Bahrain vs Canada - Friday, November 11th - 10:30am EST / 7:30am Pacific - Isa Town, Bahrain

Wow watching that first Bahrain goal , the amount of mistakes I see , Kaye starts it off, Wateman gets turned and Johnson I think gets beat to the ball . From watching the game up until this point I think Canada was playing well and looked like the much better team. Moreover, would love to see if that Cavallini offside goal was really offside , if that counts you would have expected Canada to maybe go on and score a couple more and continue outplaying that Bahrain team. The Kone goal was very nice and shows why people are very excited about this kid . However, going back to that Bahrain first goal it definitely changed the game and Canada’s game was not the same after a very promising start I thought .

Edited by SoccMan

This was a scrimmage. A chance to watch training.

Oso looking good, check.  

Kone had a great goal, check.

Nobody got hurt, check. Do we really believe guys were giving it all, the way the Bahrainis were? I hope they weren’t - Herdman will have warned them not to take risks on 50/50 balls etc

Japan is the same, before we get too bent if we lose.

Edited by ensco

12 minutes ago, ensco said:

Oso looking good, check.  

Nobody got hurt, check. Do we really believe guys were giving it all, the way the Bahrainis were? I hope they weren’t - Herdman will have warned them not to take risks on 50/50 balls etc

Henry was hurt in warmups, Herdmans comments made it seem like it doesnt look good. 

Miller had to be subbed off with a leg issue. 

11 minutes ago, ensco said:

Oso looking good, check.  

The Bahrain players were most definitely not giving it all. They were scrimmaging, but we let them back into it and they began to believe they could do something.

That was a game to run up the score and come out with a major feel good.

Herdman then says there's still work to do. FFS John, what are you and your team doing?

3 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Henry was hurt in warmups, Herdmans comments made it seem like it doesnt look good. 

My bad. I was focused on the guys I think are irreplaceable or really important now, eg Oso, Johnston, The Miller thing  is a bit worrying. 

This is the real scorecard, is my point 

Edited by ensco

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Wow watching that first Bahrain goal , the amount of mistakes I see , Kaye starts it off, Wateman gets turned and Johnson I think gets beat to the ball .

It was actually Waterman who started it off with a terrible pass to Kaye, who could have done better but had no reason to believe Waterman's pass would be so far in front of him as he's backing up. From there onward it was a string of errors.

2 hours ago, ensco said:

My bad. I was focused on the guys I think are irreplaceable or really important now, eg Oso, Johnston, The Miller thing  is a bit worrying. 

This is the real scorecard, is my point 

Both those injuries are a real problem to a really important position. Our CB depth is not there after the Kennedy injury and Waterman performance. 

Edited by king1010

17 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

On Kone: What we all want is for him to continue developing in a suitably challenging but nurturing environment. If he goes to the UK, then one would hope he gets signed by a well-established team willing to develop a young talent like Kone, who will likely loan him out to the Championship so he can get real minutes and grow etc.

I would still much prefer he went to the Bundesliga. I just feel the Germans do a better job of developing young talent than the EPL does. Gross generalization? Maybe, but it feels right to me.

Having said that, it could be that one more year in Montreal will set him up for a more beneficial move to Europe than if he goes over the winter. KJ and Platt seem pretty convinced, however, that he won't be back in Montreal next year.

The whole Laryea-NF thing kinda left a sour taste in my mouth, so I agree a potential move to the Bundesliga would be great.

Imagine Bayern comes a-knockin' again after striking gold already with Phonzie. Heck, even Borussia Dortmund interest I think would be pretty cool.

2 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Kone's finish on that goal was class but I wonder what people here would have said if or defender had conceded in the same manner?

However, overall I really impressed with what Kone delivered out there.  Very excited for him going forward.

the ball took a bit of a bounce as he was striking it. Just glad it didn't sail over the bar. Re the Bahrain defender, I think it's only right that we hold or expect a higher standard for our players no?

15 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

the ball took a bit of a bounce as he was striking it. Just glad it didn't sail over the bar. Re the Bahrain defender, I think it's only right that we hold or expect a higher standard for our players no?

It wasn't good defending is my point.  The finish was class, however.

7 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Kone's finish on that goal was class but I wonder what people here would have said if our defender had conceded in the same manner?

However, overall I am really impressed with what Kone delivered out there.  Very excited for him going forward.

touches and finishes aside, it was just his pace on that goal that struck me.  You can't teach size and pace.  Kone has technical skill to go along with it.  He just needs experience.  If anything I find him too passive at times.  He might make the wrong pass once in a while, but he also makes some beautiful passes.  He can pick out a man.

On 11/12/2022 at 2:22 AM, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I think we have to play a 3-5-2 against Belgium and Croatia. Maybe even a 3-5-1-1, in effect.  We need to clog the middle and protect our back three, then counter hard on the wings. 

I personally am of the view that we should play 4-2-3-1 like Germany plays which will become 4-5-1 much of the time

David

Davies             Kone          Buchanan

Eustaquio       Hutch

Adekugbe   Millar   Vitoria  Johnson

i think that clogs the midfield by putting a lot of pressure on the ball on their defenders or midfielders but gives a lot more protection to the back line.  Any you have 4 guys up front who can beat a man and get forward quickly with Eustaquio being a late arriver into the box.  I think that will give any of the defenses in our group fits.  And you have full backs who while are not super fast but can both get forward occasionally and make a cross.  If we are up or tied, you can bring on Piette for Hutch as the latter fades or Fraser/Kaye for Kone to shore up the midfield and Larin for any of the front three that are tiring.

If we are down a goal, you can bring on Osorio for Hutch and move Kone into back into Hutch’s spot, and bring on Larin and Hoilett on the wings for Adekugbe or Johnson and push Buchanan or Davies back as attacking fullbacks to support the attack.

Watched the first 65 mins or so the next day… after reading the comments here I was expecting worse. I’m of the “B squad, half of which haven’t played recently and now playing together for the first time in crazy heat on a terrible pitch” mind. All those facts considered, I thought we weren’t bad. 

No doubt it was useful for the staff and the guys who didn’t leave injured… I suppose we don’t know yet what the price of playing this match was. Any serious injuries to the back line could be huge, we have so little depth there. Has anyone seen an update on Miller’s condition?

Thought Bahrain was coming in hard early and often… looked to me (after the first 15 mins or so) a touch of caution on our guys part. 

What can be taken from it about our possible world cup form, I’m not sure. We might have had only 3 starters playing. Given Herdman’s comments after the match, Kone looks not to start, and I’d expect Piette might only start if Hutch couldn’t. Laryea may be displaced by Hoilett. 

24 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I personally am of the view that we should play 4-2-3-1 like Germany plays which will become 4-5-1 much of the time

David

Eustaquio       Hutch

i think that clogs the midfield by putting a lot of pressure on the ball on their defenders or midfielders but gives a lot more protection to the back line.  Any you have 4 guys up front who can beat a man and get forward quickly with Eustaquio being a late arriver into the box.  I think that will give any of the defenses in our group fits.  And you have full backs who while are not super fast but can both get forward occasionally and make a cross.  If we are up or tied, you can bring on Piette for Hutch as the latter fades or Fraser/Kaye for Kone to shore up the midfield and Larin for any of the front three that are tiring.

If we are down a goal, you can bring on Osorio for Hutch and move Kone into back into Hutch’s spot, and bring on Larin and Hoilett on the wings for Adekugbe or Johnson and push Buchanan or Davies back as attacking fullbacks to support the attack.

Like that lineup and formation  a lot.

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

David

Eustaquio       Hutch

I like this a lot too!  I bet herdman will use those players and play 3-5-2.  Basically buchanan drops into the back line.  Could see oso start over kone?  Maybe even spoony or is that too bold?

15 hours ago, king1010 said:

Love Henry, but the guy looks at the pitch wrong and picks up a knock. That more than anything else has held him back in his career, IMO.

Honestly, if he's not good to go that's a big blow cause it basically means Atiba's our back-up CB, and 35 year old Vitoria better be prepared to play every match. Sure, Waterman and/or Cornelius will get the call to make up the numbers, but I doubt either would be trusted to start a world cup game, whereas a fit Doneil probably would have been.