TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

Toronto FC’s complete 2023 preseason schedule can be found below. 

TORONTO FC 2023 PRESEASON SCHEDULE DATES 

Friday, Jan. 6 – Players to report and undergo medicals 

Sunday, Jan. 8 – Team departs for San Diego, California

Friday, Jan. 27 – Team returns to Toronto

Wednesday, Feb. 2 – Team departs for San Diego, California

Sunday, Feb. 5 – Team departs for Indio, California 

TORONTO FC – FRIENDLY MATCH SCHEDULE

Wednesday, Feb. 8 – Toronto FC vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC (at Empire Polo Club)

Saturday, Feb. 11 – Toronto FC vs. LAFC (at Empire Polo Club)

Wednesday, Feb. 15 ­– Toronto FC vs. Portland Timbers (at Empire Polo Club)

Saturday, Feb. 18 – Toronto FC at. LA Galaxy (Dignity Health Sports Park)

1 minute ago, Kingston said:

At the moment, our presumptive starting d-line would be Hedges and MacNaughton in the middle with Laryea on the right and, I guess, JMR on the left.

Isnt O'Neill still around??  That still needs some work eh??  But it is a good start if Hedges has a couple years left in him.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I hope he is more Drew Moor and less Gonzalez.....if you know what I mean.   How much does he have left in the tank???  

Was going to comment on how this is a good move, but your post gave me some pause. We said the same about Gonzalez, didn't we? He was good for us at the start, but near the end he was a clear liability. 

The other issue is around money. Omar was a TAM player. TAMs and DPs are under the microscope more than GAMs, and had Gonzalez been on a GAM contract his fall off would have been viewed as less problematic. 

No idea of what Hedges was pulling in, but he's a big enough name that I fear he'll be a TAM signing. Hopefully not and hopefully he does have gas left in the tank. I am also going to try and be realistic and not put any big expectations on this signing like I did with Gonzalez.

That said, on paper he appears to be the top option at RCB. At minimum he should push MacNaughton to stay sharp. 

What happened to Mavinga by the way? Out of contract?

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

At the moment, our presumptive starting d-line would be Hedges and MacNaughton in the middle with Laryea on the right and, I guess, JMR on the left.

I think you'll see Laryea on the left and JMR (if he continues to play FB). Richie has demonstrated time and again that he can play both sides equally well. I haven't seen the same from Rutty.

Actually, I hope Rutty gets some minutes in the midfield this year. Nelson is ahead of him, but the club is reportedly open to selling Nelson now. I hope that's because they see Rutty as a central midfield player. I really think he has the vision and skillset to play there. He has the brain for it.

Not convinced he has the speed to maximize his potential if he's going to keep playing out wide. 

45 minutes ago, jordan said:

ethan findlay

I remember the Finlay stuff (which I think held more legitimacy in terms of a connection to Canada but he couldn't get citizenship still), but there was something about Matt Hedges too. Think it was a joke he made to Tesho that a reporter took seriously. 

17 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I remember the Finlay stuff (which I think held more legitimacy in terms of a connection to Canada but he couldn't get citizenship still), but there was something about Matt Hedges too. Think it was a joke he made to Tesho that a reporter took seriously. 

I looked it up, there are some links to tweets that have since been deleted

8 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Was there not a rumour on this board years back about Hedges being CanMNT eligible? But it ended up being a farce, and he’s obviously suited up for the US now

I think post-game in Vancouver he made a joke about someone in his family being Canadian and people ran with it. Something like that

On 12/16/2022 at 10:53 AM, Obinna said:

I think you'll see Laryea on the left and JMR (if he continues to play FB). Richie has demonstrated time and again that he can play both sides equally well. I haven't seen the same from Rutty.

Actually, I hope Rutty gets some minutes in the midfield this year. Nelson is ahead of him, but the club is reportedly open to selling Nelson now. I hope that's because they see Rutty as a central midfield player. I really think he has the vision and skillset to play there. He has the brain for it.

Not convinced he has the speed to maximize his potential if he's going to keep playing out wide. 

Are they going to give Kosi Thompson another look at RB?  I wonder how Chung will fit in this year.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Are they going to give Kosi Thompson another look at RB?  I wonder how Chung will fit in this year.

Thompson played the majority of his 1625 minutes at RB last year, but he did get reps towards the end of the season at centre mid. I understand that he's also naturally a CM. My bet is that he'll get reps in both spots, depending on what the situation is from game to game.

I see him and Chung vying for the back up spot behind Laryea, and depending on what they do with Rutty it may be 3 of them competing for the back up role. Alternatively, they may just play Richie on the left and give Rutty the starting RB spot, woth Chung/Thompson as the back ups.

I will be surprised if Thompson gets the starting role at RB, but not entirely surprised given how much he played there last year. 

RB - 2nd/3rd/4th string

1. Richie
  2. Rutty/Thompson/Chung (likely in that order)

CM - 5th/6th/7th string

1. Osorio
  2. Kaye
  3. Bradley
  4. Nelson (may be sold keep in mind)
  5. Vazquez 
  6. Thompson/Kerr (possibly in that order)