General MLS Talk 2023

Big_M

On 9/10/2023 at 4:36 AM, narduch said:

Related, Kaylyn Kyle was suspended for a month in early August from MLS media services for inferring Arena's comments were of a racial nature . She apologized after making them but was still suspended. I read the Athletic article updating this guy

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12389151/MLS-host-Kaylyn-Kyle-apologizes-claiming-ex-USA-manager-Bruce-Arena-investigated-racial-slur.html

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Related, Kaylyn Kyle was suspended for a month in early August from MLS media services for inferring Arena's comments were of a racial nature . She apologized after making them but was still suspended. I read the Athletic article updating this guy

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12389151/MLS-host-Kaylyn-Kyle-apologizes-claiming-ex-USA-manager-Bruce-Arena-investigated-racial-slur.html

Sounds like MLS is trying to cover up what happened 

So many interesting games involving Canadian players today, but their kick off is all at 730pm.

Atlanta - Miami
Charlotte - DC
Montréal - Chicago (this one on TSN4 and RDS)
Toronto - Vancouver
Orlando - Columbus

Which one will you watch? 

Hiebert, St. Clair, Bombito, Kaye, Crépeau, Akinola, Baldisimo and Edwards all playing later. Portland and McGraw play tomorrow. Don't know where Nashville is. 

Edited by MauditYvon

In a GQ piece, Apple SVP Eddy Cue says pre-Messi MLS Season Pass viewer numbers were right at the TV numbers or slightly above. People are tuning in and watching way longer than they were on TV.

Other tidbits:

He wasn't a rabid MLS fan. His first reaction to the deal was that MLS wasn't big enough for Apple. Not happy FIFA has a rule preventing players wearing headphones while warming up. 

Apple wasn’t just looking for a sport to air—it wanted a sport that was open to being changed by Apple.

At home, he’s got nine televisions arrayed in a grid, plus a digital ticker relaying scores.

https://www.gq.com/story/apple-sports-streaming-mls-eddy-cue

• 2 weeks later...

I never come to the MLS topic, but I just have to complain about Apple.

I have complained before about their spoilers that are immediately visible when you are trying to start a game that is already in progress, but it went a step further for me tonight.

I couldn't watch the TFC game from the beginning tonight, so after blindly guiding my 10 year old daughter to the game so that I didn't have to see the score, I started watching the game. I got 70ish minutes into the game, 3-2 for Cincinnatti, when I needed to go the the washroom, get my next beer, and start the next load of laundry. So I paused the game. Did what I needed to do, and by the time I came back my Firestick was on a screensaver. So I pressed a button to get it back to the Apple app, which had some sort of title screen for the game, with a giant score and the word "Final" in the middle. WTF Apple!!! I pressed the "Watch" button anyways, and of course it started it from the beginning instead of where I was. Now I've got the game on for the last 10 or 15 minutes but I already know the result so I'm not really paying attention, just ranting here instead. How has Apple still not figured out that spoilers for sports are kind of a big deal?!?!

P.S. I was also annoyed when there was a replay worthy play and they immediately went to replay while the ball was still in play in the first half. Actually, they did the typical "Closeup of a player of someone who just did a thing but now is just jogging" followed immediately by a 3 different angles replay to then finally join the game in progress.

P.P.S. Also the video quality is always so weird. Like there are black lines outlining the white lines on the field, and a lot of the grass as well. It looks so bad even without any bandwitdth/compression issues. I don't know what they are doing with the images but it looks terrible. Also there was one low to the ground camera that made the grass look blue. I remember in a game earlier in the season with a low to the ground camera that made the players' skin look red.

End rant.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

I never come to the MLS topic, but I just have to complain about Apple.

I have complained before about their spoilers that are immediately visible when you are trying to start a game that is already in progress, but it went a step further for me tonight.

I couldn't watch the TFC game from the beginning tonight, so after blindly guiding my 10 year old daughter to the game so that I didn't have to see the score, I started watching the game. I got 70ish minutes into the game, 3-2 for Cincinnatti, when I needed to go the the washroom, get my next beer, and start the next load of laundry. So I paused the game. Did what I needed to do, and by the time I came back my Firestick was on a screensaver. So I pressed a button to get it back to the Apple app, which had some sort of title screen for the game, with a giant score and the word "Final" in the middle. WTF Apple!!! I pressed the "Watch" button anyways, and of course it started it from the beginning instead of where I was. Now I've got the game on for the last 10 or 15 minutes but I already know the result so I'm not really paying attention, just ranting here instead. How has Apple still not figured out that spoilers for sports are kind of a big deal?!?!

P.S. I was also annoyed when there was a replay worthy play and they immediately went to replay while the ball was still in play in the first half. Actually, they did the typical "Closeup of a player of someone who just did a thing but now is just jogging" followed immediately by a 3 different angles replay to then finally join the game in progress.

P.P.S. Also the video quality is always so weird. Like there are black lines outlining the white lines on the field, and a lot of the grass as well. It looks so bad even without any bandwitdth/compression issues. I don't know what they are doing with the images but it looks terrible. Also there was one low to the ground camera that made the grass look blue. I remember in a game earlier in the season with a low to the ground camera that made the players' skin look red.

End rant.

On top of this the announcing is bad. And the pre, post and half time info is shit too.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Try going into "Settings" and then scroll down to "Show Sports Scores" and set it to 'Off'.

11 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

Try going into "Settings" and then scroll down to "Show Sports Scores" and set it to 'Off'.

I looked for that early in the season. I think that is just for certain apple devices, not on Firestick or Roku, which are the devices I use.

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

I looked for that early in the season. I think that is just for certain apple devices, not on Firestick or Roku, which are the devices I use.

That reminds me of another annoyance. There is no Android app.

And I can't do the Family sharing unless I have an Apple device 

7 hours ago, Kent said:

I've been using Roku all season, and I've been able to turn it off.  So the option exists....I just don't remember how I did it.

On 10/1/2023 at 10:03 AM, Kent said:

Hmmmm.   I use Roku, too.  These tech glitches can be annoying.  I have rokus on two different sets.  I've turned off the subtitles on both.   One doesn't show subtitles.  The other always does on each game I view.  On that set I have to turn off the individual game's subtitle each time I watch a specific game.

19 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I've been using Roku all season, and I've been able to turn it off.  So the option exists....I just don't remember how I did it.

I'll double check the Roku. I usually use the TV that has the Firestick and I remember checking that one. I can't remember for sure if I checked the Roku.