Bahrain vs Canada - Friday, November 11th - 10:30am EST / 7:30am Pacific - Isa Town, Bahrain

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

I think this is pretty spot on.  For me:

Borjan is clear starter.  St Clair & Pantemis will be the backups

Miller, Vitoria, Johnston, Adekugbe, Laryea are locks in the back

Kone, Piette, Eustaquio, Osorio, Hutchinson, Hoilett are locks in the midfield

Larin, David, Davies & Buchanan are locks up top

In my opinion those 18 players are 100% locks and those are the main 15 players we will see play in Qatar with a few appearances from some others.

The next locks for me - Henry (if healthy), Kaye, Cavallini, Ugbo, Millar & Wotherspoon

We have a lot of players listed above that can move around and play mutliple positions if needed so the final 2 spots could be anyone and in my opinion they fall between any of the following players - ZBG, Corbeanu, Edwards, Fraser, Shaffelburg, Waterman & Brym.

Obviously Arfield would be automatic if available, but I think that him along with Nelson, MacNaughton, Choiniere & Akinola are off the radar completely.

Similar to mine except that I would I would move Shaffleburg, Waterman and maybe Edward and Corbenu to the “off the radar” category.   And Wotherspoon is in no way a lock.  So that leaves  ZBG, Fraser, Edwards, Wotherspoon and Brym 

ZBG -  He is versatile in the he can play HB in a back 4, or winger in a 5 man midfield.  He can come forward. 

Fraser -  is steady and doesnt make mistakes but is not flashy. Had some great good moments in WCQ.  Example that pass to David in Honduras,  that header late in the game at the Azteca that almost put Canada ahead.

Wotherspoon.- veteran experince might be welcomed on this squad.  But has he shown more in WCQ than Fraser?  I dont think so.  He might still get in the final three spots with Fraser and ZBG.

Brym - seem to recall he is having a good season with his club and that they like him.  But do we need another forward? Especially now with Ugbo? 

Edwards -  I dont think that they have seen enough of him given that he was never called in WCQ.  And do they need another winger?  He showed some good first touched today but was that enough?  Probably not.

Corbeanu -  they never called much in WCQ so i dont see why they would for the WC.  His Club form, doesnt strike me as noteworthy from what i recall.  Also, i dont believe, unlike many here, that he is playing a high level.  If he were tearing it up at club level, then i might think differently. 

so i think it will be ZBG and Fraser.

Edited by Free kick

10 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I dont think you're genuinely asking me a question. I think you're trying to express an opinion about Waterman that you think he has a poor soccer IQ. That wasn't my takeaway from that play and I haven't seen enough of Waterman to have that strong of an opinion about him. You must be a FC Montreal supporter

Good catch. I should’ve said the pass was poor soccer iq in my opinion rather than imply a generalization about waterman.  I rate waterman in mls for sure. Pitch could also have impacted waterman’s pass or Kayes awful reaction time.  In either case, I think both players had a poor day. Glad we have differing opinions as that’s what creates dialogue. Its boring if we agree all the time on every play. 

37 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Its a shame that the Bahrain match wasn't played at the stadium where the women are playing right now, the pitch looks immaculate by comparison. I know that this was effectively a "bonus" match just to get players minutes and into game shape for the big dance, but I am really tired of seeing us play on these bovine pastures. Thankfully the next four (at minimum) will be be on actual half-decent pitches.

A little off topic, but I wonder if this more the norm for pitches in that region... water is either pumped from the ground (and those sources are likely running dry), or obtained via desalination, which is an expensive and energy-intensive process.  There might be some strict limits on how much water can be spent on pitches, esp if it's not used for showcase purposes.  It's humid and dry most of the time and you'd need a lot of water to maintain the field.  I've read there is a crazy amount of water being being used to keep the Qatar pitches looking pristine and lush...

"Each pitch requires 10,000 litres of desalinated water daily in winter and 50,000 litres in the summer,"

And yes, the stadium where the women are playing is very good...it's the home pitch of Santos (?)

13 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Corbeanu -  they never called much in WCQ so i dont see why they would for the WC.  His Club form, doesnt strike me as noteworthy from what i recall.  Also, i dont believe, unlike many here, that he is playing a high level.  If he were tearing it up at club level, then i might think differently.

Kone is our most exciting prospect, and we're collectively hoping that he moves to the league next year that Corbeanu is currently playing in, often as a starter. Sure, Blackpool isn't good at all this year, but Corbeanu is still 2nd on the club in goals (3, but still), and aside from Davies, David, Eustaquio, Buchanan, Larin, and Hoilett, none of our other players play at a better club.

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Kone is our most exciting prospect, and we're collectively hoping that he moves to the league next year that Corbeanu is currently playing in, often as a starter. Sure, Blackpool isn't good at all this year, but Corbeanu is still 2nd on the club in goals (3, but still), and aside from Davies, David, Eustaquio, Buchanan, Larin, and Hoilett, none of our other players play at a better club.

Well thats just your opinion.  I really hope and believe that Kone can do better than playing in a second division.   What the hell is MLS for?  To graduate players for the second divisions?  Might as well fold the tent in that case. Why do we have such low ambitions for our players, clubs and leagues?

thankfully, Kone has already said NO to Norwich.  Why would that change?

Edited by Free kick

Just now, Free kick said:

Well thats just your opinion.  I really hope and believe that Kone can do better than playing in a second division.  

So do I, and I think the same for Corbeanu- something his coach also said just a few days ago. There are rumors of Bundesliga clubs being interested in Kone, and his stock has risen since Sheffield tried to snag him, so who knows where he'll go, but I think we would all be ecstatic if he completes a transfer to the Championship next year.

The whole Arfield talk leave me a bit confused. Like, this was a homebased team so he wouldn't have been able to play here anyway. What's the link between the two?

Broadly speaking, I do feel it is worth nothing two things here:

I. Bahrein is not a terrible team by any means. They had a perfectly honorable qualification campaign and Asian cup before that. Sure, it isn't the kind of 1-30 team in FIFA ranking we are gonna play in Qatar but neither is it a minnow, or even minor team, by any means. 

II. This group as a whole hasn't really ever played together. Sure, many of them have played for Canada but except Johnston and Miller nobody there is on our best 11 and a pretty solid chunk of it is reasonably deep in our dept chart, which affected how fluid things where...

Mind you, I am still somewhat disappointed but add the other factors others have mentioned and IMO there is really no reason to panic...

11 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

Top 10 league in the world 

Says who?  As i said may times,  there is absoluted no proof of this. 

this is just stuff you hear from the UK.   Well of course every culture will think highly of its valued cultural institutions.  Some might call that propaganda.  Show me competitions whereby sec div clubs in England have outclassed first or even second division clubs from other leagues? 

other than on Wales, show me which decent National team at the WC is showing on their sqauds players players from the Championship.

Edited by Free kick

3 minutes ago, phil03 said:

Broadly speaking, I do feel it is worth nothing two things here:

I. Bahrein is not a terrible team by any means. They had a perfectly honorable qualification campaign and Asian cup before that. Sure, it isn't the kind of 1-30 team in FIFA ranking we are gonna play in Qatar but neither is it a minnow, or even minor team, by any means. 

II. This group as a whole hasn't really ever played together. Sure, many of them have played for Canada but except Johnston and Miller nobody there is on our best 11 and a pretty solid chunk of it is reasonably deep in our dept chart, which affected how fluid things where...

Mind you, I am still somewhat disappointed but add the other factors others have mentioned and IMO there is really no reason to panic...

I don’t see it as a reason to panic for the World Cup necessarily, because as you say hopefully most of the players who played today won’t really be involved in Qatar. For me it’s just more indication how poor our depth is. I see here all the time about how good our depth is and comparing us to Mexico / US and it’s absurd when you see the type of players we’re depending on when we run a B squad

10 minutes ago, Floortom said:

For me it’s just more indication how poor our depth is. I see here all the time about how good our depth is and comparing us to Mexico / US and it’s absurd when you see the type of players we’re depending on when we run a B squad

We've always pumped up the tires too much on some of these guys, that's true.

48 minutes ago, Free kick said:

There is no actual proof of any league's rank beyond the top teams in the top tier ones. The rest of the teams never play each other.  So you rely on people who watch football for a living and lots of statistical extrapolations.

That said the level of football I have seen for the last few years in the  Championship (I watch usually one or two games  a week) is overall above the Swiss (Millar) Belgian (David and now Buchanan), and the Scottish Leagues (various).  Similar with the smaller Portuguese teams (Vitoria and previously Eustaquio). MLS to there is a sideways move to me but one with a massive up side, you will be noticed.

My opinion means very little but there you go.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

20 minutes ago, Free kick said:

this is just stuff you hear from the UK.   Well of course every culture will think highly of its valued cultural institutions.  Some might call that propaganda.  Show me competitions whereby sec div clubs in England have outclassed first or even second division clubs from other leagues? 

other than on Wales, show me which decent National team at the WC is showing on their sqauds players players from the Championship.

I get your point but through process of elimination what are the top 10 leagues. 
Prem 

la liga

bundesliga

serie a

ligue 1

eredivisie

portugal

belguim  

MLS? Turkey? Greece? Brazil?  Serbia? Championship?   

the top 8 seem clearish   Who is 9 and 10.  It’s not inconceivable that championship could be a top 10 league. 

I think Ghana has a bunch of championship players.  

If you’re looking for proof, I’d say wages could be one way to evaluate the league. Maybe not the best metric but generally speaking higher wages equals better talent. 

11 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I get your point but through process of elimination what are the top 10 leagues. 
Prem 

la liga

bundesliga

serie a

ligue 1

eredivisie

portugal

belguim  

MLS? Turkey? Greece? Brazil?  Serbia? Championship?   

the top 8 seem clearish   Who is 9 and 10.  It’s not inconceivable that championship could be a top 10 league. 

I think Ghana has a bunch of championship players.  

If you’re looking for proof, I’d say wages could be one way to evalMaybe not the best metric but generally speaking higher wages equals better talent. 

Yes.  Wages is one factor and that is true.   The championship teams are better supported than anywhere else and hence, they can pay more money than than many first div’s from smaller countries.   But it doesnt mean that the talent in the championship  is anywhere close to World class. I have watched games involving Championsip sides and the absence of elite talent is very noticeable.  Especailly offensive talent.  And its hard to watch to be honnest.   Not a good place for someone that you really think is a good prospect. 

its very basic,  very tactical and leaves very little room for a players creativity.   The coaches will coach that out of you.   Good example,  while back i was looking  at NF’s squad (i think it was NF) and a couple of other.  And it was all players from the UK except 3-4 usually.   A check a few from Portugal that caught my attention.  Well none of them had any caps.  They werent on the radar for Portugal internationally.   I could say the same for many others.

Edited by Free kick

35 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Says who?  As i said may times,  there is absolutely no proof of this. 

Is there some established, objective way to determine the ranked quality and level of competition of one league next to another? Is it payroll? Is it the range of clubs qualifying for champions league or Europa and progressing? Is is stars? Is it different clubs winning cups and the league?  Is it opinion? 

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  Wages is one factor and that is true.   The championship teams are better supported than anywhere else and hence, they can pay more money than than many first div’s from smaller countries.   But it doesnt mean that the talent in the championship  is anywhere close to World class. I have watched games involving Championsip sides and the absence of elite talent is very noticeable.  Especailly offensive talent.  And its hard to watch to be honnest.   Not a good place for someone that you really think is a good prospect. 

??? Take a peak at England's roster and see where all of their players got their start.