Bahrain vs Canada - Friday, November 11th - 10:30am EST / 7:30am Pacific - Isa Town, Bahrain

Bahrain vs Canada
Friday, November 11 2022
10:30am EST / 7:30am Pacific  (6:30pm local)
Khalifa Sports City Stadium (aka Isa Town Stadium)
Isa Town, Bahrain
Sources:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj7udI4s2Vx/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CkOTV4fsFgx/

Broadcast in Canada:
ONESOCCER (live - online)

Broadcast in Bahrain or elsewhere:
TBD

Tickets:
Available in person at the office of the Bahrain FA. There are three different price categories. @patstew19 is the only one confirmed as going. If you are going please get in touch with him (he is a true Voyageur and a nice dude)

Canada's roster:
https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-announces-squad-for-away-camp-in-bahrain-november-2022/ 
- Since the roster was announced Maxime Crépeau is clearly out through injury. Thomas Hasal has been added to the squad to replace him
- Liam Fraser will miss two club matches (he is the only player still in season)

Bahrain's roster:
TBD (They have started their training camp but haven't announced a roster)

Reminder, this is a #CanMNT + #CanWNT double header day with about 45 minutes between the end of the #CanMNT match and the beginning of the #CanWNT match.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Thanks, O_de_M.

And if you haven’t had enough of supporting Canadian national teams that day, Canada’s women’s rugby team will play France in the Rugby World Cup third-place match at 10:30 pm on Nov. 11. Should be available on TSN4.

The Canadian women have had an excellent tournament so far, narrowly losing to overwhelming favourites England in the semi-final.

Now, back to football…

24 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I saw someone posted a photo on the flight over of Waterman.  Any other photos floating around?

Alistair Johnston posted an Instagram story from the Dubai airport. I assume the camp starts tomorrow (Monday).

The only question is will Fraser be there at the same time as the others or will he arrive late?

Bahrain is about convincing Herdman who should go against Japan. Japan has to be about giving the minutes to the players that you believe will play against Belgium.

This is a big, big game for Osorio, Piette, Kone, Kaye. We are very unsettled in midfield. I don't think more than two of those guys will get meaningful minutes in Qatar.

If Oso or Kaye don’t look right, I don’t know if Herdman can afford to use minutes for those guys against Japan in the search for fitness and effectiveness.

Piette and Kone have different challenges. Piette may already have Kaye's “spot” in the pecking order now, I am not sure. Piette's job is to make sure that is true. Kone is a wild card, a guy Herdman might put in regardless of the form of the others. Kone's job is to show something special, a bit of flair that the other MLS guys don’t have.

Edited by ensco

4 hours ago, rydermike said:

Doubt it. Borjan will be showing up in a few days for Japan and the WC. They can roll with two keepers

You need a keeper to train who's going to throw himself in front of shooting drills and you don't risk the health of the ones you need when doing that. At minimum you rotate.

I'm not sure folks have ever watched a team training. Anyways, it's what I would do.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Did we ever get a Bahrain squad?

Abdul-Wahhab Al-Maloud, Walid Al-Hayyam, Rashid Al-Houti, Syed Muhammad Jaafar, Amin bin Uday (Muharraq), Ali Haram, Jassem Al-Sheikh, Hamad Shamsan, Syed Reda Issa, Muhammad Marhoon, Camille Al-Aswad, Syed Hashem Issa (Riffa), Ahmed Bogmar, Muhammad Adel, Mahdi Humaidan, Syed Zia Saeed (Khalidiya), Ammar Muhammad, Mahdi Abdul Latif, Ibrahim Al-Khatal (Manama), Talal Al-Shrooqi (Al-Had), Ali Al-Enezi (Umm Al-Hassam), Ibrahim Lutfallah (Al-Ahly), Ali Mudon (Ajman) UAE), and Abdullah Yusuf (Presia Jakarta, Indonesia)

https://alwatannews.net/Sports/article/1035745/منتخب-البحرين-لكرة-القدم-يبدأ-معسكر-نوفمبر-التدريبي-بقيادة-سوزا

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You need a keeper to train who's going to throw himself in front of shooting drills and you don't risk the health of the ones you need when doing that. At minimum you rotate.

I'm not sure folks have ever watched a team training. Anyways, it's what I would do.

I think your assessment makes sense here, but also it's an opportunity to give another young keeper exposure. I would hope the CSA wouldn't cheap out here just to save a few bucks.

Like I said before, here I would personally choose to invest in Hasal. Give him a taste of the Canadian national team environment in a pre-World Cup context. Let him participate in drills and help prepare our guys for the big show, in the middle east no less. Have him sit on the bench in Bahrain and soak up all that energy on the eve of the tournament. It's not the World Cup proper, but it's pretty damn close.

This doesn't have to be Hasal. It could be Breza or someone else potentially (like Carducci), but Hasal already has 34 first team apperances for Vancouver as a 23 year old, and it would have been more had he not gotten injured, so he's well on his way to being a solid pro and likely starter in MLS. For comparison, St. Clair had 13 Minnesota first team appearances at his age, Pantemis had 5 (for Montreal), and Crepeau had 7 (also for Montreal). Not saying Hasal will be a better keeper than all of them, but he's certainly ahead of them in terms of experience at that age. Breza had a ton of experience in the lower levels of Italy, but he's also lost his spot to Pantemis and who knows where he'll be landing at, so he's a wild card for me. 

Therefore, i'd say we (Canada) should be pushing Hasal along any chance we get (like this camp), so that we can use him later next cycle if needed. 

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think your assessment makes sense here, but also it's an opportunity to give another young keeper exposure. I would hope the CSA wouldn't cheap out here just to save a few bucks.

Like I said before, here I would personally choose to invest in Hasal. Give him a taste of the Canadian national team environment in a pre-World Cup context. Let him participate in drills and help prepare our guys for the big show, in the middle east no less. Have him sit on the bench in Bahrain and soak up all that energy on the eve of the tournament. It's not the World Cup proper, but it's pretty damn close.

This doesn't have to be Hasal. It could be Breza or someone else potentially (like Carducci), but Hasal already has 34 first team apperances for Vancouver as a 23 year old, and it would have been more had he not gotten injured, so he's well on his way to being a solid pro and likely starter in MLS. For comparison, St. Clair had 13 Minnesota first team appearances at his age, Pantemis had 5 (for Montreal), and Crepeau had 7 (also for Montreal). Not saying Hasal will be a better keeper than all of them, but he's certainly ahead of them in terms of experience at that age. Breza had a ton of experience in the lower levels of Italy, but he's also lost his spot to Pantemis and who knows where he'll be landing at, so he's a wild card for me. 

Therefore, i'd say we (Canada) should be pushing Hasal along any chance we get (like this camp), so that we can use him later next cycle if needed. 

I think it's too close to the game to invite a new player on ~4 day notice, considering travel + acclimation, but if there is a guy, I would go with Breza simply for the fact that CFM has 8 (?) players in Bahrain, meaning a significant portion of the team has spent the last year training with him which can help practices move along easier, because for that portion of the team (including the 4-5 Qatar locks), the practices would be no different than what they are used to at their club. Of course, that advantage may be negated by the fact that Herdman is the coach and not Nancy, and they run things differently, but you're basically looking for a guy with 0 expectations of playing time who you can use to run drills with while the rest of the team trains with St. Clair and Pantemis.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm hoping the CSA already has a few filler training players invited for this purpose.

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

Hasal should get a good look in 2023 and beyond if he is the number 1 keeper in Vancouver.  Despite any public comments from Schuster, I am not convinced that will be the case, however.  

One of either Breza or Pantemis needs to be a number 1 somewhere else to develop as well as to improve their NT prospects.

They would have flown someone in yesterday (and yes, the possible replacements for Crepeau would have left a vapour trail on the way to the airport to be in Bahrain) so I don't see another keeper being added at this point.

On another note, Bahrain is kind of a weird team. Their domestic league isn't very good - they haven't had a team in AFC Champions League since 2004. In AFC tournament play, their best team just got crushed by a club from Oman. But for whatever reason, they seem to do decent enough at the international level. Last year, they actually beat Curacao 4-0 and Haiti 6-1.  They're 9-3 in friendlies this year, including an impressive win over DR Congo.

As far as I can tell, their best player is probably Abdulla Yusuf who had a short stint with Slavia Prague... uh, he's in Indonesia now lol.

So yeah, they're a bit of an enigma. Not too sure what to expect.

3 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

On another note, Bahrain is kind of a weird team. Their domestic league isn't very good - they haven't had a team in AFC Champions League since 2004. In AFC tournament play, their best team just got crushed by a club from Oman. But for whatever reason, they seem to do decent enough at the international level. Last year, they actually beat Curacao 4-0 and Haiti 6-1.  They're 9-3 in friendlies this year, including an impressive win over DR Congo.

As far as I can tell, their best player is probably Abdulla Yusuf who had a short stint with Slavia Prague... uh, he's in Indonesia now lol.

So yeah, they're a bit of an enigma. Not too sure what to expect.

Beating Haiti 6-1 is pretty impressive...I wonder if that was a super weak Haitian squad though.

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Beating Haiti 6-1 is pretty impressive...I wonder if that was a super weak Haitian squad though.

It definitely wasn't their A-team - but it wasn't a bunch of scrubs either. It was a recruitment camp for them if I'm remembering right.