Canada vs Japan - Thursday, November 17th - 8:40am EST / 5:40am Pacific - Al Maktoum Stadium, Dubai, The United Arab Emirates

11 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Japanese Japanese we call them ponjas in Spanish is a verlan French is that also wrong in this 2022?

During World War II, it was used as a derogatory word to call the Japanese soldiers.  Unfortunately after the war, its usage has persisted since then in North America and has been viewed as a racist word.

Very happy with that half.  Most of our players looked very good.  Junior and David were fantastic.  Hutchinson looks like he’s 25 and been playing all season.  Tajon has caused headaches.  Vitoria and Johnston have been strong.  Adekugbe started slow but got better.  Borjan and Larin not much to go on.  Kamal and Piette not looking good.

Just now, YorkRegionFan said:

During World War II, it was used as a derogatory word to call the Japanese soldiers.  Unfortunately after the war, its usage has persisted since then in North America and has been viewed as a racist word.

OK I didn't know that.  We call them ponjas but with affectionate and caring attitude I like Shawarma Larín publicity, on a side note

People can be critical of Miller or Piette but the reality is these are our players. There is no alternatives at CB or as a defensive midfielder. So we'll have to eat what's on our plate and just realize we're on a different level now

I thought it was a decent half from us. After the first 10 I thought it might be a disaster 

Edited by SpursFlu

50 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Why would anyone prefer this, or care at all?

Probably the same reason why the 11 players we're cheering for on the pitch do - we prefer the original lyrics that we've sung all of our lives.  I could add another 5 or 6 reasons I suppose but not sure why anyone would care or be interested in the middle of a WC friendly.

Back to the actual match, I would like to see Piette subbed out at the half. He's the weak link out there, he can only play the most simple pass going forward and isn't actually destroying the opposition's attack much (and is helping to destroy our own because we can't build out of the back through him, we have to go around him), leading me to ask what role he is actually playing out there. We have far too many other options not to try. Get Oso or Kone out there or even Fraser.