TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

On 12/16/2022 at 12:39 PM, Pottsy3 said:

Was there not a rumour on this board years back about Hedges being CanMNT eligible? But it ended up being a farce, and he’s obviously suited up for the US now

I think he would of been a starter for us with our lack of depth if he was actually eligible.

Edited by SoCalTransport

38 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Looks like Criscito is un-retiring and returning to play in Italy.

I'm guessing he didn't enjoy his time in Toronto, for whatever reason.

When a player of his age comes over, it's not just about what he wants, it's what his family wants also.

Look at Wayne Rooney he loved playing in the US, but his wife hated it here (mostly because no one knows or cares about who she is). 

To make a long story short, the wife controls everything. 😜

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Looks like Criscito is un-retiring and returning to play in Italy.

I'm guessing he didn't enjoy his time in Toronto, for whatever reason.

The prospect of playing in a similar back four?  Maybe the make up of the team in general?

I agree more with the home life/"settling" reason but if you think you're trapped in a sh*tshow on the field, regardless of the presence of two (much higher paid) compatriots, that exasperates the situation even more.

2 hours ago, reggietfc said:

not overhyped by TFC fans,with this FO and coaching staff

Yeah, I was gonna say "overhyped by whom?"

This is probably the quietest TFC offseason I've ever seen. It's like the club (and its marketing department) has fallen completely off the face of the Earth.

18 minutes ago, RS said:

Yeah, I was gonna say "overhyped by whom?"

This is probably the quietest TFC offseason I've ever seen. It's like the club (and its marketing department) has fallen completely off the face of the Earth.

do they have a marketing dept ?

On 1/4/2023 at 10:34 AM, reggietfc said:

not overhyped by TFC fans,with this FO and coaching staff

At this time of the year, it's hard to hype anything, so that's not the right word choice.  But with two of the top four league salary earners on their roster (and number one being a cool 6 mill ahead of second place), a massive team payroll as a by-product, older signings added to  veteran incumbents with some question marks surrounding health, this is essentially a one year window team, so expectations would probably be sky high for achievement in 2023.  And with that, high potential for disappointment.  That's what I was going for with my original post.

I see much more negative drama than positive excitement from play on the field.

Edited by BearcatSA

I hope they make their moves in the offseason though and dont wait for some mid summer signings to save the day like last season.  And a relatively quiet signing like Hedges, or back in the day bringing in effective backline players Moor, Beitashour and Morrow might bring more dividends than a flashy italian attacker.  

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

And a relatively quiet signing like Hedges, or back in the day bringing in effective backline players Moor, Beitashour and Morrow might bring more dividends than a flashy italian attacker.  

I think this is it exactly.  This team has some very good, high profile players.  It also has a couple of obvious gaps.  So what we need this offseason are a couple of quieter but solid signings to plug those gaps and somehow meld a bunch of talented individuals into a cohesive team.