it after work), but just looked at the lineups/subs and thought I'd mention that Japan was fielding their "B" team - many of their best players didn't see the field (Morita, Endo, Tomiyasu, J Ito, Maeda) or were subbed on late (Kamada).  That said, their B team is still plenty good, and it sounds like we did well (even missing our two stars) - looking forward to watching it!

Oh boy, you’re in for a treat!  There’s still time to delete this before you get bombarded with responses.

I just got picked apart by fellow V’s when I said Japan put out a very different squad vs the US 😂 

Edited by Corazon

5 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Oh boy, you’re in for a treat!  There’s still time to delete this before you get bombarded with responses.

I just got picked apart by fellow V’s when I said Japan put out a very different squad vs the US 😂 

I have not watched them more than once, from my memory but I think Yashida does make a diffence in their set-piece defence and Tomiyasu usually plays centre back for his country including against the States. 

Had to watch late, had Zoom meetings all morning. Thoughts:

- Hoilett's deliveries were incredible and he played a great game. Possibly played his way into the starting XI, if not first sub. 

- Laryea looking like the Laryea of old, definitely a super sub to run at tired legs.

- Cavallini mostly useless, got lucky on a poor panenka. Rather see Ugbo come on before him.

- David looking very tricky and slippery, if he had his shooting boots on today he could have done some damage. Looking forward to seeing him this tournament.

- Our back line is is prone to mistakes at this level, to the surprise of no one. It will be a miracle if we're not shipping goals in the tournament proper.

Overall, good performance and great result. Bring on Belgium.

I thought the biggest and most important takeaway should be Atiba looked like Atiba 

I think that's one guy who definitely won't be overwhelmed by the occasion against Belgium and one slip up early and it's all for not. I still think our starting midfield will be Eustaquio, Atiba, Piette.. the most important thing we can do bottom line, period, tattoo it to your forehead...

do not give up a goal in the first 50 minutes

That will determine our entire world cup in my humble opinion

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I thought the biggest and most important takeaway should be Atiba looked like Atiba 

I think that's one guy who definitely won't be overwhelmed by the occasion against Belgium and one slip up early and it's all for not. I still think our starting midfield will be Eustaquio, Atiba, Piette.. the most important thing we can do bottom line, period, tattoo it to your forehead...

do not give up a goal in the first 50 minutes

That will determine our entire world cup in my humble opinion

I didn't see the match but am reading there are many questions about Piette.

1 minute ago, Aird25 said:

I'm pleased to see that so many thought Atiba looked like his usual self. I thought he looked a little off the pace to start the game, but so was I considering it was 5:30 in the morning here

I thought his touch and close control was poor early on but he grew into the game. His fitness never was an issue.

31 minutes ago, Corazon said:

But what are your thoughts about the national anthem?