TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

"Impossible to forget, the highlight reel goals he gave up will be replayed forever.

More importantly, you don't want to forget your biggest mistakes, that's how you learn, everyone needs to learn from TFC's Bradley mistake.  You need to let them go, much bigger players have walked away with class, intelligence and respect.  It should not have been that big a deal to let Bradley walk away, they just deprived themselves of finding and playing his replacement."

Sorry, I moved this from the MLS thread.  Bradley is a tough one for me.  He did so much for the club, changing the attitude, leading the team, showing what a hard boiled professional was with his fierce desire.  However as his legs went that almost seemed to work against him, he was never subbed as he faded/wilted in games, he rarely sat a game out when he prob both the team and he would have benefitted from it.  And the whole business of shoe horning him into a CB, when he was exposed time and again (unfortunately on both goals last night in his send off, super embarassing) really turned me off.  Was he being a team player trying to fill a gap for the manager, or just that his drive/ego wouldnt allow him to be rotated out and used sparingly, where he prob could have shone bright again these last few seasons. Hard to say, but for me the sour taste in my mouth doesnt really make me look forward to him having a management position with the club, which I think at this point is inevitable.    

23 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

"Impossible to forget, the highlight reel goals he gave up will be replayed forever.

More importantly, you don't want to forget your biggest mistakes, that's how you learn, everyone needs to learn from TFC's Bradley mistake.  You need to let them go, much bigger players have walked away with class, intelligence and respect.  It should not have been that big a deal to let Bradley walk away, they just deprived themselves of finding and playing his replacement."

Sorry, I moved this from the MLS thread.  Bradley is a tough one for me.  He did so much for the club, changing the attitude, leading the team, showing what a hard boiled professional was with his fierce desire.  However as his legs went that almost seemed to work against him, he was never subbed as he faded/wilted in games, he rarely sat a game out when he prob both the team and he would have benefitted from it.  And the whole business of shoe horning him into a CB, when he was exposed time and again (unfortunately on both goals last night in his send off, super embarassing) really turned me off.  Was he being a team player trying to fill a gap for the manager, or just that his drive/ego wouldnt allow him to be rotated out and used sparingly, where he prob could have shone bright again these last few seasons. Hard to say, but for me the sour taste in my mouth doesnt really make me look forward to him having a management position with the club, which I think at this point is inevitable.    

Take a break and breath , this guy was a warrior , it’s not his fault that in the end management had no clue on how to rebuild a team after it’s period of glory started to end. After the 2019 season this team was so mismanaged and we see the results today. He took a club that was  just as bad as it is today and turned them into a champion with his leadership. MLSE as a whole doesn’t seem to know how to keep a team contending after a championship run look at the Raptors after their winning season. Bradley a legend and will go down in history as one of the greatest leaders of all time in all of Toronto sports . 

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Take a break and breath , this guy was a warrior , it’s not his fault that in the end management had no clue on how to rebuild a team after it’s period of glory started to end. After the 2019 season this team was so mismanaged and we see the results today. He took a club that was  just as bad as it is today and turned them into a champion with his leadership. MLSE as a whole doesn’t seem to know how to keep a team contending after a championship run look at the Raptors after their winning season. Bradley a legend and will go down in history as one of the greatest leaders of all time in all of Toronto sports . 

You're mixing three different things together and missing the bigger picture.

1- Yes MLSE is a mess and cannot manage it's way out of a drive through.

2- Bradley was a warrior. 

3- Bradley was a warrior.... in 2017.  That was 6 years ago, need to let it go.  If Pele and Maradona could walk away, so can Michael Bradley.  Bradley embarrassed himself and the organization by continuing on, even the commentators felt bad for him.  A player knows when he's done.  At least Bradley Sr was trying to get fired, the only excuse Michael has is ego, he was not helping or even trying to help TFC, he was doing it for himself. 

He'll be remembered for the good as well as the bad.

Edited by costarg

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

...After the 2019 season this team was so mismanaged and we see the results today. He took a club that was  just as bad as it is today and turned them into a champion with his leadership...

Think it was more Tim Bezbatchenko that was the key to TFC's success than Michael Bradley and it's no coincidence that things went south in a big way after he left in 2019.

The way Michael Bradlwy was burned for pace on one of those goals yesterday was laughable. He has hung around a couple of years longer than his ability to still perform properly at this level really merited and that will have revolved mainly around money given his likelihood of earning a comparable paycheque elsewhere if he had retired sooner was negligible.

Kind of why lucrative guaranteed multiyear deals running into a player's mid-30s are a risky move which brings us to the question of what Lorenzo Insigne is going to be like for TFC by 2025...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Really nothing to do with him being 36 now? Doubt the Italians are going anywhere so TFC better hope the chances they were creating in that last game start turning into goals again next season and that Herdman and the new front office guy that was just hired can finally find a centre forward who can link up with them properly.

How about a flyer on Josef Martinez. Miami is moving on, he’s 30 I believe and would be the most skilled striker we have had since Jozy.  Him with the Italians flanking him would be scary for the opposition.  Just need to ensure Herdman fired the physical training staff at TFC and hired one that can actually keep players on the pitch for a full season. Then they need to get a top CB in the Hedges mould (too bad he couldn’t stay healthy) and then go from there.  Johnson is good in net.  Then make the other 10 changes needed and boom - back in contention!

5 hours ago, YorkRegionFan said:

I blame Insigne and Berndeschi for Michael Bradley leaving.

You can blame who ever you want.  Bradley is finished, he has nothing left.  You want to build the team with and around him?  You think that would get TFC better results?

The Italians are still some of the best players in the league.  You just need to build around them in a proper system.  At the moment TFC is a race car on bicycle tires with a 6 year old driving, and Michael Bradley was one of those bike tires.

31 minutes ago, costarg said:

You can blame who ever you want.  Bradley is finished, he has nothing left. 

I am aware that he is done.  I was alluding to the fact that it would be nice if he could have stayed around the club in some capacity.

If someone has all the talent in the world, but is not willing to work to contribute to building up the team, that person is not a team player.  Football is a team game.  It takes 11 people on the pitch to succeed.  If someone's ego is too big, then it is best that you go.  The team is more important than the individual.  In 10 years, Insigne and Bernadeschji will be gone and forgotten, but the team will remain.  

1 hour ago, YorkRegionFan said:

I am aware that he is done.  I was alluding to the fact that it would be nice if he could have stayed around the club in some capacity.

If someone has all the talent in the world, but is not willing to work to contribute to building up the team, that person is not a team player.  Football is a team game.  It takes 11 people on the pitch to succeed.  If someone's ego is too big, then it is best that you go.  The team is more important than the individual.  In 10 years, Insigne and Bernadeschji will be gone and forgotten, but the team will remain.  

Does he want to stay? I'm sure this whole situation with his dad left a bitter taste in his mouth.

17 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Then they need to get a top CB in the Hedges mould (too bad he couldn’t stay healthy) and then go from there.

They need to start from there...again, like last season. This back line needs to be totally gutted.  In the last half of this season they were the laughing stock of the league:  ball watching, ball chasing, not marking close enough, no effort on recovery runs after getting beaten on a play, not mentally tough enough when adversity occurred.  Am I missing anything else here?  

Build your defensive shape and play, first and foremost.  Make yourself tough to beat, then you don't concede stupidly and are able to stay in the game without having to play catch up.

Edited by BearcatSA

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...