Bahrain vs Canada - Friday, November 11th - 10:30am EST / 7:30am Pacific - Isa Town, Bahrain

10 minutes ago, Razcal said:

That's why this camp and these warm-up games are important.

Also, is this the team we will be facing them with?

Well Johnston & Miller are sure starters and Kone, Oso, Piette & Laryea would at the very least be expected to sub in. There's very little time before facing a powerhouse in Belgium. We look very very poor and there's a lack of effort. I know the players don't want to pick up an injury but this performance is piss poor

3 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

We cannot have Kaye play in Qatar. So much downside for the occasional "slide-rule pass" he hits once every two matches. One bad Kaye play could mean we're done in the tourney.

Remember Canada is going to be the underdog in all 3 group matches, and a huge underdog in two of them. An extra mistake likely doesn't change the result, but a single moment of brilliance could flip the result the other way. I'm not suggesting Kaye starts or even plays, but Herdman shouldn't be playing safe with his selections.

Edited by jonovision

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

I hope the surfaces in Qatar are a million times better than this pitch. No wonder Henry got injured in the warm up. The game has been useful for getting Oso minutes and to see Kone succeed despite the bobble-head pitch we are playing on, but it hasn’t been useful for much else thus far. The fact that Johnston was hitting pinpoint crosses in his last match all game long but can’t make one to save his life in this one suggests a lot about how shit the pitch is

On the flip side, it shows you how good Kone's touch is. Six minutes into the match and he already has a sense of how the ball is going to respond on that pitch. I'm thinking of the second touch with his left foot to set up the shot. Good players can adjust a little.

2 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I literally thought you were being sarcastic.

Eh I just don't feel like being so harsh. It's obvious the left is an outlet for the team right now and he's at least trying. Had a nice cross to Richie late in the half.

I don't see him making Qatar but everyone here is acting like he shot their dog or something.

The pitch is hideous, it looks very hot, and this is a B team. Having said that, it is time to see some substitutes. I would like to see Choiniere, Akinola, Shaffelburg, Fraser, (for Kaye) and Brault-Guillard (for Johnston)  for at least 30 minutes each, perhaps more.

We know what Cavallini brings, we need better service from the wing, we need some more creativity from the midfield, and this match needs to tell us something more about the fringe players.

Kaye has been less than optimal today so far. Piette looks a bit frustrated, and the team being out of full match fitness is telling . . . Let's see some change in the second half.

Miller is leaving it all out there for sure. What an effort!

1 minute ago, rydermike said:

I'm torn between wanting to go all out to win and pulling guys like Osorio to not risk injury on this pitch 

I think Oso gets pulled regardless, he's not 100% and should play a role against Japan. Just glad that he's healthy enough to see the pitch even for 45 mins. Fraser probably gets a chance to show what he can do.

...is it to late to make amends with Manjrekar James? /s

Waterman is probably in now anyways with Kennedy and now Henry most likely out.

I'm assuming Cornelius is in too.

So who would you take over Waterman? McNaughton? Manrejar James? Am I missing someone.

You usually don't sub CB's anyways. He will be the 26th guy on the squad.

Just now, jonovision said:

Remember Canada is going to the underdog in all 3 group matches, and a huge underdog in two of them. An extra mistake likely doesn't change the result. I'm not suggesting Kaye starts or even plays, but Herdman shouldn't be playing safe with his selections.

Kaye has been off the mark all of 2022 he's on this team for Qatar but I don't see him seeing the pitch unless by some miracle we're up 3-0 on someone. He's become a turnover machine and he can't seem to fix that issue right now.

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

Remember Canada is going to be the underdog in all 3 group matches, and a huge underdog in two of them. An extra mistake likely doesn't change the result, but a single moment of brilliance could flip the result the other way. I'm not suggesting Kaye starts or even plays, but Herdman shouldn't be playing safe with his selections.

Right but if we play someone whose xM (expected mistakes) is so high we're asking for it.

Just now, VinceA said:

Kaye has been off the mark all of 2022 he's on this team for Qatar but I don't see him seeing the pitch unless by some miracle we're up 3-0 on someone. He's become a turnover machine and he can't seem to fix that issue right now.

Kaye isn't the kind of player you should be inserting when you're up 3-0. He should come on when you're down 2-0 or 3-0.

Oso and Kone have had some nice moments, but many of our guys are struggling out there, including starters like Johnston and Miller. Yeah, the pitch is ass and the heat is ridiculous and there's rust in them bones, but I am expecting some better decision making in the second half from these guys.

Aside from the long ball to Edwards, Kaye has been mostly poor, to the point that I cannot see him getting any minutes in Qatar.  Edwards is working his ass off, but the quality just isn't there. Waterman has pooped the bed so far. Cava is running his ass off, but he's not done much else. He's not had much service either, mind you. (Pretty sure his goal was legit, but the real credit on that play goes to Oso.) St. Clair is nervous; he needs to catch the ball on some of those free kicks.

I want to see us move the ball more quickly in attack, but not force the play, and I want us to be more cohesive and intelligent when we don't have the ball.  Yes, let's shed the rust and improve match fitness (and not get any injuries), but I also want to see us take a step up mid-game.

1 minute ago, canuckgbp said:

Keep everyone healthy and get fitness levels for those Qatar starters amd key subs at a good level. Over analyzing play on a cow pasture will fry your brain. 

Absolutely.  Sacrificing the final score of this match is fine with me, as long as we don't pick up any more injuries.

If I were a cow, I'd refuse to go anywhere near that dump.

First half takeaway: The more guys we can can quickly move through the MLS, or just skip it all together, the better. It's a stopover league on the way to better quality, especially at the back line. Perhaps in 5 or 10 years the league will prove to be competitive on an international level in terms of quality, tactics and development, but at the moment, it's just not there.

1 minute ago, Pottsy3 said:

I’ll say, I really think the 25th and 26th spots on the roster could be won in this second half. 

Kaye might be playing himself below a Wotherspoon on the pecking order, but I don’t think Herdman would be ballsy enough to take him out of the squad entirely.

The brotherhood giveth and the brotherhood taketh away. 

Hes the coach, he should make the tough decisions and one of those should be leaving Kaye at home.