Canada vs Japan - Thursday, November 17th - 8:40am EST / 5:40am Pacific - Al Maktoum Stadium, Dubai, The United Arab Emirates

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I would not start any player who played significant minutes today given the short rest period in between today and Thursday with a flight in between 

The flight time is probably so short as to be insignificant in the context of load management, though.

We're going to play as close as possible to our starting 11 vs. Belgium. Maybe with a twist or two hidden of those they'll throw at Belgium to surprise them.

Only doubt is Davies, and he'll be able to say if he's ready or not to start.

If he plays 45-60, or subs in late for 20 minutes, that will be all he'll get before Belgium, which at least helps him get game pace back.

I'm worried about Vitoria having to go three full games in the group, so maybe you might want to sub him out at 60, or after 45. 

Apart from that, the starters, or almost. The only doubt I have is at right wingback or mid: Laryea, Tajon or Hoillet. I'd personally prefer Tajon out there, after watching him vs. Atlético he's ready and can play two ways effectively, defense and supporting the attack. So he becomes the right wing and if we get the defensive coverage for him right, he may push up for longer spells.

Borjan

Johnston          Vitória           Miller

Tajon                      Piette                 Adekugbe

Kone                      Eustaquio

David               Davies

If Davies isn't ready, then Larin goes. Hutch could start for Kone, if we feel he needs the minutes, or could sub in, either way.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

This is what I want. Similar to what we played at Azteca (I think).

Thought about Hoilett over Osorio in that CAM role as they're both crafty players who can wriggle out of pressure and Osorio has been out for a while but he looked good against Bahrain and I like his defensive instincts and experience roaming in the middle. Expect him to drop much further back as needed with Eustaqiuo and Kone sliding up and down as well. Piette is our only true #6 and all else being equal should go in but I don't think he can play at the tempo needed against top teams, he looked a bit out of his depth versus Uruguay iirc. So if he isn't going to play Belgium there's no point in putting him in versus Japan.

720107128_lineup(1).png.012a341ee8a3eaa82341c62a8b80a66a.png

50 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We're going to play as close as possible to our starting 11 vs. Belgium. Maybe with a twist or two hidden of those they'll throw at Belgium to surprise them.

Only doubt is Davies, and he'll be able to say if he's ready or not to start.

If he plays 45-60, or subs in late for 20 minutes, that will be all he'll get before Belgium, which at least helps him get game pace back.

I'm worried about Vitoria having to go three full games in the group, so maybe you might want to sub him out at 60, or after 45. 

Apart from that, the starters, or almost. The only doubt I have is at right wingback or mid: Laryea, Tajon or Hoillet. I'd personally prefer Tajon out there, after watching him vs. Atlético he's ready and can play two ways effectively, defense and supporting the attack. So he becomes the right wing and if we get the defensive coverage for him right, he may push up for longer spells.

Borjan

Johnston          Vitória           Miller

Tajon                      Piette                 Adekugbe

Kone                      Eustaquio

David               Davies

If Davies isn't ready, then Larin goes. Hutch could start for Kone, if we feel he needs the minutes, or could sub in, either way.

I wouldn't argue with that line-up.  For the WC, the only question for me is who starts as part of the 3-man mid.  There are a lot of moveable parts that provide flexible options.  Eustaquio is a given.  So really a question of who the other two are.  If Hutch is healthy, he takes the DM spot (with Piette as backup).  If Oso were healthy, I would say he plays the more attacking role.  Kone could be a good option if Oso is not ready to start, but I would guess Hoilett gets the start ahead of him.  He is calm, composed, responsible, smart on and off the ball.  But he also provides flexibility as a first off the bench sub, either in mid or as wingback.  Wotherspoon is a good option on the bench who I expect will get minutes, but I can't see him starting any games.  Kaye and Fraser - I don't think they see the pitch.

Sure thing starter - Eustaquio

Possible starter, sure thing minutes - Hutch, Piette, Oso, Kone, Hoilett

Likely minutes - Wotherspoon

Sure thing bench, unlikely to get minutes - Kaye, Fraser

No, reserve team vs Japan, second half the starting eleven

1 st half

......... .............St clair..........

Layrea Waterman Vitoria  Adekugbe

Miller.   Fraser.  Wotherspoon Hoilett

Ukbe.    Cavallini

Second half 

Larin, Piette, Eustaquio, Buchanan, Cornelius, David, Koné

2 hours ago, Lansdude said:

Thought about Hoilett over Osorio in that CAM role as they're both crafty players who can wriggle out of pressure and Osorio has been out for a while but he looked good against Bahrain and I like his defensive instincts and experience roaming in the middle. Expect him to drop much further back as needed with Eustaqiuo and Kone sliding up and down as well. Piette is our only true #6 and all else being equal should go in but I don't think he can play at the tempo needed against top teams, he looked a bit out of his depth versus Uruguay iirc. So if he isn't going to play Belgium there's no point in putting him in versus Japan.

I think Herdman starts Atiba or Piette instead of Kone in the first match.  I don't see him starting the youngster in the first game of the WC.

I can see him putting in Piette with the sole mission to man mark KDB out of the match.

I like Oso starting and agree he can help with the defensive side.  I think we have to go with a 3 man midfield or else we might get run over without much cover for the CBs.

7 minutes ago, sose said:

I think Herdman starts Atiba or Piette instead of Kone in the first match.  I don't see him starting the youngster in the first game of the WC.

I can see him putting in Piette with the sole mission to man mark KDB out of the match.

I like Oso starting and agree he can help with the defensive side.  I think we have to go with a 3 man midfield or else we might get run over without much cover for the CBs.

Yeah if Hutch is back up to speed it's him over Kone. Interesting idea about Piette, could see that happening.

And yes re: 3 man midfield. We cannot expose our CBs, they'll get turned inside out. This formation is a 4-2-3-1 which is what it'll look like against Japan but in effect against Belgium or Croatia it'll look more like the "Christmas tree" when the other team has the ball which will obviously be most of the match.

5 hours ago, Lansdude said:

I would go with this lineup for the Japan game

4 hours ago, Lansdude said:

Even though Japan is a step down from Belgium, I have to think the formation and probably 9 or 10/11 starting players in this friendly will be what we go with against Belgium. We need a full dry run with little experimentation.

Agree we need a dress rehearsal, but thinking of Japan as a step down from Belgium is probably not the right mindset - as in, Japan is a very formidable team in their own right.  In my opinion they are squarely in that tier of teams that you need to gameplan for or you risk getting embarrassed (as the US found out).  Now I'm ok with saying whatever - we are going to setup and play as if it was a Croatia/Belgium game and try out the tactics, and let the chips fall wherever, but we need to be prepared for a less than optimal result then.  In the case of the USMNT, they stubbornly stuck with "we'll play out of the back thru Adams and McKennie" in spite of clear early indications that it wouldn't work, and Japan ate it up and rammed it right back down their gullets (a bit graphic, but you get the point).  Final was 2 - 0, but it could easily have been 4 or 5 - 0.  Point is, realistic expectations - we can work on tactics for the Group stage or we can try to get a result, but we might not be able to achieve both - at least not against a team this good.

52 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

First "male" player, no? (Doesn't Sinclair and a few others on the WNT have 100+ games?) 

Indeed - there are 18 Canadian women with more than 100 caps.  (Sinclair has 317, topped only by Kristine Lilly of the US with 354 - compare that with the FIFA men's record holder, Bader al-Mutawa of Kuwait at 196 caps.)

6 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

First "male" player, no? (Doesn't Sinclair and a few others on the WNT have 100+ games?) 

Why would you take things out of context here to shout out Sinclair? Of course she is the Canadian leader - there's no disrespect! Men's and Women's international footy is apples to oranges in regards to caps. 

5 hours ago, GasPed said:

Indeed - there are 18 Canadian women with more than 100 caps.  (Sinclair has 317, topped only by Kristine Lilly of the US with 354 - compare that with the FIFA men's record holder, Bader al-Mutawa of Kuwait at 196 caps.)

The more women play at clubs who are paying living wages and more, the less national team caps they will get. Fifa now has windows for women, and they'll be increasingly respected. Not only because of club committments, but because any injuries outside of windows will affect clubs paying proper salaries more directly. There will be more pressure to not have these unlimited call-ups with no consideration for clubs. So those international matches will be limited. 

Reasonably, playing 15 matches a year for 20 years, which describes Sinclair: it's possible, and could happen, but the tendency will be less international matches. Less stats as well. I think her goal-scoring stat is untouchable for these reasons.