TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

No Bradley no MLS Cup in 2017 , the determination after losing to Seattle at BMO in penalties in the 2016 MLS Cup final that he showed to get the team back to the the MLS Cup final in 2017 is something I’ve rarely seen . His leadership was incredible in 2017 and like I said one of the main reasons they came back and got their revenge over Seattle to winning it . 

Edited by SoccMan

18 hours ago, narduch said:

I get the sense that Herdman isn't fucking around and will do his best to turn this around asap.

Not sure of that's the hopium talking 

I want to hope and believe this is Herdman laying down the law.  Turn the page, fresh start, no free rides, team comes first.  Strong and bold move.  Hope it is in fact the case.

18 hours ago, narduch said:

I get the sense that Herdman isn't fucking around and will do his best to turn this around asap.

I think yes.

First, he's being brought in expressly to produce a winner.

Second, he has no reason to pussy-foot around.  He has no ties to any of the squad or the decisions that were made about who to bring in previously.

Third, a literal majority of the players on this team need to go for this team to be rebuilt.

So, yes, he should be gutting things.

The hopium part might be that he can do it right in a single off season.  It should be possible as there are past examples in the league, but it isn't certain.

An article over at the MLS website about Herdman's view of Insigne and Bernardeschi:

Will Toronto FC’s 2023 MLS regular-season finale on Saturday (6 pm ET | MLS Season Pass) against Orlando City SC potentially serve as a farewell match for Lorenzo Insigne and Federico Bernardeschi?

If new head coach John Herdman gets his way, Decision Day won’t be the last we see of the superstar Italian duo in TFC uniforms.

“What I want to do is convince them that there is a new future here,” Herdman, who departed the Canadian men’s national team in August to take the reins at Toronto, told Neil Davidson of The Canadian Press in a recent interview. “And with their ability and their experiences, they can create that new future."

More at:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/herdman-insigne-bernardeschi-can-create-new-future-at-toronto-fc

2 hours ago, Kingston said:

Strange.  Most of the year is showed $7.5 million for both base salary and guaranteed compensation.

(Either of which is too high.)

Pretty sure there was a story out that Insigne complained they didn't show the proper number.

Seems like that's corrected now

20 hours ago, Kingston said:

Last game of the season.  I'm a bit curious to see what line up Orlando comes out with as this game is meaningless to them in terms of playoff standing.  Could end up being a fun one with lots of goals.

Perfectly set up for Herdman in terms of his image right? Takes over the last game a meaningless on for both teams , Orlando nothing to play for can basically play a B team , TFC fully fit more or less can play all their starters almost a guarantee win. They win their last game , Bradley’s last game so more motivation for TFC to win. TFC wins Herdman takes the credit and he looks good until the season starts in late February, Herdman the ultimate PR guy . However, come next season no more hiding it will all be on him .

39 minutes ago, Goal_Kick said:

Which is kind of remarkable when you think about it.   

It shows you yes new need talent but it’s a team game like any team game , need the all the players to buy in. Moreover, you need the proper mix of players , need the proper ingredients and a good chef , you just can’t throw any players together no matter how many talented ones you have. Also in a league like the MLS where you only have so many players you can pay a certain amount you really have to be careful the players you pick to pay more money too. Yes I wish they would just have maximum cap for every team rather than all these different designations of players, it  would make it easier for everyone. However, for now it is what it is and these big spenders need to do a better job picking the right players to give these big pay days too.